Free Agents Left | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agents Left

Again, 8 catches for all of last year says otherwise - he is not a seam threat or going to have the ability to get deep.

Look at targets, not catches. He wasn't used in that aspect of the game. As a blocker, however ...

And on those eight catches, Fasano had as many TDs as Barnidge did last season (two).

Because CLE QBs were dog #@&$ last year and because Fasano is a great goaline TE option.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

if Fasano is on the field, you know its probably a run play. That's the problem lol.

Exactly.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Look at targets, not catches. He wasn't used in that aspect of the game. As a blocker, however ...

I would argue that's because he is no longer a reliable target to move the chains in the passing game.

Seriously guys 8 catches all year and we think that replaces Sims? |

I know he's an amazing blocker and thankful we have him but I would argue he should be a flex TE2/TE3 depending on the situation (run, pass, goaline)

Debatable, if you look at the depth chart from last year technically Thomas is replacing Jordan Cameron and Fasano is replacing Sims.

My opinion is Grey replaced Cameron last year. Fasano is replacing the blocking lost by the departure of Sims and Julius Thomas is there to be the seam/receiving threat. I also still think you can use fassano in the passing game all be it not in a huge way.

Anyone have any info on the development of Duarte?

I don't feel the need to bring in another TE. We had some terrific games last year without Cameron and Sims, sometimes both at the same time. And the great thing was that when we had the deep backups in there it wasn't as if they were hidden on the field, we actually featured them on a lot of plays and their execution was great. Do I advocate for a guy like Gray being a starting TE in this league? No, but we are talking about third string. Having a guy you don't have to hide at third string and who can execute when his number is called is pretty darn nice.

As far as Fasano, why are we so worried about whether or not he is a seam threat? Even at his best the guy never was. What he is good at is both blocking and in the passing game he knows how to find a soft spot, get open, and execute the catch. A RZ monster he wasn't, but when we had QB's who could play effective red zone football he executed well down there on play actions and things. Most teams around the league employ a backup TE who has a different skillset than their starter. It's also really funny that we're worried about the passing production last year of a TE who was on the most run-oriented team in the league (not sure if numbers wise but in philosophy they were very vocal about "exotic smashmouth").

Honestly, I think I'm most interested in seeing if a veteran guard gets cut loose because of salary, or some rookie developmental TE gets cut so we can stash him on the Practice Squad. I'm sure we're looking for any quality DT, CB, FS, OG or TE.

I'm not concerned with TE very much at all right now, more DEs, DTs and Gs are pretty much all I'm interested in. Or if a starting caliber FS shakes loose.

They aren't signing a TE unless someone big gets cut loose. If TE was a pressing need they could have drafted Bucky Hodges in the 6th and had a matchup nightmare in the red zone.

So I think it's telling of the situation. Thomas will be fine in this offense and Fasano brings the physical TE traits you need. Gray may end up being a good NFL TE. In fact I'm excited to see him this year with an expanded role.

I'd sit tight right now and wait to see what else shakes loose from the rosters.

I like this idea. Bring them into camp for as cheap as possible and see what they've got.

Revis is getting 8 million from the jets just to stay home. He did say he would play this year for 8 million. Not worth it.

8 catches on 14 targets. Andre Johnson had 9 catches on 23 targets. Both had 2 td's. So he's at least as good as AJ. :hump:

Back
Top Bottom