Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97

Who knows if this guy will be any good. Hope for the best.
If he makes the team, he is playing special teams.

I like the player and fit for a team like Miami, especially at this selection. I had a late 2nd round grade on Cordrea Tankersley. He fits the mold of what Miami is looking for in their corners and what they want to do. Lengthy, fast, athletic corners who need to press and disrupt the release. He needs to clean up some technique. But you have to let him get up in a receiver's grill and press....make him get his hands on the guy early because he doesn't backpedal all that well. He's not comfortable doing it. You don't want him playing off.

Where I have a disconnect with the people making the decisions....if you already knew you were going to draft a CB early, why you didn't take Tre'Davious White instead of Charles Harris in the 1st round. If you had a higher grade on Harris than you did White, that's where I can't understand what the heck you're looking at. He starts for you immediately, not to mention he upgrades your special teams as one of the elite punt returners in the draft.

I guess that's where i'm at because if CB was in their mind, we passed on quite a few really good ones.

We played a lot of off coverage last year, which is my concern with Tankersly. He struggles when he can't put his hands on guys.....and even then, he's handsy in/out of breaks. He was 17/20 in the 3-cone and 16/19 in the shuttle at the combine. I don't use combine numbers as the clear cut indicator of success (just look at my Jordan Willis eval) but in terms of Tank, i do see those re-direct struggles on tape at the top of routes, which directly links to his grabbing. So that is where my concern is with him as a player. With the turnover in coaches/staffs these days leading to philosophical changes, and the cat and mouse games good coaches play in-game with matchups, i prefer guys who are more diverse.

Sorry but there's a reason Tankersley is called the worst tackler as a CB in the entire draft. Watch a lot of video on him. It doesn't lie. Tankersley is as bad or worse than Sean Smith was as a tackler. Absolutely pathetic horse **** effort when it comes to tackling. There's a lot of video on Tankersley not even trying to tackle. Has no interest in it. A huge liability.
I guess you followed him all year and can't vouch for this as one of his strengths. I say he has the tools, as long as he's not a liability keeping the D on the field with a needless costly penalty.

Physical, willing to attack the LOS on run plays/screens, missed only 12 of 114 tackle attempts over last two seasons.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-cordrea-tankersley-cb-clemson/

He's a solid tackler reminds me of Vonte Davis. Howard and Maxwell have the corner covered pretty well and I feel good about Tankersley to have the right coverage techniques drilled into his head. From here on out it's going to be about coaching technique and playing smart.

He gives little effort to tackle - barely gets off blocks. I saw stats showing he doesn't miss a ton but that doesn't mean he's good at it.

I'm having flashbacks to the non-tackle Lippett had on Antonio Brown in the playoff game and AJ Green running wild after the catch.

Cute. I edited the post. Now follow through.

As far as i know we run a 4-3 where we have two boundary corners which would have Maxwell and Howard presumably starting as cb. Two safeties, 3 Linebackers, and 4 Dlineman. From what I am reading Tankersly is a boundary corner so am I unware of a new defense we are running where we have 4 boundary corners playing? Unless you mean when we have to go to a nickel, but from what I read Tankersly wouldnt be a good nickel qb and neither would Howard, Lippet, or Maxwell... I am not trying to be negative like everyone else here, just dont see the need. If we needed secondary help it I think its in the safety or slot corner

Sorry but there's a reason Tankersley is called the worst tackler as a CB in the entire draft. Watch a lot of video on him. It doesn't lie. Tankersley is as bad or worse than Sean Smith was as a tackler. Absolutely pathetic horse **** effort when it comes to tackling. There's a lot of video on Tankersley not even trying to tackle. Has no interest in it. A huge liability.

NFL General Managers don't care about the tape when it comes to cornerbacks. Otherwise Marlon Humphrey wouldn't have been a 1st round pick. I said that months ago. It's all about raw tools and upside with corners and the NFL draft. You can throw that tape stuff out.

Furthermore, the NFL doesn't care if CB's tackle or not. You can't watch an NFL game without seeing corners blatantly avoid attempts at tackling and make what they call "business decisions". It's disgusting. And they don't care.

Everybody remembers Antonio Cromartie setting the example turning down Shonn Greene. Didn't stop him from getting paid and keep sending him out there. From then on many knew they didn't have to tackle anymore as a job requirement.

Cute. I edited the post. Now follow through.

I don't think we press as much but our base D is a 4-3. Sometimes I couldn't tell what our coverage was last year. Without Jones 2 deep safety looks did't work and we were exposed in the middle of the field. Just a lot of holes on the D period with lots of injuries and no depth.

I have a feeling they try him a FS....Also wondering if King From Iowa gets moved to SS when/if he gets drafted.

As far as i know we run a 4-3 where we have two boundary corners which would have Maxwell and Howard presumably starting as cb. Two safeties, 3 Linebackers, and 4 Dlineman. From what I am reading Tankersly is a boundary corner so am I unware of a new defense we are running where we have 4 boundary corners playing? Unless you mean when we have to go to a nickel, but from what I read Tankersly wouldnt be a good nickel qb and neither would Howard, Lippet, or Maxwell... I am not trying to be negative like everyone else here, just dont see the need. If we needed secondary help it I think its in the safety or slot corner

It's the Nickel, 4-2-5.

I put the full project on hold due to the draft but from what I have charted about our defense so far from last year we spent 68% of our time in the Nickel.

Maxwell is not a sure thing and is getting older and missed 3 games, Howard missed 9 games due to injury, and Lippet is good but still a work in progress. Depth is a must at CB if we plan on keeping up with the modern NFL and Tankersley is a prototypical Cover 2 press corner that also fits the measurements we require as well. I agree on the slot need but perimeter CBs hold a higher priority and it was a need.

I don't think we press as much but our base D is a 4-3. Sometimes I couldn't tell what our coverage was last year. Without Jones 2 deep safety looks did't work and we were exposed in the middle of the field. Just a lot of holes on the D period with lots of injuries and no depth.

We're have become a 4-2-5 Cover 2 press defense. Coverage is very hard to decipher these days b/w man and zone because it has become a blend of both within the same defensive call.

It's the Nickel, 4-2-5.

I put the full project on hold due to the draft but from what I have charted about our defense so far from last year we spent 68% of our time in the Nickel.

Maxwell is not a sure thing and is getting older and missed 3 games, Howard missed 9 games due to injury, and Lippet is good but still a work in progress. Depth is a must at CB if we plan on keeping up with the modern NFL and Tankersley is a prototypical Cover 2 press corner that also fits the measurements we require as well. I agree on the slot need but perimeter CBs hold a higher priority and it was a need.

I was wondering how you were coming along with that. As we discussed before, the rise in Nickel across all NFL teams led me to believe we were in the nickel the majority of the time. In essence....making it our base D.

I was wondering how you were coming along with that. As we discussed before, the rise in Nickel across all NFL teams led me to believe we were in the nickel the majority of the time. In essence....making it our base D.

Yep. NFL's offenses as a whole were in 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) 60% of the time which will almost always dictate a 4-2-5 with the small exception of some 3-4 teams with very athletic LBs.

The Nickel is essentially the NFL's new "base" defense.

I'll finish up the defensive project soon (soon = month or so. Weather is perfect here in Florida so I can't be couped up. :chuckle:) and post all the details in VIP.

Back
Top Bottom