Feeley brought in too backup???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley brought in too backup????

Finsflurry said:
First of all it's never crossed my mind that we brought him in as a backup, and I don't know what would make you come to that conclusion. AJ Feeley was brought in to upgrade the QB position for the Dolphins and take the job , and nearly every one in our FO had faith in him to come and do it and I agree with them. Feeley was not brought in here to the backup in any way,shape, or form, at the time we didn't know if we were even bringing Fiedler back so to say he was brought here to back up Jay is ridiculous...the reason we brought him in was because Plan A & B fell through, namely Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey. At the time we were still speculating on who would be cut so we didn't know that Garcia, Collins, Warner, and Couch would be available and rather than wait and piss the fans off by having only Fiedler in there, they made the move for Feeley. The only, and I mean only, reason that Fiedler is here is because he knows the offense and the team, last year the entire coaching staff lost their faith in him during the year and upgrading QB was an offseason priority for this team. Their not stupid, they know what would happen if they traded a high draft pick for a backup, this town would mutiny if Jay started again and we didn't go far in the playoffs. Trust me, Jay might be splitting time with Feeley right now, but that's only because AJ is not comfortable yet, once TC rolls around you'll see AJ start to separate himself and win the job easily.

I agree 100%. The competition is sorta of a smoke screen. The Front Office intends for Feeley to start. They intended that the day they traded for him and even now. If Feeley comes out and flops(and I mean really flop), Fielder will start. But by saying "Fair" competition they can save there butts is Feeley doesn't work out. If both players come out neck-n-neck. Feeley wins the job. I would bet you almost anything that Feeley will start day 1 against Tennessee.

Ross said:
He can't make Feilder any better. Feilder's strenghts and weaknessess are unteachable. His instinct in the pocket is only bettered by a few QB's, His accuracy last year was like a yo-yo and Sometimes high, sometimes behind, and rarely exactly on target...

Griese had much better acuracy than Feilder, and if he had anything close to Jay's pocket awareness he'd still be here.

Just listening to the camp reports It sounds like Feely has it all over Jay on accuracy. Not shocking. Feely is going to need eyes in the back of his head when he first steps behind our brandnew Oline or it isn't going to matter how much more accurate he is than Jay...

--Ross

I disagree, when Jay had a position coach he's played really well, with Mike Shula 2 years ago, Jay was playing lights out until he got hurt in the Denver game. Even the last 2 games of that year the O put up some good points, well enough to win, the D stumbled in those 2 games. Last year without a position coach, Jay regressed a lot.

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:
throwing the towel in then huh? um he got us to a 10-6 record last year...uh that isnt that bad...doesnt matter if we made the playoffs or not(well it matters but) 10 wins is good ok...your acting as though he wouldnt win won game with us

ROFLMAO! You DO know that his LAST five games (that being his most RECENT games) were just SLIGHTLY better than Brian's games as starters right? ROFLMAO, SAME record, only 100 more yards, one less turnover...yeah, there's a real winner for you :roflmao: :roflmao:

LIQUID24 said:
It's called "Change (in the House of Flies)"

AWESOME song :)

"I've watched you change
Into a fly
I looked away
You were on fire"

I love the Deftones, seen em live about a year ago. "Passenger" is a kick azz song!

Anyways, back on topic... Feeley was brought in to compete for the starting QB job, just like Brian Griese, and just like Ray Lucas. However, this doesn't mean he is guarenteed the starting job. He has to earn it.

warner...no thanks, Garcia...a product of the system and on the downside of his career, Brunell...who knows?, but is old and expensive, collins?...good possibility but has looked like griese when the pocket explodes...which might happen this year alot, Feeley...maybe a diamond in the rough?, maybe Fiedler with a stronger arm? either way we did'nt sell the store for an old man and kept cap space to take care of chambers and maybe O-Gun

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:
throwing the towel in then huh? um he got us to a 10-6 record last year...uh that isnt that bad...doesnt matter if we made the playoffs or not(well it matters but) 10 wins is good ok...your acting as though he wouldnt win won game with us
That pretty much sums up the malaise of many Dolphin fans these days, especially the young fans who are only old enough to remember these last 8 or 9 years:

"Doesn't matter if we made the playoffs or not"

This is about being good enough to win a championship, not good enough to beat the bad teams on your schedule every year and eek out a winning record.

Jay Fiedler will never lead a team a team to a Championship....too inconsistent.......period

I think when Spielman brought in AJ Feeley, he fully planned on shipping Fiedler out for a draft pick or just cutting him outright, and bringing in one of the veterans that looked like they might become available (Warner, Garcia, Gannon, etc). But then I think Wannstedt kind of pulled a power move and said no, do not bring in some washed up guy when we've got a QB on the roster who already knows the system as well or better than the coaches, and has 4 years of experience with this team and some of the players. I think he convinced Spielman, that guys like Warner, Garcia, and Gannon were not upgrades over Fiedler, given the fact they would have to learn a new system. Unfortunately after DW convinced Spielman, some names popped up on the waiver wire that I don't think they expected to be available (Kerry Collins and Tim Couch).

rickeyrunsover said:
IF jay wins the job. it is because AJ isnt ready yet, that is the only reason. At some point AJ will be the qb.

thats it. hey, what happend when Testeverde lost his job to Pennignton? Pennington came in half way through and the world was stunned. the world didnt know how to defend him cus he was new and in the middle of everything. i cant believe how people react nowadays. speculation? i could speculate all day. doesnt mean anything except dangerous perceptions of untruths that are spread through fear and hate. basically the democratic party. :roflmao:

BLUEPHIN said:
Brunell...who knows?, but is old and expensive,
That's another question. You call Brunnel old but he was Spielmans first choice and had to settle for someone like Feely and banking on his potential. People knew what you guys were getting with Lucas and Griese. No one really knows about Feely and just trusting Spielmans gut feelings. Another worry is that Spielman himself is not a proven GM. He could very well be a Wolf or just a 711 manager.

ckparrothead said:
I think when Spielman brought in AJ Feeley, he fully planned on shipping Fiedler out for a draft pick or just cutting him outright, and bringing in one of the veterans that looked like they might become available (Warner, Garcia, Gannon, etc). But then I think Wannstedt kind of pulled a power move and said no, do not bring in some washed up guy when we've got a QB on the roster who already knows the system as well or better than the coaches, and has 4 years of experience with this team and some of the players. I think he convinced Spielman, that guys like Warner, Garcia, and Gannon were not upgrades over Fiedler, given the fact they would have to learn a new system. Unfortunately after DW convinced Spielman, some names popped up on the waiver wire that I don't think they expected to be available (Kerry Collins and Tim Couch).

I think not. Spielman never said anything about JF being gone. The media and all of us did. If you have watched spielman at work (that means the little things too), he has brought in all kinds of players where a few worked out and most were sent packing. He is constantly trying to find the next Ogun, the next guy to come from nowhere. When he got feeley, that was his thinking, along with others thinking. but that doesnt mean feeley wins the job by default. you would have to be an idiot to think or act upon that notion. And bring in a veteran? Jay fiedler is a veteran who knows the terminology of this offense and who wins us ball games. the idea is to have a 1-2 punch at QB to get you through the tough times. whoever doesnt make the most mistakes wins in the end. Bringing in Kerry Collins isnt going to gaurrantee you anything more than JF can. I dont think Wanny pulled anything here. I think Spielman likes JF and knows that most everything is not his fault. DEfense lost us some games last year. LT spot lost us some games last year. Oline in general lost us some games last year. i could point all day to stuff other people did last year, but it all comes back to JF. JF is not sexy.

Justasportsfan said:
That's another question. You call Brunnel old but he was Spielmans first choice and had to settle for someone like Feely and banking on his potential. People knew what you guys were getting with Lucas and Griese. No one really knows about Feely and just trusting Spielmans gut feelings. Another worry is that Spielman himself is not a proven GM. He could very well be a Wolf or just a 711 manager.

oh you mean a proven GM like Donohoe? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

If we'd managed to get Brunell, you guys wouldn't have gotten Losman, because Spielman was going to draft a young guy to learn under Brunell. Its all relative. Everyone has to "settle" The Bills wanted Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, or Eli Manning but had to "settle" for JP Losman. It doesn't mean he won't be a good QB and doesn't have a shot at being better than the other three. Such is the case with Feeley.

I think at this point unless Feeley blows us away in preseason (and that is a strong possibility, in Philly he was known as a guy who performed far better during games than in practice) Fiedler will start the season as our QB however I do expect that we will see Feeley come in sometime before mid-season, and I am almost positive, that Feeley will retain the job from then on.

finfan54 said:
oh you mean a proven GM like Donohoe? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Anyone who laughs at Donahoe obviously does not know his football.

Nublar7 said:
I agree 100%. The competition is sorta of a smoke screen. The Front Office intends for Feeley to start. They intended that the day they traded for him and even now. If Feeley comes out and flops(and I mean really flop), Fielder will start. But by saying "Fair" competition they can save there butts is Feeley doesn't work out. If both players come out neck-n-neck. Feeley wins the job. I would bet you almost anything that Feeley will start day 1 against Tennessee.

Peter King agrees with you.

By the way they practice and by the number of snaps they give to a guy, coaches are able to create an unlevel playing field when it comes to who they want to win a starting job. I would be very surprised if Feeley doesn't win it, just because so much of what Wannstedt and [general manager] Rick Spielman did this offseason, in terms of trading the pick for a quarterback whom they were sure would be a starter when they traded for him. Even though the Dolphins have said all the right things about it being an open competition, make no mistake, this is Feeley's job to lose.

As the quarterbacks turn

think not. Spielman never said anything about JF being gone. The media and all of us did. If you have watched spielman at work (that means the little things too), he has brought in all kinds of players where a few worked out and most were sent packing.

Actually Spielman immediately gave Jay Fiedler permission to seek a trade. What does that tell you? Fiedler went around and said to friends and family pretty explicitly that he was probably going to be cut or traded, and it wasn't until Dave Wannstedt had a sit-down meeting with Fiedler, that Fiedler decided to stay and fight for the job. At that time, Wannstedt convinced Spielman not to dump Fiedler.

The most telling quote to me, aside from Spielman actually telling Fiedler to seek a trade, was in a recent Q&A someone asked him why AJ Feeley and Spielman said "We went into this offseason trying to get as many quality quarterbacks as we could. At the time, there was an opportunity to jump on a young quarterback like A.J. Feeley."

To me this is a clear indication that he planned on acquiring more than one quarterback when the offseason began...and if that and giving Fiedler permission to seek a trade don't squeeze Fiedler out of the picture then I don't know what does.

Don't knock the media so much. They know a lot more about the situations than they actually print, which is to say more than you and I. They get to speak candidly with people who say things off the record and are much closer to the situations than any of us. That doesn't mean their word is gospel, but if you're smart about it you can pick up where they might be speculating and where they probably have something they found out or heard from someone.

Back
Top Bottom