enough is enough take MATT RYAN!! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

enough is enough take MATT RYAN!!

I don’t see Matt Ryans stats as indicative of a number one over all. I know that stats aren’t the be all end all for rating a player. They do tell you a lot more about a QB then some other positions. I’m just going to look at his last season.

First the line: cmp: 388 att: 654 pct: 59.3 yrds: 4507 avg: 6.9 td: 31 int: 19 Sacks: 21 rat: 127

The good: 31 TDs and 4507 yards.
The bad: 6.9 avg d 19 INTs

HE threw a lot of picks. He threw multiple picks against every good team he faced. He has explained this by saying his coach told him to be more aggressive, but as was pointed out in a previous post, his yards per attempt average don’t match this. They are pretty average and show a lot of dump offs. In fact his leading receiver was his running back who had 22 catches more than the next closest receiver.

For comparison here are the last few QBS that went 1 overall last year of college TD and INT stats:

Jamarcuss Russel 28 TDs 8 INTs
Ales Smith 32 TDs 4 INTs
Eli manning 31 TDs 10 INTs
Carson Palmer 33 TDs 10 INTs
David Carr 46 TDs 9 INTs

That’s a pretty wide range of college teams, with varying levels of competition, talent on their team, systems ran etc...

Further more, when I watch him play I don’t see him dominate. Don’t get me wrong he is a good QB, but I don’t see him as hugely better than the top 3 or 4 QBs in this draft, and this is a weak QB draft. Why miss out on what IMO will be a team changing player like Chris Long, for a slightly better than average QB?

Again with the stats. Great. Maybe we should have drafted Jason White real high a few years ago. He had great stats.

Again with the stats. Great. Maybe we should have drafted Jason White real high a few years ago. He had great stats.

You're right we should throw all stats out, they are in no way refelective of what happens on the field. It's not like they keep track of when a QB scores or... oh wait..

Come on, I specificaly stated that stats aren't the only thing to judge a pick on. They do have their place and they are useful. Ingoring them is silly. If a running back catches the most passes, chances are you dump it off a lot. We aren't talking about a DT who can have a monster game and not register a single tracked statistic.

No thank you...Jake Long(1a) or Gholston(1b). Flacco in the 2nd.

If Flacco would have gone to Michigan, Florida, or USC he'd probably be the number QB prospect this year.

I'm not that high on Flacco or any QB this year, but Flacco, Brohm, or Henne after our first pick would be ok.

Ryan dumped the ball off a lot because his running back was a better receiver than the receivers he had on the field. They were awful and could not separate from the defensive backs. Also, his fastest wide receiver probably runs a 4.7-4.8. That too is not conducive to getting down field.

When I pop in the tape I see a very accurate, aggressive quarterback who overcame his division two wide receivers to consistently make plays that very few quarterbacks can make.

Enough of the damn Matt Ryan crap already.

Do we need a QB still? Probably.

Is Matt Ryan worth the #1 pick in the draft? Hell NO!

For the life of me, I can't see why Ryan is getting all of this hype. I didn't understand the hype when he was (for some reason) getting talked about for the Heisman, and I don't understand the hype now. IMO Brohm is a better QB prospect than Ryan - and neither of them are worth the #1 overall.

You might want to tone it down just in case you are wrong. Unlikely, I know. But just in case.

You might want to tone it down just in case you are wrong. Unlikely, I know. But just in case.
I think the same could be said on both sides. It's arguments like these that make me love the draft though :lol:

That will be accurate when I start using phrases like "damn Matt Ryan crap already" and "Hell NO".

I do not think McCown is the answer, but Matt Ryan is NOT worthy of the 1st overall pick. He makes poor decisions and chokes in big games!! Did you all watch him choke it up against a mediocre FSU defense this past year?? He had all the Heisman hype, but blew it!! BC fans need to stop giving this guy more credit than he deserves.

Ryan dumped the ball off a lot because his running back was a better receiver than the receivers he had on the field. They were awful and could not separate from the defensive backs. Also, his fastest wide receiver probably runs a 4.7-4.8. That too is not conducive to getting down field.

When I pop in the tape I see a very accurate, aggressive quarterback who overcame his division two wide receivers to consistently make plays that very few quarterbacks can make.

This is a good response.

Of the two QBs listed that went to comparably sized schools Eli’s leading receivers were Chris Collins and Bill Flowers, and Alex Smiths were Steve Savoy and Paris Warren. So, I’m not really buying the lack of talent thing. The games I saw he didn’t show high accuracy. He was above average but not great. Which game should I look at see great accuracy? He has good size. He has a decent arm. But I don’t see anything about him that says “I am greatâ€. Honestly, I didn’t see anything other than his size that makes me think he is going to be better than Beck. That isn’t the guy you draft with the number one overall.

This is a good response.

Of the two QBs listed that went to comparably sized schools Eli’s leading receivers were Chris Collins and Bill Flowers, and Alex Smiths were Steve Savoy and Paris Warren. So, I’m not really buying the lack of talent thing. The games I saw he didn’t show high accuracy. He was above average but not great. Which game should I look at see great accuracy? He has good size. He has a decent arm. But I don’t see anything about him that says “I am greatâ€. Honestly, I didn’t see anything other than his size that makes me think he is going to be better than Beck. That isn’t the guy you draft with the number one overall.

You mean Chris Collins the first team all SEC WR in 03? Or the Steve Savoy and Paris Warren the all Moutain west first team WR's in 03-04? Ryan did not have one skill position offensive player on the All ACC team except for his TE. Personally, that does lead me to believe Ryan lacked any type of talent around him at the skill positions.

I'm won't say I don't have some concerns over his mistakes, but the mistakes can be somewhat explained by a guy that had to do everything to win with little talent around him and every defense knowing he had to throw the ball for them to win. Tough to have a lot of accuracy when you don't have WR's that gain any separation and balls are constantly being squeezed into tight spaces. Again, the turnvovers concern me too, but just playing a little devils advocate to add some perspective.

this is my first post, i been reading stuff on here for 2 years. we need a QB!! mcCowen..are you kidding me. this is are what 7 QB in 8 or 9 years. I don't understand it why are fans on here against taking Ryan?? McCowen isn't no all star and we are not going 11-5 no time soon so why not?? Every year we have some back up that we hope will be great. this has been going on one third of my life and every year is the same story..Please take a QB in the first round who mite be good, not a QB who we know will never be nothing. i heard the same things about beck last year. "he mite be good" and lets go beck he will be good" thats what people are now saying about Falco..it's beck part 2. lets take someone who we can have hope for take RYAN. If any dolphin fan has bought a QB jersey since Marino it's been a waste of money, we have a new starter every year or two.. we need RYAN. Every team in the playoffs starts with a good QB.

Mccowen will be our Back-up.

Back
Top Bottom