For Older Fins Fans...Doug Betters | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For Older Fins Fans...Doug Betters

Was at the University of Montana this week finishing stuff up for my Master’s Degree, and I walked down their “Hall of Champions”

I saw this...recognizing Doug Betters, complete with an old school Fins helmet...enjoy!

View attachment 10870
Doug Betters never wore that Dolphin logo. One of my favorite Dolphin players ever. That kind of oversight drives me crazy ! He deserves much better!

Doug Betters was a very good player combined with GREAT coaching. IMO, the greatest coach in Dolphins history is not Don Shula, it's Bill Arnsparger. His defenses while the DC of the Dolphins were ridiculous. Here is a summary of their success:

In 12 years as the DC, the team AVERAGED 5th in points allowed. To further emphasize the point, after he left at the end of the 1983 season, this is how the defense ranked in points allowed:

1984 - 7th
1985 - 12th
1986 - 26th

It is no coincidence that Shula & Marino never made another SB after 1984.

Doug Betters was a very good player combined with GREAT coaching. IMO, the greatest coach in Dolphins history is not Don Shula, it's Bill Arnsparger. His defenses while the DC of the Dolphins were ridiculous. Here is a summary of their success:

In 12 years as the DC, the team AVERAGED 5th in points allowed. To further emphasize the point, after he left at the end of the 1983 season, this is how the defense ranked in points allowed:

1984 - 7th
1985 - 12th
1986 - 26th

It is no coincidence that Shula & Marino never made another SB after 1984.

Arsnparger has to rate in the top 10 all-time for defensive coordinators. The Shula/Arsnsparger connection was amazing. Comparing the two is not apples to apples, though.

Arsnparger, unfortunately, didn't have any success as a head coach. Shula is the winningest coach of all-time, having positive seasons after Arsnparger left.

Back
Top Bottom