Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97

Excuse my ignorance. Is Tankersley capable of going to the nickel CB role or is he competing as a future starter?

Excuse my ignorance. Is Tankersley capable of going to the nickel CB role or is he competing as a future starter?

Future boundary starter. Possibly replacing Maxwell in 2018.

I still believe we add a nickel corner tomorrow.

Does New England spend as many draft picks on special teams players? I don't think so. They get them as undrafted free agents.

Might want to check out Matthew Slater as an example of how NE does in fact draft players beyond kickers and punters to use specifically on special teams. In fact, they traded up for him. They greatly value the "hidden yardage" of the NFL's almost forgotten 3rd unit.

And just because Tankersley will play special teams doesn't mean he was drafted for special teams. He was drafted to play CB.

MaxWell is put on notice to have a good year he is auditioning for his next team this coming year no way he is kept with that cap hit.

McCain is put on notice to step his game up in the slot. He was awful at some points last year.

Just saw some tape on youtube- refs might need to double up on flags when he is on the field. He's got his hand on the WR on almost every play I saw and those are HIGHLIGHTS.

I like this pick and the McMillan pick better than the Harris pick.

Harris pick a wasted first round pick. It will take him as long as Odrick to become even an average player in the NFL. Second and Third are fine, imo. Upgrades to a D that is dying for NFL talent across the board.

LD

Okay Nostradamus. :up:

I like the player and fit for a team like Miami, especially at this selection. I had a late 2nd round grade on Cordrea Tankersley. He fits the mold of what Miami is looking for in their corners and what they want to do. Lengthy, fast, athletic corners who need to press and disrupt the release. He needs to clean up some technique. But you have to let him get up in a receiver's grill and press....make him get his hands on the guy early because he doesn't backpedal all that well. He's not comfortable doing it. You don't want him playing off.

Where I have a disconnect with the people making the decisions....if you already knew you were going to draft a CB early, why you didn't take Tre'Davious White instead of Charles Harris in the 1st round. If you had a higher grade on Harris than you did White, that's where I can't understand what the heck you're looking at. He starts for you immediately, not to mention he upgrades your special teams as one of the elite punt returners in the draft.

100% agree with this post. Not getting into the Harris part, but with better technique this guy is a good fit for us. Needs to stay with and keep his hands on the receiver for the full 5yds as he can lose his man at the break. But that's coaching.

Nobody could accuse the FO of getting too cute with the draft so far anyway.

Don Shula once bench a solid veteran center for some young rookie, everyone thought he was crazy, that rookie center would go on to have an amazing career . You can now see him Canton Ohio at the NFL Hall of Fame. For me personally , I once shook my head at the thought of releasing veteran ILB Jack Del Rio for some little 5th round rookie linebacker out of Texas Tech, well Zach Thomas proved me wrong!..I've learn to be patient and trust the coaches GMs and scouts because they know a lot more about the player then me. Give these 3 draft choices a chance everyone.

Optimum Scouting's assessment on Tankersly....

"Before immediately jumping from high school to college, Cordrea Tankersley attended prep school in Virginia before enrolling to Clemson in 2013. Tankersley had to wait his turn as he saw limited action in his first two seasons with the Tigers contributing just 24 tackles during that span. His role increased the following year capturing All-ACC Third Team honors after racking up 16 passes defended including five interceptions (plenty more than Mackensie Alexander had that season). Viewed as one of the best players on a talented roster heading into the 2016 season, Tankersley answered the call receiving multiple All-America honors. He was a first team selection for Pro Football Focus and USA Today. He also garnered praise from the Jim Thorpe and Chuck Bednarik award committees after his 65 tackle and four interception senior season. Tankersley may be listed as a one trick point being solely a press cover corner, but he excels and may be the most physical cornerback in the class. There’s no denying Tankersley looks the part with a chiseled frame (with room to grow) that gives no reason to question what his preferred style of play is. He models a nice blend of length and height to be the desired prototype corner at the next level. His length comes into play when showing off his impressive ball skills disrupting at the catch point and frequently coming down with the ball in his mitts. Tankersley is conjoined at the hip with receivers if he can initiate first contact at the line of scrimmage. Even if he loses containment on a quick move (stiff-hipped), he shows to have average recovery speed to at least be in the area and pressure the receiver. He did get in a habit of committing pass interference resulting from losing his matchup. His overall instincts come into question when not being able to consistently time up passes and showing a string of panicky moments when separation starts to begin. He shows plenty of willingness as a tackler in the open field and in the run game. He doesn’t mind getttting dirty. His production and experience in just two years as a starter is impressive and along with his size and plus-ball skills, he will suit well as a press cornerback at the next level."

This seems to contrast what the "talking heads" say about him. I can't help but think that most years he is a top 5 CB and would merit consideration at the end of the first round. This is a special year for DBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Future boundary starter. Possibly replacing Maxwell in 2018.

I still believe we add a nickel corner tomorrow.

I think you are spot on. Looks like a Maxwell clone. A year to learn then he takes over.

I like the player and fit for a team like Miami, especially at this selection. I had a late 2nd round grade on Cordrea Tankersley. He fits the mold of what Miami is looking for in their corners and what they want to do. Lengthy, fast, athletic corners who need to press and disrupt the release. He needs to clean up some technique. But you have to let him get up in a receiver's grill and press....make him get his hands on the guy early because he doesn't backpedal all that well. He's not comfortable doing it. You don't want him playing off.

Where I have a disconnect with the people making the decisions....if you already knew you were going to draft a CB early, why you didn't take Tre'Davious White instead of Charles Harris in the 1st round. If you had a higher grade on Harris than you did White, that's where I can't understand what the heck you're looking at. He starts for you immediately, not to mention he upgrades your special teams as one of the elite punt returners in the draft.
Couldn't agree more.

I think you are spot on. Looks like a Maxwell clone. A year to learn then he takes over.
Just a reminder, Gase is on record building the team for '18. If Tankersley and Harris take a year to learn, that's '18. Yes, I would have liked IMMEDIATE starters, and they may be, but, . . . just a reminder.

So much negativity...It's the end of the 3rd round, and people critique the pick likes it's a first round pick. We got a fast, 4.4 40, big cb who has great ball skills, and is a perfect fit for the system we run. Probably a 2nd year starter, but can probably contribute this year in nickel and dime packages. it was also said he excelled covering the VT tight end last year, so that may be another way to get on the field in year 1.

I think it's important to look at the financial outcome from this pick. If he develops into a capable starter alongside Howard or Lippett, then we can save $10 million one year from now by cutting Maxwell. The draft isn't just about drafting for needs, but also giving yourself financial flexibility and maintaining a balanced roster without having to spend every last dime you own (see Pitt, NE, Baltimore, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom