Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97

It's the Nickel, 4-2-5.

I put the full project on hold due to the draft but from what I have charted about our defense so far from last year we spent 68% of our time in the Nickel.

Maxwell is not a sure thing and is getting older and missed 3 games,
Byron's 29. Missed 3 games with a late season ankle injury. Groom the new kid all you want.

Here's my question: Who's our nickel corner? Because if it's Bobby McCain or Michael Thomas, we have a problem.

Yep. NFL's offenses as a whole were in 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) 60% of the time which will almost always dictate a 4-2-5 with the small exception of some 3-4 teams with very athletic LBs.

The Nickel is essentially the NFL's new "base" defense.

I'll finish up the defensive project soon (soon = month or so. Weather is perfect here in Florida so I can't be couped up. :chuckle:) and post all the details in VIP.

Sounds good. Yeah and coaches are still going to say "our base is 4-3," but the reality of the nickel is too prevalent. Which, this all stemmed out of the Peppers discussion. With that in mind, I'm glad we picked up another secondary player in the 3rd. As Gase mentioned, you can never have enough of those. Especially when you're running 5 most of the time!

Here's my question: Who's our nickel corner? Because if it's Bobby McCain or Michael Thomas, we have a problem.

I feel like we're going to be drafting a slot CB with one of the next 3 picks. Just a gut feeling. I don't know if that guy is going to beat out McCain or Thomas, but it's hard seeing somebody not beat them. I personally would love Corn Elder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats what I dont get, why are we getting a 4th boundary corner that will be the 2nd off the bench when we dont have a quality interior corner. If anything we should have gotten someone that has the tools to do both. Depth is great and all but when already have one solid backup lets fill the positions that dont have a quality starter first unless it is one of those BPA type picks. And its not like we have a bunch of aging corners and are preparing for the future, yea Maxwell is up there and this is prolly his last year here but Lippett and Howard are 23 and 24 and have shown great potential. Even if we run the 4-2-5 Tankersly isnt helping any unless he can replace Mccain or Thomas.

Thats what I dont get, why are we getting a 4th boundary corner that will be the 2nd off the bench when we dont have a quality interior corner. If anything we should have gotten someone that has the tools to do both. Depth is great and all but when already have one solid backup lets fill the positions that dont have a quality starter first unless it is one of those BPA type picks. And its not like we have a bunch of aging corners and are preparing for the future, yea Maxwell is up there and this is prolly his last year here but Lippett and Howard are 23 and 24 and have shown great potential. Even if we run the 4-2-5 Tankersly isnt helping any unless he can replace Mccain or Thomas.

I'm not sure how well Tankersley could play in Miami's nickel position. His strength is press/man. So playing off in the nickel a lot does not look like an immediate spot for him. This question might ultimately boil down to Need vs. Talent. Many see our nickel spot as the biggest need in our defense now, but perhaps Tankersley was rated pretty high on their board, and the chance to add another solid press corner was worth pulling the trigger. If that is the case, it would be safe to expect another secondary pick before the draft is complete.

I'd be more concerned if we had a bunch of inside slot CBs that couldn't be put on the perimeter. I don't think determining a slot guy out of our perimeter CBs will be that much of an issue. Lippet has some great length and would be my first guess to fill it should McCain be downgraded.

I'd be more concerned if we had a bunch of inside slot CBs that couldn't be put on the perimeter. I don't think determining a slot guy out of our perimeter CBs will be that much of an issue.

My thoughts as well.

I'd be more concerned if we had a bunch of inside slot CBs that couldn't be put on the perimeter. I don't think determining a slot guy out of our perimeter CBs will be that much of an issue. Lippet has some great length and would be my first guess to fill it should McCain be downgraded.
Lippett maybe. Damn sure know Byron's not effective inside. Howard....let's see some actual extended game time from him.

It's Bobby McCain or Michael Thomas. Tankersley is a boundary corner, don't see him playing the slot. At this point he's a special teams player that the Dolphins HOPE they can develop into a starter.

You read comments like this from Grier:

“He’s a guy that’s still learning the corner position,” Grier said. “He’s got a lot of traits we like. He’s long. He’s got length. He’s got speed. He has ball skills. Again, he’s got a lot of stuff that we like. We think that there’s a tremendous upside there. Again, we really like the kid.

“He’ll be a contributor on special teams as well, so for the depth, (to) come in and compete for the roster spot. This is a player we’re very high on so we’re excited to add him.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article147563704.html#storylink=cpy

You have to think, were the Dolphins really going BPA or just grabbing defense wherever they could. Dolphins have to be the only team that drafts special teams players with so much regularity in the league. I know the Dolphins said they had some other guys on the board but decided to go with Tankersley...and that probably means they had some other guys all rated at the same level...would love to know who they were.

I know the Dolphins said they had some other guys on the board but decided to go with Tankersley...and that probably means they had some other guys all rated at the same level...would love to know who they were.

I would love to be in the War Room Period.

Input would be a bonus.

You have to think, were the Dolphins really going BPA or just grabbing defense wherever they could. Dolphins have to be the only team that drafts special teams players with so much regularity in the league. I know the Dolphins said they had some other guys on the board but decided to go with Tankersley...and that probably means they had some other guys all rated at the same level...would love to know who they were.

New England puts a huge emphasis on special teams and plays quality starters on the ST unit all the time on a regular basis.

It's Bobby McCain or Michael Thomas. Tankersley is a boundary corner, don't see him playing the slot. At this point he's a special teams player that the Dolphins HOPE they can develop into a starter.

You read comments like this from Grier:

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article147563704.html#storylink=cpy

The problem that I see that tends to creep into Miami's drafting year after year is that they draft profiles instead of players. They'll tend to value a "profile" that fits into their supposed system as opposed to simply evaluating an individual player and come away saying, "Damn that kid can play. We need that.".

It always tends to vary back and forth every other pick. You're essentially evaluating profiles instead of players on the field. It's a very "executive" approach to an art form, which a lot of times result in disaster.

It's the only thing that makes any sense when you try to figure out how Miami drafts some of the players they do while passing up others.

The only period where I didn't notice this type of pattern was when Hickey was picking the players.

The problem that I see that tends to creep into Miami's drafting year after year is that they draft profiles instead of players. They'll tend to value a "profile" that fits into their supposed system as opposed to simply evaluating an individual player and come away saying, "Damn that kid can play. We need that.".

It always tends to vary back and forth every other pick. You're essentially evaluating profiles instead of players on the field. It's a very "executive" approach to an art form, which a lot of times result in disaster.

It's the only thing that makes any sense when you try to figure out how Miami drafts some of the players they do while passing up others.

Seattle is an organization that drafts almost strictly by their defensive prototype profiles. Though, they have a more specific defense and an ideal way of how they want it to run as opposed to our scheme which is a little more open ended with "generic" fits if you will. Which, I guess, coming full circle still adheres and applies to your, "Damn that kid can play. We need that", approach.

New England puts a huge emphasis on special teams and plays quality starters on the ST unit all the time on a regular basis.

Does New England spend as many draft picks on special teams players? I don't think so. They get them as undrafted free agents.

Back
Top Bottom