Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick

Good to know that the next drafts will have a lot less gaping holes. 1st and 2nd rounders for another DE, OLBs, and a FS. BPA, of course. We'll cut players during training camp that will be on other teams' active rosters. I went into this draft fully confident that we don't need a QB. This all indicates progress.

Here he talks about meeting Bill Belichick, also dismisses any concern over his cover skills...

[video=youtube_share;-2ghjALG1XY]https://youtu.be/-2ghjALG1XY[/video]

I wasn't going to address this pile of **** take, but on the other hand I didn't want other members to be swayed by it's complete and utter ignorance either.

Reakwon has the talent, youth and speed to put grandpa Timmons at strong side or on the bench before camp is out. RM can be a pro bowl player if put in the RIGHT position.

However, if they put him at olb, the party is over for RM. His problem is when he gets put in space, he gets juked and doesn't have the athetisism and limber in his hips to turn and go with players already with a full run coming by. But if they put him IMEDIATELY at mlb where belongs, he will shine and thats patrolling that 5 to 10 yd space from the los and disrupting and destroying any and everything trying to get out.

4-3 Mike's are the one's who are in space and the lone LB on the unit who is completely unprotected by the defensive front. It is the most challenging position on the entire unit. So saying that putting Raekwon in the middle b/c he would fail on the outside makes absolutely no sense.

What makes you think that a middle LB is solely responsible for a mere 10 or so yards off the ball? A football field is almost 55 yards wide. A MLB must cover S2S so if you really think that Raekwon does not have the athleticism (which is false) to play outside, what in the world convinces you he will be able to track down the ball carrier to the fieldside when he must cover almost 30 yards of ground to the far sideline? After all the Will in that scenario is "merely" responsible for the cutback and trails the backside.

Kipper wasn't entirely wrong when he said this would have been a great pic if it were still 1985-95. However, I feel RM has enough coverage ability that is underestimated. The thing about gronk is, not letting him get to open space because then it's over. You have to be man enough to curb stomp him at the los and be in his hip pocket for 5-10 yds should he get lose and then you have neutralized him. And RM is man enough and fast enough to jam him up at the los and stay with him for those 5-10 yds when he gets off the line. Hell, just someone on this lb unit who can diagnose the play going TO gronk will be an 80% improvement!!

First off Kiper's a ****ing idiot. A useless, yapping pompadour.

So you say Raekwon can't man an OLB spot, but now all of a sudden he can cover the best TE in the league? Ditch the agenda, pal. It's foolish.

A Mike in our Cover 2 shell will at times be responsible for the vertical seam (see post #148) and will have to carry coverage all the way down the pipe which is much further than simply "5-10" yards from the LOS. That kind of coverage requires the athleticism you falsely say that Raekown does not possess on the outside but somehow magically does in the middle.

"curb stomp him at the LOS" :bobdole: Dude, our LBs play off the ball. How the **** are they supposed to press a TE on the LOS? Especially at Mike. And if that's what you want from Raekwon then he's playing Sam in an Under front. Oh by the way, just to clarify, that's an outside backer spot.

Yep, RM is and old school, knock you silly mlb and that's actually good news because we haven't had a true enforcer at the los since Zach Thomas. Now let's see if coach wonder and his new D/C Will not dicck around and play cutsy pie with him and waste snaps and reps trying to make him into something he is not.

There's a good chance Raekwon will begin his career on the outside and if that does happen it is because he is a rookie and they trust a 10 yr vet like Timmons, who has seen it all by this time in his career, to make the defensive calls. Nothing wrong with that and no one is playing patty-cake with his development.

Head to the sideline and take a knee. You need a breather and have got some learning to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching some film and his coverage skills seemed to be underrated. He's got good instincts, fills the middle well. Not the fastest guy on the field but he typically seems to know where he's going.

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

I think his sideline to sideline speed might be an issue.

1.I am not sure if its pure instincts or great preparation but he seems to be amazing at quickly determining run vs pass.
2.Yes, the obvious, His tacking skills are off the charts. its like Velcro.
3. He takes realllllllly great angles to the ball carrier.

Most likely scenario is Raek will have a heck of a time unseating Misi. As much as he is disliked for not being great and not being durable, Misi is a hard working, coach-able, fundamentally sound player who coaches love. He has been a favorite of just about every coaching regime we have had. It may take an injury for RM to get his shot unless he completely blows everyone's mind in camp. I believe once he does get his shot as an injury replacement, RM will never relinquish it.

Most likely scenario is Raek will have a heck of a time unseating Misi. As much as he is disliked for not being great and not being durable, Misi is a hard working, coach-able, fundamentally sound player who coaches love. He has been a favorite of just about every coaching regime we have had. It may take an injury for RM to get his shot unless he completely blows everyone's mind in camp. I believe once he does get his shot as an injury replacement, RM will never relinquish it.

RM will relegate Misi to the bench. With his neck issues, he should be a depth player at this point anyways and not a full time starter.
This is ZT and Del Rio 2.0

Back
Top Bottom