Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97

I like Tankersly, and he was always a guy who I thought fit our scheme to a T. This kid is a significantly better version of Tony Lippett. I still have hope for Lippett, and am happy to see his very significant improvement from when he joined us. But, Tankersly has all of those same positives with great footspeed, and that is Lippett's main negative. So, I think Tankersly will be groomed this year and eventually replace Maxwell. When he does, we will be getting a good press CB. it may not happen today, but he will still contribute.

On a side note, the NFL has generally done away with the fullback position. That means most teams run 11 personnel most of the time with a few exceptions who have the guys to also run a good deal of 12 personnel. We are one of those 11 personnel teams. So, defenses are very often playing in the nickel. Increasingly, teams are going 4 wide even when not when playing 'catch up.' That generally suggests dime defenses. Given that we have 2 boundary CB positions and 4 guys to play there (Maxwell, X. Howard, Tankersly and Lippett), and we use 1 SS (Jones, McDonald, Allen), that leaves 3 nickel/FS positions to fill. Looking at our roster, we absolutely do not have any FS. We really only have 2 nickel guys (McCain and Thomas) and everyone realizes we need to upgrade them.

So, with the rest of this draft and the preseason, expect us to add at least 1 FS and probably 2 nickel CB's. Here are some of my suggestions:

Nickel:
William Likely ... ultra quick and can cover the Edelman types.

Free Safety:
Kai Nacua ... ballhawking safety with athleticism and size, lots of upside with him if you can get his attitude right.

I'm hoping Miami gets Nacua as well. Still some nice talent rolling into round five. Any offensive lineman who could start year one?

hes a graber and holder much like Maxwell. Funny.

But Maxwell is doing it at 29 and Tankersley is just coming into the league.

Maxwell had 8 penalties last year. 1 was for taunting, one for a face mask.....so bottom line is he had 6 penalties for holding or PI. I'd call that an acceptable level for someone usually asked to defend the opponent's top target.

You are right about the Maxwell comparison, though. Lindy Sports gave him an NFL comp of Maxwell coming into the draft.

I guess I don't get all of the Lippett love. I like Lippett, love that he has made a successful transition to corner. Still think that his position as a starting corner isn't untouchable.....don't see him as really being a #1 guy.

I suppose you first have to understand what mock drafts are and what their purpose is. The experts and news sites you're referring to are only involved in this process for a few months during draft time. Very, very few of the experts and sites putting these mock drafts out are evaluating these players. Most of em are only experts at repeating whatever they hear regarding these prospects. Their job is to put out mock drafts with the purpose of simply trying to project which players will go where....based off what they hear from their sources. They're not in the business of actually evaluating college prospects.

Most of these kids they've never even heard of or seen in their life until 2 months before the draft. The same kids I've been watching and seen since they were in high school. I do this year round. It takes that long to get that familiar with hundreds of prospects. And I've been doing it for a long time. I've coached against some of these kids when they were in high school. Watched unlimited hours of Hudl game tape on them since they were 16 years old. I've watched many of them grow up and become young men literally through game film all the way from high school to the day they get drafted in the NFL. I've met their parents. It's countless things that add up.

In other words, my prospect evaluations are out there for anybody to see that wants to....long before any mock drafts come out from the experts, talking heads or news sites. In most cases a year ahead of time. They have no idea who most of these kids even are. Never seen them or heard of em until 2 months before the draft. Anytime you wish to stack up how these players turn out in terms of how I viewed them vs. the experts or news sites, you're more than welcome to do so. In fact, I encourage it.

I've always staked my reputation here on my player evaluations for people that value that sort of information. And they know it's all mine and mine alone. It's not based off experts mock drafts and/or news sites. It's based on a process that begins when they're in high school, and continues on through unimaginable amounts of watching college football, bowl games, All-Star Games, Senior Bowls, NFL combine, Pro Days, and culminates in a final ranking. There's just not many people that do that.

Believe me when I say there's not an NFL GM or executive, expert or talking head that sees more college football on a whole than I do. You can't. It's not possible.

As for Tre'Davious White and Jamal Adams, the bottom line is that White is a better cornerback than Adams is a safety in my estimation. Now, I understand that goes against the Holy Grail of mock drafts, but I believe it's a legitimate assertion by me nonetheless. Charles Harris isn't even in the neighborhood.

Let me ask you this, go find me an expert, talking head or news site that had Kevin Byard as their top Senior safety in last year's draft. I'll give you a cookie if you can find one. Then tell me who all the experts and news sites had ahead of him in their mock drafts.

Tell me how many offensive lineman the experts and news sites had mock drafted ahead of Zach Fulton in 2013. Conversely, tell me how many even knew who he was.

Or tell me how many experts and news sites had Quinton Coples mock drafted ahead of Malik Jackson in 2012. Apparently the NFL subscribed to those mock drafts as well. Or was it vice versa?

This could go on and on. I don't mind comparing the picks the Dolphins have made the past 10 years vs the ones I felt they should've made beforehand. I'm just saying I get lucky sometimes too. I'm not in the business of mock drafts. That's amatuer hour. I want to know if a kid can play or not, and to what level. There's only one way to determine that to the best of your ability. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. You ask a legitimate question.

When Slimm talks you ****ers better listen.

This man is a got damn genius. Other than liking Alabama :chuckle:

The problem that I see that tends to creep into Miami's drafting year after year is that they draft profiles instead of players. They'll tend to value a "profile" that fits into their supposed system as opposed to simply evaluating an individual player and come away saying, "Damn that kid can play. We need that.".

It always tends to vary back and forth every other pick. You're essentially evaluating profiles instead of players on the field. It's a very "executive" approach to an art form, which a lot of times result in disaster.

It's the only thing that makes any sense when you try to figure out how Miami drafts some of the players they do while passing up others.

The only period where I didn't notice this type of pattern was when Hickey was picking the players.

Couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom