Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick

I'm not disputing that and the Willis effect didn't hurt either. I thought Bowman was of high regard when he came out? I must be wrong.
He and Sean Lee were pretty small. But they were HUGE gym rats. Bowman grew into a monster and retained all of his "undersized linebacker" speed.

Raekwon addresses the concerns over his coverage abilities in the beginning of the video...

[video=youtube_share;0RcLze0SaTI]https://youtu.be/0RcLze0SaTI[/video]

I think he's a better athlete than given credit for...

[video=youtube_share;r6-XN9Du66k]https://youtu.be/r6-XN9Du66k[/video]

Sorry guys I don't see him being anything good.I hope I'm wrong.

Why don't you ask your buddy that works for the Dolphins and see what he thinks of him . . . :chuckle:

My Friend who works with the Dolphins (no name) Said We will draft Dalvin Cook if hes available at 22, and he is their top choice.

giphy.gif

Here's a quick little look at Raekwon in pass coverage.

0:18 mark. Flattens out to the RB's swing route (zero false steps, feet under shoulders) while his eyes remain on the QB, yet still has the awareness to stay in the passing lane under the slant and tips the ball to the DB for an INT. As soon as he sees the takeaway is secured he finds the first man he can to block for his teammate to score.

[video=youtube;IA01DuvEDC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA01DuvEDC0[/video]

2 down backer my ass. This kid is going to be a star.

*5:25 - Tampa 2 coverage where Raekwon has the middle vertical seam. Nebraska runs play action and hits the TE after he leaks out on a trail route. McMillan meets him as soon as he catches the ball and makes the tackle short of the first.

5:35 - Very next play Raekwon shoots to his gap but doesn't overrun it and remains patient until the RB chooses his lane. Avoids the blocker and once he makes contact watch him keep pumping his legs and accelerate his feet to maintain power, gain leverage and ultimately the stop on 3rd down.

Yeah, I didn't see a single reason to be concerned about his coverage skills in that.

He's a Mike, we might shuffle slightly here and there, but at the end of the day he'll man that spot for hopefully years to come. He has no real flaws in his game as a middle backer. Sky's the limit for this kid, especially at such a young age and being so eager to be coached.
Well who's our future SAM?

Just a very clean prospect. Reminds you a lot of ironically a young Lawrence Timmons. Doesn't take many false steps off any misdirection. And he won't even be legally able to drink yet until halfway into next season. He's going to be 10 year player for the Dolphins.

[video=youtube;Nfm6LD3XHPc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfm6LD3XHPc&t=189s[/video]

This is a good game to watch McMillan fight through blocks, cause it seems Wisconsin has 10 linemen on every running play. There is one play where Wis. gets a huge run, but on that one play is McMillan destroying the Fullback. Just kills him. Set it at 0:45 and change the speed to 0.25.

Another thing I like with McMillan is that he's always on his feet, he doesn't get tossed around (he get's moved but he's always on his feet).

Future? :idk:

This year? Timmons

If Misi is healthy, I think early we'll see Misi/Timmons/Alonso . . . But once he inevitably gets hurt I see Kwon as the SAM on base downs and depending how fallen off Timmons is in coverage keep Kwon in on third downs next to Alonso when they run their 4-2-5 alignment.

But completely agree come year 3 no ifs, ands or buts that is your MIKE and he is talented enough to take the job day 1 . . . Despite the cash other have gotten.

Good problem to have with a positional group that has been horrendous for many years.

If Misi is healthy, I think early we'll see Misi/Timmons/Alonso . . . But once he inevitably gets hurt I see Kwon as the SAM on base downs and depending how fallen off Timmons is in coverage keep Kwon in on third downs next to Alonso when they run their 4-2-5 alignment.

But completely agree come year 3 no ifs, ands or buts that is your MIKE and he is talented enough to take the job day 1 . . . Despite the cash other have gotten.

Good problem to have with a positional group that has been horrendous for many years.

I could see that. Certainly a possibility. To me, though, I don't think we're going to be able to keep this kid off the field and I see immediate impact.

Well who's our future SAM?

That will be another first or second round pick in 2018. McMillan's future is definitely at MIKE.

We weren't going to rebuild that putrid linebacker group in one offseason, but they sure did a hell of a job improving it going into 2017 with an eye for the future (Kiko locked up long term and McMillan drafted).

Timmons is a one year stop gap, IMO. And he's still solid enough.

Reakwon has the talent, youth and speed to put grandpa Timmons at strong side or on the bench before camp is out. RM can be a pro bowl player if put in the RIGHT position.

However, if they put him at olb, the party is over for RM. His problem is when he gets put in space, he gets juked and doesn't have the athetisism and limber in his hips to turn and go with players already with a full run coming by. But if they put him IMEDIATELY at mlb where belongs, he will shine and thats patrolling that 5 to 10 yd space from the los and disrupting and destroying any and everything trying to get out.

Kipper wasn't entirely wrong when he said this would have been a great pic if it were still 1985-95. However, I feel RM has enough coverage ability that is underestimated. The thing about gronk is, not letting him get to open space because then it's over. You have to be man enough to curb stomp him at the los and be in his hip pocket for 5-10 yds should he get lose and then you have neutralized him. And RM is man enough and fast enough to jam him up at the los and stay with him for those 5-10 yds when he gets off the line. Hell, just someone on this lb unit who can diagnose the play going TO gronk will be an 80% improvement!!

Yep, RM is and old school, knock you silly mlb and that's actually good news because we haven't had a true enforcer at the los since Zach Thomas. Now let's see if coach wonder and his new D/C Will not dicck around and play cutsy pie with him and waste snaps and reps trying to make him into something he is not.

Put the masher in the middle of the action and let the masher mash. Put Timmons at strong side and Kiko at week where his talents are best suited. And keep freekin' misi off the field. If misi is starting day one then things have gone terribly, terribly wrong!!!!

Back
Top Bottom