Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Select CB Cordrea Tankersley at Pick #97

Fits our prototype at corner to a tee.

I would've preferred Desmond King but this is a guy our FO was targeting, and they got him.

I'm a big Maxwell supporter, no surprise. And everybody just assumes Byron and his big salary are gone after this yr. What happens IF Byron plays 16 games like he played those 9 games last year mid season? He played shut down D and allowed like 46 yds a game on his coverage. Yes, he sucks at tackling, so does 90% of every other NFL corner. People on here have been calling for his head since day 1, and I don't get it. He was the best CB on the team before he got hurt. Still is.

I like the player and fit for a team like Miami, especially at this selection. I had a late 2nd round grade on Cordrea Tankersley. He fits the mold of what Miami is looking for in their corners and what they want to do. Lengthy, fast, athletic corners who need to press and disrupt the release. He needs to clean up some technique. But you have to let him get up in a receiver's grill and press....make him get his hands on the guy early because he doesn't backpedal all that well. He's not comfortable doing it. You don't want him playing off.

Where I have a disconnect with the people making the decisions....if you already knew you were going to draft a CB early, why you didn't take Tre'Davious White instead of Charles Harris in the 1st round. If you had a higher grade on Harris than you did White, that's where I can't understand what the heck you're looking at. He starts for you immediately, not to mention he upgrades your special teams as one of the elite punt returners in the draft.

He could suck, but I understand this is a scheme move that's not going to be sexy to fans. Even if he's decent at best he comes in and fits right into the system. That's what you really look for in the draft because it's all a crap shoot. You just want guys who can contribute in your scheme. If a 3rd round guy pans out to be a star then great, but that's usually not what happens. If he contributes and fits our scheme, it's a good pick to me.

We can only wait and see of course.

I know nothing about this guy but I hate "soft" corners. That's why I liked Surtain, Vontae, and now Howard...guys that support the run! I couldn't stand Sean Smith. I normally wouldn't like guys like Sam Madison but he was such a playmaker that I had to like him. As much as Jamar Taylor was a bust, the dude was aggressive and supported the run. I wish we would've given him a chance under Vance.

I like Clancy here is what he said about pick:

Simon Clancy @SiClancy
I liked Tankersley more than Mack Alexander last year. Great length, boundary corner with terrific ball skills. He's great value here.

I really like the kid. Good pick. This draft we seem to be doing a good job of selecting good players. Also, we're drafting young players. Harris came out as a junior. McMillan was young. Now Tankersley, who is young.

I see Tankersley as a good fit. Big, physical, boundary CB with the tools to become a solid starter. I see this guy as the eventual Byron Maxwell replacement. He's not a nickel guy, he's a boundary guy.

Well this is a discussion forum, no? At least i'm willing to put evaluations and opinions out there and stick behind them. No offense, but I don't see you putting much out there. If you're going to respond in such a manner on someone else's post, even it was an overly combative and emotional response in the moment, at least come at it with more than sarcasm.

As i said, i just don't like Tankersly as a prospect. It's a gut feeling i get at times with some prospects. He has measureables, ball skills and speed, but to me he plays high, panics far too often and grabs, and has shown to get beat deep even with his 4.4 speed. Plus, he offers nothing against the run. I think he's going to struggle with savvy NFL WRs. Now that he's a Phin, i hope i'm dead wrong. I'm not sure how he helps right now and in my eyes, this team is on a 2 year plan with so many contracts expiring or able to be bought out with minimal dead money. We have an older roster, so i'm seeing other guys on the board with great value at other need positions, guys i have rated higher at their position than i have Tankersly at his. Guys i can see playing significant time this year.

He's a solid tackler reminds me of Vonte Davis. Howard and Maxwell have the corner covered pretty well and I feel good about Tankersley to have the right coverage techniques drilled into his head. From here on out it's going to be about coaching technique and playing smart.

Sorry but there's a reason Tankersley is called the worst tackler as a CB in the entire draft. Watch a lot of video on him. It doesn't lie. Tankersley is as bad or worse than Sean Smith was as a tackler. Absolutely pathetic horse **** effort when it comes to tackling. There's a lot of video on Tankersley not even trying to tackle. Has no interest in it. A huge liability.

I still dont understand why we need a corner so bad anyways. Slot corner maybe, but I are we already saying Howard is going to be a bust? I thought he looked pretty good as a rookie... Lippet was starting to look to be a solid #2 CB and Aside from a rough start to the year Maxwell was pretty solid the second half. So I personally feel we have 3 starting quality CB's on the outside with the potential for Howard and Lippet to be pretty good. I just think we need a slot guy to replace Mccain, not sure if Tankersly fits that bill but I think we had much bigger needs

I still dont understand why we need a corner so bad anyways. Slot corner maybe, but I are we already saying Howard is going to be a bust? I thought he looked pretty good as a rookie... Lippet was starting to look to be a solid #2 CB and Aside from a rough start to the year Maxwell was pretty solid the second half. So I personally feel we have 3 starting quality CB's on the outside with the potential for Howard and Lippet to be pretty good. I just think we need a slot guy to replace Mccain, not sure if Tankersly fits that bill but I think we had much bigger needs

What's our base defense?

Answer that correctly and you'll find your answer.

Back
Top Bottom