Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97

So much negativity...It's the end of the 3rd round, and people critique the pick likes it's a first round pick. We got a fast, 4.4 40, big cb who has great ball skills, and is a perfect fit for the system we run. Probably a 2nd year starter, but can probably contribute this year in nickel and dime packages. it was also said he excelled covering the VT tight end last year, so that may be another way to get on the field in year 1.

We're all just speculating, but at least I can understand the negativity from those here who have actually looked at film on these players and know what they're looking for. It's the fans who watch no college football and only watch highlight videos, acting as if they have all the answers who tickle me. It's not possible to be as informed if you don't break down film.

We're all just speculating, but at least I can understand the negativity from those here who have actually looked at film on these players and know what they're looking for. It's the fans who watch no college football and only watch highlight videos, acting as if they have all the answers who tickle me. It's not possible to be as informed if you don't break down film.

Almost the exact negativity was said about Richard Sherman:

WEAKNESSES Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/richard-sherman?id=2495507

Byron Maxwell:

WEAKNESSES Lacks the hip fluidity to maintain his speed in transition and will not be able to stick in man coverage. Does not have the instincts to anticipate routes and overcome his lack of agility in man. Takes poor angles at times in run support and struggles to break down ball carriers in the open field.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/byron-maxwell?id=2495310

Xavien Howard:
WEAKNESSES Quicker than fast with questionable long speed. Handsy and panics when he thinks he might get beat. Mauls like a bear downfield rather than trusting his technique. Has 14 pass interference and 5 holding penalties against him over last two seasons. Speed tends to diminish when turning to find the ball. Will lose feel for receivers at break point. Allowed seven touchdowns in 2014. Not a "get downhill and attack" run defender and stays glued to blocked.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/xavien-howard?id=2555539

All three takes are quite similar to what is being said about Tankersly, and all 3 have the same size and speed as Tankersly, and all are press guys just like Tankersly.

OK, I'm going to risk being flamed. I have a LOT of respect for those here who have the time and talent to evaluate players. I have neither. That said, I also have a lot of respect for Gase/Grier and others and, overall, for those evaluating players for all NFL teams. And I understand everyone (me included (and I didn't say "myself")), probably wanted someone else in at least one of the three rounds. I'm going with Gase et al. They have the psych evaluations, the interviews, the injury data (e.g., Foster). Were they right? I doubt they're right on all 3, but evaluations are all over the map, so knowing which one is right is impossible. For now, it's over. Three guys are Dolphins. My hope now is three HOFrs.

Watching game tape I don't see this non tackling ability.... He missed a few tackles but he's a corner, most of them miss tackles.... Hell Zach Cunningham missed more tackles.... If he won't tackle explain his sacks, his TFL'S, and his special teams tackles.... I think alot of people are regurgitating bull**** from the uninformed talking heads and not putting g their eyes where their fingers and mouths are!

Tankersley is a great value pick at 97, he needs to develop but I think he becomes a quality starter for us, I certainly feel he's our most athletically gifted corner on the team at this moment, with the most upside, then Howard.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OK, I'm going to risk being flamed. I have a LOT of respect for those here who have the time and talent to evaluate players. I have neither. That said, I also have a lot of respect for Gase/Grier and others and, overall, for those evaluating players for all NFL teams. And I understand everyone (me included (and I didn't say "myself")), probably wanted someone else in at least one of the three rounds. I'm going with Gase et al. They have the psych evaluations, the interviews, the injury data (e.g., Foster). Were they right? I doubt they're right on all 3, but evaluations are all over the map, so knowing which one is right is impossible. For now, it's over. Three guys are Dolphins. My hope now is three HOFrs.

I love this post! As fans we rely on idiots like Kiper and McShay, and disregard what our teams scouts, coaches, and front office do. The only advice I would take from Kiper is how to look like a Vampire. Our staff did a great job in one year turning this franchise around, and have earned my faith.

I love this post! As fans we rely on idiots like Kiper and McShay, and disregard what our teams scouts, coaches, and front office do. The only advice I would take from Kiper is how to look like a Vampire. Our staff did a great job in one year turning this franchise around, and have earned my faith.

:lol: @ how to look like a vampire. Well played.

How can a football fan not watch college football? Jeez, I live for Saturdays in the fall.

Tank is an aggressive man press guy. He is the new prototypical corner in the nfl. He will make our defense better and just put maxwell on high alert..

We need another DB because we'll be leading most games and teams will be forced to throw more :d-day:

I like the player and fit for a team like Miami, especially at this selection. I had a late 2nd round grade on Cordrea Tankersley. He fits the mold of what Miami is looking for in their corners and what they want to do. Lengthy, fast, athletic corners who need to press and disrupt the release. He needs to clean up some technique. But you have to let him get up in a receiver's grill and press....make him get his hands on the guy early because he doesn't backpedal all that well. He's not comfortable doing it. You don't want him playing off.

Where I have a disconnect with the people making the decisions....if you already knew you were going to draft a CB early, why you didn't take Tre'Davious White instead of Charles Harris in the 1st round. If you had a higher grade on Harris than you did White, that's where I can't understand what the heck you're looking at. He starts for you immediately, not to mention he upgrades your special teams as one of the elite punt returners in the draft.

Here is what I don't get. I read countless mock drafts for months leading up to the draft and I'll give you a cookie if you can find one that has Tre'Davious White getting drafted before Charles Harris. If all of the experts and news sites have Charles Harris graded higher than White, why wouldn't we also? White hasn't done anything yet in the NFL and he had Jamal Adams in the secondary with him. I like Tre'Davious White as a prospect, but c'mon. Charles Harris is a better prospect at a more important position.

I actually really like our entire draft so far, can't remember the last time I said that going into day 3.

How can a football fan not watch college football? Jeez, I live for Saturdays in the fall.

Same here. I get together every saturday with a few other like minded buddies and we watch all day long. We even play in a college fantasy league to make it more interesting.

Here is what I don't get. I read countless mock drafts for months leading up to the draft and I'll give you a cookie if you can find one that has Tre'Davious White getting drafted before Charles Harris. If all of the experts and news sites have Charles Harris graded higher than White, why wouldn't we also? White hasn't done anything yet in the NFL and he had Jamal Adams in the secondary with him. I like Tre'Davious White as a prospect, but c'mon. Charles Harris is a better prospect at a more important position.

I actually really like our entire draft so far, can't remember the last time I said that going into day 3.

I suppose you first have to understand what mock drafts are and what their purpose is. The experts and news sites you're referring to are only involved in this process for a few months during draft time. Very, very few of the experts and sites putting these mock drafts out are evaluating these players. Most of em are only experts at repeating whatever they hear regarding these prospects. Their job is to put out mock drafts with the purpose of simply trying to project which players will go where....based off what they hear from their sources. They're not in the business of actually evaluating college prospects.

Most of these kids they've never even heard of or seen in their life until 2 months before the draft. The same kids I've been watching and seen since they were in high school. I do this year round. It takes that long to get that familiar with hundreds of prospects. And I've been doing it for a long time. I've coached against some of these kids when they were in high school. Watched unlimited hours of Hudl game tape on them since they were 16 years old. I've watched many of them grow up and become young men literally through game film all the way from high school to the day they get drafted in the NFL. I've met their parents. It's countless things that add up.

In other words, my prospect evaluations are out there for anybody to see that wants to....long before any mock drafts come out from the experts, talking heads or news sites. In most cases a year ahead of time. They have no idea who most of these kids even are. Never seen them or heard of em until 2 months before the draft. Anytime you wish to stack up how these players turn out in terms of how I viewed them vs. the experts or news sites, you're more than welcome to do so. In fact, I encourage it.

I've always staked my reputation here on my player evaluations for people that value that sort of information. And they know it's all mine and mine alone. It's not based off experts mock drafts and/or news sites. It's based on a process that begins when they're in high school, and continues on through unimaginable amounts of watching college football, bowl games, All-Star Games, Senior Bowls, NFL combine, Pro Days, and culminates in a final ranking. There's just not many people that do that.

Believe me when I say there's not an NFL GM or executive, expert or talking head that sees more college football on a whole than I do. You can't. It's not possible.

As for Tre'Davious White and Jamal Adams, the bottom line is that White is a better cornerback than Adams is a safety in my estimation. Now, I understand that goes against the Holy Grail of mock drafts, but I believe it's a legitimate assertion by me nonetheless. Charles Harris isn't even in the neighborhood.

Let me ask you this, go find me an expert, talking head or news site that had Kevin Byard as their top Senior safety in last year's draft. I'll give you a cookie if you can find one. Then tell me who all the experts and news sites had ahead of him in their mock drafts.

Tell me how many offensive lineman the experts and news sites had mock drafted ahead of Zach Fulton in 2013. Conversely, tell me how many even knew who he was.

Or tell me how many experts and news sites had Quinton Coples mock drafted ahead of Malik Jackson in 2012. Apparently the NFL subscribed to those mock drafts as well. Or was it vice versa?

This could go on and on. I don't mind comparing the picks the Dolphins have made the past 10 years vs the ones I felt they should've made beforehand. I'm just saying I get lucky sometimes too. I'm not in the business of mock drafts. That's amatuer hour. I want to know if a kid can play or not, and to what level. There's only one way to determine that to the best of your ability. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. You ask a legitimate question.

I like Tankersly, and he was always a guy who I thought fit our scheme to a T. This kid is a significantly better version of Tony Lippett. I still have hope for Lippett, and am happy to see his very significant improvement from when he joined us. But, Tankersly has all of those same positives with great footspeed, and that is Lippett's main negative. So, I think Tankersly will be groomed this year and eventually replace Maxwell. When he does, we will be getting a good press CB. it may not happen today, but he will still contribute.

On a side note, the NFL has generally done away with the fullback position. That means most teams run 11 personnel most of the time with a few exceptions who have the guys to also run a good deal of 12 personnel. We are one of those 11 personnel teams. So, defenses are very often playing in the nickel. Increasingly, teams are going 4 wide even when not when playing 'catch up.' That generally suggests dime defenses. Given that we have 2 boundary CB positions and 4 guys to play there (Maxwell, X. Howard, Tankersly and Lippett), and we use 1 SS (Jones, McDonald, Allen), that leaves 3 nickel/FS positions to fill. Looking at our roster, we absolutely do not have any FS. We really only have 2 nickel guys (McCain and Thomas) and everyone realizes we need to upgrade them.

So, with the rest of this draft and the preseason, expect us to add at least 1 FS and probably 2 nickel CB's. Here are some of my suggestions:

Nickel:
William Likely ... ultra quick and can cover the Edelman types.

Free Safety:
Kai Nacua ... ballhawking safety with athleticism and size, lots of upside with him if you can get his attitude right.

Back
Top Bottom