Favorite moment as a Dophin Fan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by undefeated72, Jan 10, 2013.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. undefeated72

undefeated72 old-timer Donator

As an old timer this is a no brainer or me. I was just 21 years old and had been a Dolfan fan since they entered the old AFL when they had undefeated season in 1972. But I got to wondering what about all of those Dolphin fans who have not experienced the Dolphins winning a Super Bowl. What is your favorite moment? Or if you did experience the Super Bowl years, do you have a different favorite moment?

2. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

As an old timer myself, of course my favorite moment was watching Don Shula being carried off the field after winning Super Bowl VII.

Perhaps my favorite moment came a year earlier when **** Anderson return that interception 62 yards against the Colts in the AFC Championship game. It is probably one the greatest plays in NFL history that rarely if ever gets talked about.

3. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Definitely the 72 Super Bowl for me.

4. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Any time we beat the Jets..............

5. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

1982 AFC Championship game, 1984 AFC Championship was good but I still felt like oh crap thinking about the 49ers. Even as a child I knew deep down inside they weren't beating the 49ers.

Fulton Walker's kickoff return in the Super Bowl might be the high point. One half of football away from a championship. Never thought that 30 minutes away from a title was going to turn into 30 years +.

The Bears game in 85, a regular season game maybe you have to have been a fan at the time to understand.

The 2008 division title was nice too after so much losing. A lot had to go right for that happen and it was the only bright spot in recent memory. It didn't last long but it was nice to say the Dolphins are AFC East champs, the Dolphins are in the playoffs even if it was only for a little while.

I hope Philbin can get us use to winning the division every year and going to the playoffs like the early 80s, if they can do that chances are they will snatch a title in there somewhere!

6. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

Since I wasn't alive in the '70s and only one year old for the '84 Super Bowl run, I'll say my first ever trip to Miami for a home game in 1998. It was the Monday night game, Marino vs. Elway, and Dan tore it up. We won that game 31-21 and the crowd was loud and lively for a national TV primetime game. Something I hope is a staple coming in the near future.

7. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

As a youngster my favorite moment was when we beat the jets in the afc champioship game.

Later in life I would say it was being at the post 9/11 game vs the raiders when fiedler won it the final seconds. Great crowd, great game.

8. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

The game @Jets with Pennington is my fav recent moments.

1. We beat the Jets
    2. Penny gets revenge
    3. Pats dont make the playoffs
    4. We make the playoffs

Trifecta +1 !

9. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Hook and lateral is up there.

10. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

1992 AFC Divisional vs San Diego, 31-0

11. Bopkin02

Bopkin02 Seasoned Veteran

Became a fan in 1975, so I missed the Super Bowls.
    But at the top of the list are:
    The Marino Spike Game.
    The Lamar Smith run in overtime vs the Colts in the playoffs, topping off a phenomenal rushing day and a 2 TD comeback, 2000 season.
    1982 AFC Championship vs Jets(AJ Duhe game)

12. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

For some reason the 2007 game against Baltimore when Camarillo caught the TD in overtime to prevent us from having a winless season brought me to tears. No other game has made me tear up before and I've been a dolphins fan since I was a kid and am 35 years old now. Those guys felt like they won the superbowl that day. That season was so horrible and watching the players go nuts after the game was like being showered with relief. I just broke down. Great moment for me

13. chriscraft84

chriscraft84 cuse fin fan

Long time fan, but one of my favorite moments was this year when I attended my first home game vs the jags. A good friend set up the whole weekend. We had dinner the night before at the Hard Rock hotel with Sam Madison, arrived at the staidum at 10 am tailgated at the paul & young Ron Burger zone. Meet Kim Bokamper, had on field passes for pre-game. They added the undefeted season and Bill arnsbarger to the ring of honor. saw Shula,Csonka,Warfield,Griese, What a great weekend, Thanks Michael

14. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

I'm not old enough to remember any of the season where the 'Phins were among the NFL elite. That leaves my favorite memory when Lamar Smith won that Wild Card game against Indianapolis in OT back in 2002 (I think?). In hindsight, that game left Miami completely drained for their next game against Oakland, and we got spanked. But that OT drive was probably the most exciting thing I've personally experienced as a Miami fan...

15. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

This was my first Dolphins game since becoming a fan in 5th grade(1992). Amazing game to be apart of.

I still remember crying as a young child when Pete missed that FG v.s San Diego. To think times have gotten worse since then with all these miserable seasons. Success is right around the corner!

16. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

beating the chiefs 17-16 in the 90 playoffs (jan of 91) when Dan got hot in the 4th quarter, i'm to young to remember anything before the late 80's, so i have fond memories of the 90, and 92 teams, even though we couldnt get by the bills. the game we lost the next week in buffalo 44-34 stands out in my memory because of the snowstorm and small comeback we had in that game. after those childhood memories it would have to be penningtons revenge, but it hurts to have to go back so far and still not come up with any superbowls, or even afc championship game appearances.

17. PASQUALE

PASQUALE Seasoned Veteran

Well I have a lot of them. But, my greatest moment ever as a Dolphins fan was to meet my idol Dan Marino #13 in 1999 in Oakland. He signed my Construction Helmet. I still have it. I also got autographs from Olindo Mare #10 , OJ McDuffie #81, Damon Huard #11 , Floyd Rodgers #59, Shawn Wooden #22, Calvin Jackson #38, Troy Drayton #84. We won 16-9. Dan was hurt that year. But, Jimmy Johnson had them prepared. I went to the busses and I saw most of the players. It was a great time!

18. state06

state06 A True Fan

my favorite was when we beat NYJ when they had Favre. Their last game in Giants stadium. I was able to be on the field with the team during warmups. Kicked their asses and watched rookies like Philip Merling play well!

19. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

I met OJ McDuffie when he was 18 trying to make the Penn State squad. I watched him play in the blue white game.

20. TPD1479

TPD1479 Seasoned Veteran

The fake spike....great moment.

21. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

My first home game in Miami ...

Sage "Bring-em-back-alive" Rosenfels leads us to three late touchdowns to erase a 20 point deficit vs. the Bills.

Stadium was at least half empty by that point, and it was still one of the loudest damn places I've ever been in my life. My voice was gone for two days after that. It was awesome!!!

22. hab321

hab321 Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember the Super Bowl victories (was 6 and 7 respectively). However, my favorite memories are both from the '82 season. A late field goal by Von Schamann beating the Jets in the Orange Bowl and then of course the '82 AFC championship game. It sure seemed like we were destined in '82.
    (Of course two of my worst memories are from that season too, the Riggins run killed me (I still can't watch that play) as well as watching Theismann swat the bobbled pass out of (I think) Baumhower's hands in the end zone).

23. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Trace armstrong sacking flutie on our 2yard line to cause the fumble and end the game in the playoffs against that crappy doug flutie and the bills

24. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I was at Buffalo wearing a Zach Thomas jersey (OF WHICH I RECEIVED CONSIDERABLE CRAP)

The date was December 17,2006 we lost that day to Buffalo 21-0 but I have never seen in my over 40 years of football
    The effort that Zach Thomas gave that day...He had 21 tackles and 2 forced fumbles

While I was leaving the stadium so many fans were complimenting me on the Zach Thomas jersey
    and how great they thought Thomas was ...I will never forget the effort Zach put in that day!!

25. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

I'm only 22 years old. But to be honest I haven't found that all time favorite play yet or favorite moment. Hopefully in time I will get to witness something as great as what most of they older fans have seen. As they say... History tends to repeat itself.

26. s70pimp

s70pimp Rookie

Was in emergency room with our baby girl this past Christmas due to a bad cold and lung infection. Met Ryan Tanehill and his Wife. They were giving out presents to children in the ER and gave my little girl a stuffed animal. Glad to see those guys giving back.

27. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Besides the SB wins when I was a kid.....I would go with watching Olindo Mare kicking a game winning 53 yard field goal at Mile High Stadium, to beat the Denver Donkeys 24-22 in 2002.

28. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

I have 2:

1/ When we unleashed the wildcat on the Pats and embarrassed the hell out of them.
    2/ When we beat the Jets with Pennington to win the AFC East and sealed it with a Favre INT.

29. So Be

So Be A True Fan

For me, it was meeting Shula at his steak house, years ago. He took the time to spend a few minutes, and it was Special. I met Ali in the Bahamas for the Berbick fight, and they were both very similar in talking to legends of history. I will never forget either.

30. PASQUALE

PASQUALE Seasoned Veteran

******* A!! OJ was a damn good player for us back then. Thanks for sharing.

31. ladeback

ladeback Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

I have a few but I'll list one that probably wont get much love if any. 1992 Miami @ Buffalo. 37-10. We just picked up Keith Jackson and he made an immediate impact. But I remember it mainly due to Louis Oliver and his 3 ints, taking the last back 103 yards for a td to ice the game. Also, Louis Oliver and Mark Clayton taunting the crowd afterwards... "let's go Buffalo!!! Duh-duh-duh-duh" Classic.

32. electrolyte

electrolyte A True Fan

im among the under 30 yrs old fans so I only know the very end of Marino's career and then the 14 years of crappy football since.

if I had to pick?

2009 Monday Night Football - Jets @ Dolphins...... Ricky and Ronnie wildcat them to death, with ronnie rushing TD to win the game with 20 seconds left in the 4th quarter. even ted ginn caught a long bomb for a TD on the supposed best CB in the game darelle revis. the game was epic.

33. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Second quarter of Super Bowl VII vs. the Redskins. It was still scoreless and we had blown several chances, including the penalty wiping out the long touchdown pass to Warfield. I had been frantically rooting for every play, along with the rest of my family. Then suddenly I had a realization that we were controlling the game, were the superior team, and everything would take care of itself. It was a remarkable calm sensation, a certainty that it would happen, the championship and unbeaten season. For several minutes I stopped stressing every play and merely observed my family members, still shouting and pacing.

Prior to that game Dolphin fans were anything but confident and sure. Don't let anybody pretend otherwise. There are always scattered examples of fans who think we'll win every game every season. But the overriding concern was the NFC was still the stronger conference, based on NFL roots, and we were in danger of being exposed again. I wasn't optimistic or pessimistic heading into that game. Once I'd seen about 20 minutes of play I was convinced we'd prevail. Fernandez was dictating the defensive front. Griese was healthy, calm and in control. Our offensive line was starting to get to them. I can still envision where I was standing, and the images as I looked around the room, once the calming realization hit me.

Recently, it's not even close: New England losing the Super Bowl and to the Giants in 2007 was the greatest moment in Dolphin franchise history since our second Super Bowl win. Keuchenberg described it that way and he's absolutely correct. If that unbeaten feat had been matched, particularly by a division rival, suddenly our trump card is gone and the four decades of subsequent failure is front and center.

34. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 A True Fan

the day sparano got fired.

35. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Yep, and we knocked both the Jets and the Pats out of the playoffs with that win.

36. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Both superbowls for me tho I was 12 and 13 in those years....after that, the best "moment" was seeing AJ Duhe getting his 3rd pick of the day and running it in for a TD to seal the deal back in 82.

Ozzy rules!!

37. undefeated72

undefeated72 old-timer Donator

This is a fantastic walk down memory lane for me. Thanks fellow Dolphin fans. So may fantastic memories and as one person wrote "history repets itself" so there are many more to come.

38. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

1992 Divisional playoffs 31-0 vs Chargers(I was there in the rain)
    The wildcat game vs Patriots
    Louis Oliver 103 yard int game vs Bills

39. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Has to be the only time since I've been a hardcore fan that the Dolphins have really won something - 2008 season finale against the Jets in their home turf with the QB they released in camp, beating them for the division. I've seen enough fun games that didn't amount to anything so I can't really count them - 2008 was the year where we finally made those splash wins add up to a playoff berth for the first time in 7 years.

40. JDRA20

JDRA20 Well-Known Member

When Greg Camarillo prevented us from being the only undefeated and winless team. :sidelol:

41. Jamaicankid21

Jamaicankid21 A True Fan

I'm going with Run Ricky Run vs Buffalo in the snow. I'm a younger Dolphin fan, so I don't remember a lot of the Marino days sadly. Especially since I didn't have NFL ticket and I lived in Arizona, but I watched a lot of Dolphins during the Ricky era. Loved watching him play.

42. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

I loved that game. With the win we went to 5-1 if I remember correctly and then it all fell apart. Won some cash on that kick as well.

43. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Well since i'm only 19 I don't have many lol

I would have to say when Pennington beat the Jets and clinched the division with that win!

44. El Calebra

El Calebra Fan Finheaven VIP Donator

The win over Dallas on Thanksgiving day. Ice field. I still am owed $30.00 on that bet. The SOB never paid me and I have not forgotten.

45. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Pennington beating the Jests in 2008 and Lamar Smith's game winning TD vs the colts

46. SanDiegoFinFan7

SanDiegoFinFan7 Well-Known Member

Seeing how I'm only 20, so far my favorite memory is Penny returning to the meadowlands to beat the New York Jets to get into the playoffs/win the division. Magical season even though we didn't go anywhere in the playoffs.

47. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Didn't we lose to Buffalo even when Ricky got over 200? That was the last game of the Ray Lucas abomination, and for all the good Ricky did, Lucas outdid him with terrible. He got hurt in that game and a Fiedler who could barely hold the ball with a still injured thumb in the snow came in and couldn't do anything.

48. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I would have to say Marino's first game back from the injury.

Second would be Lamar Smith against Indy. I will never forget that celebration at my house.

49. Jamaicankid21

Jamaicankid21 A True Fan

I think we did lose that game. Ricky was amazing in that game though. I was pre-teen at the time so I don't have a lot of history as a Dolphins fans. Ricky carried the ball 27 times. Fielder and Lucas threw it 20 times and Minor ran it 4 and Lucas 3 times which is 27 as well. Ricky had so many carries that year. 383?? That is over 30 more times Peterson carried the ball this year. He went 2216 yards from scrimmage. He ran it 393 times the follow year. I think 400 was next? Dolphins think this team is predictable. Remember the Ricky era? He got the ball almost every first down.. My 3 favorite moments were.

1. Run Ricky Run in Buffalo.
    2. Greg Cam big time run in OT saving us from going 0-16
    3. Pennington vs the Jets beating Favre.

50. AJDUHEJETKILLER

AJDUHEJETKILLER AJ DUHE JET KILLER

I flew down from Seattle for that game. Fielders third down conversion to set up the field goal is classic.

so many to choose from, DUHE in AFDC championship game, unveiling of the wildcat, beating Dallas on thanksgiving, crushing flutie flakes, shulas all time winningest coach game in Philly, but seriously lately it has to be

18 and one GIANT loss for the patsies!

great post, many memories.