Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick

He does have some concerns....mainly the film not always showing the 4.6 speed sideline to sideline and a little stiffness in the lower body to redirect in space (tackling in open field, coverage), which was confirmed with the 3cone and shuttle....which is probably the only reason he was there late in Round 2.

That being said, i like him. Tackle to tackle he's a thumper....big, strong, physical. His short, choppy steps allow him to sift through garbage easier inside to find the ball. When he does, he brings the wood! I also love that he was a team captain and set the defense......those guys bring more value with smarts and locker room leadership. He seems like a good kid too. I'm interested to see where this staff puts him Day 1 (Sam or Mike) and how he develops in this system.

He's a SAM until Timmons leaves or moves to Weak if Alonso leaves.

He's the future Mike tho and it makes me happy that we finally have a real freaking Mike, and his attitude is bust proof.

He does have some concerns....mainly the film not always showing the 4.6 speed sideline to sideline and a little stiffness in the lower body to redirect in space (tackling in open field, coverage), which was confirmed with the 3cone and shuttle....which is probably the only reason he was there late in Round 2.

That being said, i like him. Tackle to tackle he's a thumper....big, strong, physical. His short, choppy steps allow him to sift through garbage easier inside to find the ball. When he does, he brings the wood! I also love that he was a team captain and set the defense......those guys bring more value with smarts and locker room leadership. He seems like a good kid too. I'm interested to see where this staff puts him Day 1 (Sam or Mike) and how he develops in this system.

He's a Mike, we might shuffle slightly here and there, but at the end of the day he'll man that spot for hopefully years to come. He has no real flaws in his game as a middle backer. Sky's the limit for this kid, especially at such a young age and being so eager to be coached.

Look ma! We got ourselves a Mike!

A team leader and well-coached football enthusiast at that.

Can't like this pick enough.

This may be high praise, but I see Navarro Bowman when he plays. If he could be that good in the pros Miami will be happpy for a long time.

He's a Mike, we might shuffle slightly here and there, but at the end of the day he'll man that spot for hopefully years to come. He has no real flaws in his game as a middle backer. Sky's the limit for this kid, especially at such a young age and being so eager to be coached.

I agree. The only reason i'm waiting to see is because Timmons went public with the comment he was playing inside. I think he needs to be Sam with McMillan at Mike and Kiko at Will

This may be high praise, but I see Navarro Bowman when he plays. If he could be that good in the pros Miami will be happpy for a long time.

He's a much better prospect than Bowman was coming out. The light also came on with him fairly quickly ... playing next to Willis didn't hurt. He's a guy you draft and hope it clicks ... which it did.

He's a much better prospect than Bowman was coming out. The light also came on with him fairly quickly ... playing next to Willis didn't hurt. He's a guy you draft and hope it clicks ... which it did.

I'm not disputing that and the Willis effect didn't hurt either.

I thought Bowman was of high regard when he came out? I must be wrong.

I'm not disputing that and the Willis effect didn't hurt either.

I thought Bowman was of high regard when he came out? I must be wrong.

I thought he got over drafted in the 3rd (90s I think) but the depths of the classes don't compare. McClain and Weatherspoon were the 1st rounders. Misi went in the 2nd. Way better LB group this time around.

He was indeed named after Raekwon of Wu-Tang:

"Yeah, some of his old-school stuff is pretty cool," McMillan responded when asked if he likes Raekwon's music. "My mom liked the name, the Wu-Tang clan and all of that. She liked the rap name, not his real name, but his rap name. So that's what she named me."

McMillan is more of a Meek Mill fan, but he does have one special request from the rap star — and you can help.

"I'd like to meet him one day," McMillan said. "Other than that, it's just my name."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2015/10/the_recruiting_ploy_other_scho.html

Here's a quick little look at Raekwon in pass coverage.

0:18 mark. Flattens out to the RB's swing route (zero false steps, feet under shoulders) while his eyes remain on the QB, yet still has the awareness to stay in the passing lane under the slant and tips the ball to the DB for an INT. As soon as he sees the takeaway is secured he finds the first man he can to block for his teammate to score.

[video=youtube;IA01DuvEDC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA01DuvEDC0[/video]

2 down backer my ass. This kid is going to be a star.

*5:25 - Tampa 2 coverage where Raekwon has the middle vertical seam. Nebraska runs play action and hits the TE after he leaks out on a trail route. McMillan meets him as soon as he catches the ball and makes the tackle short of the first.

5:35 - Very next play Raekwon shoots to his gap but doesn't overrun it and remains patient until the RB chooses his lane. Avoids the blocker and once he makes contact watch him keep pumping his legs and accelerate his feet to maintain power, gain leverage and ultimately the stop on 3rd down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom