For Older Fins Fans...Doug Betters | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For Older Fins Fans...Doug Betters

Well.....

There is a running argument between my son and I. He maintains that Taylor was our best DE of all time. Sacks don’t lie, and the man was an animal. Closely following Taylor is Wake, who is (fittingly) second in sacks.

But my boy never got to watch the originals...

Doug was a force. One of the last true ends we’ve had. Nowadays, they are not “defensive ends”, they are called “edge rushers”. As though they are QB eaters and nothing more.

But Doug was a true DE. As were his awesome predecessors, Bill Stanfill and Vern Den Herder. As good against the run as at pass rushing.

Vern was the best. A force at rushing, but even better against the run.

I may be a bit biased. He lives 20 miles from me, and is a friend.

Well.....

There is a running argument between my son and I. He maintains that Taylor was our best DE of all time. Sacks don’t lie, and the man was an animal. Closely following Taylor is Wake, who is (fittingly) second in sacks.

But my boy never got to watch the originals...

Doug was a force. One of the last true ends we’ve had. Nowadays, they are not “defensive ends”, they are called “edge rushers”. As though they are QB eaters and nothing more.

But Doug was a true DE. As were his awesome predecessors, Bill Stanfill and Vern Den Herder. As good against the run as at pass rushing.

Vern was the best. A force at rushing, but even better against the run.

I may be a bit biased. He lives 20 miles from me, and is a friend.

Some great Dolphin names in this post. Takes me back to a better time with this team.........

I remember Betters. Great player. Good guy. And has already been mentioned, Betters was great against the pass and the run. Would have had more sacks in the pass happy era we are presently in. The Montana Grizz are always competitive. They had some real rumbles with North Dakota St back in the day and recently.

I would have to also agree with the comments about Arnsparger. The man was an absolute defensive genius.

I see he had a DPOY and 2 seasons where he had 30 combines sacks but than not much else. What happened?
He was a bit of different type of end as some of the guys posted - definitely in the mold of Stanfill and Den Herder where they had to play the run well and the pass. He didn’t tee off on every play - I think it had more to do w adjusting to what the offenses were showing that dictated his style of play. He had the tragic skiing accident and has been paralyzed ever since. At 6’7” he looked like a giant out there and so sad to see him confined to that wheelchair after the accident.

Man do I miss Montana, grew up in Helena. Had to move to Mississippi for work. I definitely got hosed in that trade.

Helena's got some nice places around it. The drive from Garrison Junction and parts east of Helena through Townsend, White Sulphur, Harlo, etc. is some of the best country anywhere.

Mountain Man Doug Betters?..Hell,yes!!!! One of the best of the Killer Bee's...

Better was a good player. Part of the killer bees. Speaking of great DE's......Are you guys forgetting about Bill Stanfil and Den Ven Herder? Also, Trace Armstrong had some good years for us too.

Ozzy rules!!

Better was a good player. Part of the killer bees. Speaking of great DE's......Are you guys forgetting about Bill Stanfil and Den Ven Herder? Also, Trace Armstrong had some good years for us too.

Ozzy rules!!

See my above.

It's sad what happened to him. He was supposed to fly to Miami for a golf tournament that day, decided to ski a bit before flying out. I guess it could have happened any other day. I saw this video on tv a couple weeks ago. It's very good watch.

I never thought the 90’s Olivadotti defenses were all that talent-starved. They had a good enough group of players to succeed with the right coaching. Schematically, they were very read and react and very conservative. And Olivadotti never could outscheme the Bills twice in one year. Plus the Bills had Hall-of-Famers at every offensive position.

Ouch.
I remember our D being killed by Thurman Thomas screen plays.

My most vivid memory turned out to be Olivadotti's last game as a Dolphins DC. Two weeks prior, the Dolphins lost to the Bills in Buffalo. The primary reason for the loss was the defense allowing 208 yards rushing.

In the wildcard playoff game, the Dolphins opened the game in a nickel defense. I remember screaming at the TV - "WTF are you doing?" The Bills proceeded to rush for 341 yards and beat the Dolphins 37-22. Marino threw for 432 yards in defeat.

That was Shula's last game as coach of the Dolphins. Tom Olivadotti was a cruel joke as a DC.

Back
Top Bottom