Fiedler Me This, Fiedler Me That | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Me This, Fiedler Me That

So what's your opinion of Tom Brady? How do you think he will do this season?

KB, I was just wondering if you could post some facts or statistics to support your arguement. You usually make very intelleigent posts, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. Statistically, Fiedler had an above average year last year, with a QB rating of 80.3. Of course I'm assuming a rating of 75 is average. This is with all his "mistakes". In comparison, Trent Dilfer had a QB rating of 76.6 when he won the SuperBowl with Baltimore, and Tom Brady had a rating of 86.5 last season. Take away the 5 or 6 picks that weren't his fault, and Fiedler statistically has an equal or better year than Mr. Brady. Granted Brady is not exactly a star himself, but this merely shows that Fiedler is indeed adequate to win a Superbowl. In fact, I think I can truthfully say he is more than adequate to win a Superbowl.

Brady is not worse than Fiedler. I knew Brady would be a starting QB when he came out of Michigan. I had him as the 2nd rated QB in the entire 2000 draft. I felt that he showed excellent poise in the pocket at Michigan and he threw the tough deep balls well. Michigan likes to throw the deep corner route to the TE, and Brady threw that pass very well. He also showed me the ability to be able to drop back and drill the pass into coverage. He reads the defense a lot quicker than Jay, and he's a lot cooler in the pocket than Jay. Brady doesn't need to be in an offense where it's read one, read two, and run. He can actually scan and survey the field, make his decision, and his release is quick enough to get the ball out quickly.

Brady will do nothing but get better. He's a better prospect than Brian Griese was.

The stats that are out there show the Fiedler only completes around 21% of the passes he attempts that are 20 yards or longer. He also has a 66 or 67% percentage on the # of incompletions due to bad passes. The stats for the receivers bear out that they were one of the best groups in the league at getting open, so there is no excuse for your QB to make so many terrible throws.

I don't claim him. When people talk to me about him, they ask me what the hell the Dolphins see in the guy. I tell them that he must have pictures of Dave Wannstedt in a compromised position.

I hear people talking about Miami saying that they have a franchise RB now, a good group of receivers, a potentially good offensive line, and a great defense, but they have nothing at the quarterback position.

Ok, so your on the record saying that Brady will only improve, and this is the year that Jay will falter.

Now let's sit back and see what happens.

KB is doing it again...

Originally posted by dolfan87
I think we should all be done.

Next subject please....

... he is attempting to make himself the focal point, at some point you all will understand all KB wants to do is knock whoever he can so he will look smart.

Honestly ppl wake up!

Oliver...

KB, I don’t think you are underestimating Fiedler’s ability. You’re right… the guy IS limited and DOES throw too many picks. I think, however, you are underestimating Jay Fiedler as a football player. Keep in mind that last off-season, you (among other “realists†spouted off that Fiedler was INCAPABLE (keep that word in mind) of: starting 16 games, having a good YPC avg, throwing for 3000+ yds, throwing for 20+ TDs, having a QB rating in the 80’s, and taking the team on his back to victory. Check, check, check, check, check, and check. Remember how you and the rest of the Fiedler bashers were praising the Ravens, Bucs, and Chiefs for anteing up for Grbac, Johnson, and Green? I do, and I remember checking the QB ratings for these 3 at the end of the year. Lo and behold… Fiedler’s was higher than all of them and Jay led his team to more victories.
In ’00, the debate was whether or not Jay would get by as a starting QB.
In ’01, it was if Fiedler was a capable starting QB.
Now, it’s whether or not Fiedler is a Super Bowl QB.
Isn’t it amazing how the bar is being raised every year? Shouldn’t that tell you something about his improvement?

Lets face it. Norv Turner is here for a year (maybe two) on a campaign to get another NFL head coaching job. Norv Turner is not a “yes sir man†like a Kippy Brown. Why would Norv drag his reputation through the mud by coordinating a team with a QB that, allegedly, is far below average? Doesn’t make much sense to me. Turner is on record as saying he is a fan of Jay Fiedler. Turner said it a year ago in pre-season and it was published in TSN shortly after his arrival.

Any for anyone else that wants to throw names of other QBs out there, just remember that those players have flaws as well.
Want Trent Dilfer? You have to surround him with a great OL and RB and put him in a caretaker’s role.
Want Jim Miller? Ditto.
Want Jeff Blake? Keep in mind that the reason he is a backup is because he can’t stay healthy and doesn’t have the respect of his teammates.
Want Jeff George? Then stick by his belief that team continuity is overrated.
Want Troy Aikman? Well, why not just sign Marino to back him up?

In 2000, the Dolphins went into the fourth quarter only one time with no chance to win… the 27-0 blowout loss to the Raiders. Other than that, we were within reach of victory. Why? ‘cause the running game was effective and took time off the clock.

Last year, that didn’t happen. We were losing 21-0 to the 49ers, 20-3 to the Patriots, 28-10 to the Rams, 17-3 to the Ravens. Why? ‘cause we couldn’t run or stop the run. Our RBs were outrushed 160-45 in the ‘Niners game, 197-40 in the Pats game, 206-20 in the Ravens game. Translation: In our 3 biggest games of the season, we couldn’t run or stop the run, and we had to rely solely on Fiedler’s arm to put together sustained drives to compensate for their rushing attack; it didn’t happen, and that is the fault of the rushing offense and defense. Grbac and Garcia threw for a mere 133 yds, Brady for only 108. Fiedler had to drop back over 100 times in those 3 games, compared to Brady’s 19, Grbac’s 18, and Garcia’s 18. Reason? Controlling the clock.

Even the Fiedler bashers have to agree that he is excellent in the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line. My philosophy for this upcoming season is that if Ricky plays as well or better than Lamar in ’00, we’ll head into the 4th quarter with a great chance to win… with a QB that has proven he can take the team on his back to victory in the 4th quarter. It doesn’t matter who your QB is if you are getting outrushed by 150 yards every game.

What is that?

Originally posted by NYFCat
KB, I don’t think you are underestimating Fiedler’s ability. You’re right… the guy IS limited and DOES throw too many picks. I think, however, you are underestimating Jay Fiedler as a football player. Keep in mind that last off-season, you (among other “realists†spouted off that Fiedler was INCAPABLE (keep that word in mind) of: starting 16 games, having a good YPC avg, throwing for 3000+ yds, throwing for 20+ TDs, having a QB rating in the 80’s, and taking the team on his back to victory. Check, check, check, check, check, and check. Remember how you and the rest of the Fiedler bashers were praising the Ravens, Bucs, and Chiefs for anteing up for Grbac, Johnson, and Green? I do, and I remember checking the QB ratings for these 3 at the end of the year. Lo and behold… Fiedler’s was higher than all of them and Jay led his team to more victories.
In ’00, the debate was whether or not Jay would get by as a starting QB.
In ’01, it was if Fiedler was a capable starting QB.
Now, it’s whether or not Fiedler is a Super Bowl QB.
Isn’t it amazing how the bar is being raised every year? Shouldn’t that tell you something about his improvement?

Lets face it. Norv Turner is here for a year (maybe two) on a campaign to get another NFL head coaching job. Norv Turner is not a “yes sir man†like a Kippy Brown. Why would Norv drag his reputation through the mud by coordinating a team with a QB that, allegedly, is far below average? Doesn’t make much sense to me. Turner is on record as saying he is a fan of Jay Fiedler. Turner said it a year ago in pre-season and it was published in TSN shortly after his arrival.

Any for anyone else that wants to throw names of other QBs out there, just remember that those players have flaws as well.
Want Trent Dilfer? You have to surround him with a great OL and RB and put him in a caretaker’s role.
Want Jim Miller? Ditto.
Want Jeff Blake? Keep in mind that the reason he is a backup is because he can’t stay healthy and doesn’t have the respect of his teammates.
Want Jeff George? Then stick by his belief that team continuity is overrated.
Want Troy Aikman? Well, why not just sign Marino to back him up?

In 2000, the Dolphins went into the fourth quarter only one time with no chance to win… the 27-0 blowout loss to the Raiders. Other than that, we were within reach of victory. Why? ‘cause the running game was effective and took time off the clock.

Last year, that didn’t happen. We were losing 21-0 to the 49ers, 20-3 to the Patriots, 28-10 to the Rams, 17-3 to the Ravens. Why? ‘cause we couldn’t run or stop the run. Our RBs were outrushed 160-45 in the ‘Niners game, 197-40 in the Pats game, 206-20 in the Ravens game. Translation: In our 3 biggest games of the season, we couldn’t run or stop the run, and we had to rely solely on Fiedler’s arm to put together sustained drives to compensate for their rushing attack; it didn’t happen, and that is the fault of the rushing offense and defense. Grbac and Garcia threw for a mere 133 yds, Brady for only 108. Fiedler had to drop back over 100 times in those 3 games, compared to Brady’s 19, Grbac’s 18, and Garcia’s 18. Reason? Controlling the clock.

Even the Fiedler bashers have to agree that he is excellent in the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line. My philosophy for this upcoming season is that if Ricky plays as well or better than Lamar in ’00, we’ll head into the 4th quarter with a great chance to win… with a QB that has proven he can take the team on his back to victory in the 4th quarter. It doesn’t matter who your QB is if you are getting outrushed by 150 yards every game.

... the 1000th time KB has been told that? I can recall at least 3 times you've given him those very facts. IT WON'T MATTER.

Oliver...

Amen NFY Cat.People keep bashing Fiedler and he keeps improving and he could make the pro bowl this year if he stays healthy.I don't feel like writting post that explain why I believe Fiedler will get better and I compared his stats to those of Bledsoe last 3 years.Bledsoe was only injured last season unlike some Bills fan say he was injured last two season.You will be surprise when you compare stats.Right now Brady is not even at the same level as Fiedler.I could make a good argument on that but Brady is younger and has quite a while to go.I agree Brady will improve but he won't be more than above average QB at best.

Some of you guys are still stuck in the past. Guys, it's been two years, time to realize that we probably won't have another Dan Marino for a long time. Is that what you guys are bashing Jay about? Be happy he IS IMPROVING. I used to be the same way, bashing Fiedler every time he made a mistake, but I learned from some of the guys here like 39 that he won't be Marino but he is getting better, this guy is not mediocre and he IS our QB so, don't you think it's time to actually start cheering him?

Back
Top Bottom