ESPN Power Rankings | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN Power Rankings

Reading the comments for the Fins and Bills really makes it obvious that whoever wrote them didn't watch the game.

And for those that don't understand the difference between a divisional game and a non-divisional game: Ask a Steelers fan how many years they've swept the lowly Cleveland Browns and they'll tell you that they usually split. There's a huge difference, particularly when playing on the road and coming away with a win.

That said, I don't think it really matters until we get past the midway point of the season.

I disagree with some of the teams ahead of us, but I really don't have much of a quarrel with the #15 placement, this team still has a lot left to prove.

Some of these comments have me thinking many of you aren't looking at how power rankings work this early on.

Before week 1 of the regular season, all power rankings (other than say, the top 4 or 5 teams) are highly speculative and have little points of reference beyond off-season acquisitions and the previous year's performance. What exactly did Miami do to be a borderline top-10 team before even playing a down this season? Go 7-9, show potential, and add talent. I would expect a top 11 team to be an established contender, which we have not proven as of yet.

After week 1 has been played, the previous power rankings are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if Miami dropped 4 spots by winning against a terrible team and San Diego dropped 4 spots by losing to a bad/potentially average team, that only counts once we have a clear picture of how good each of the teams really are. Until then, this just means that after seeing 1 week of play, John Clayton thinks Miami is the 15th best team in the league. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom