Gase on Tannehill: “I see him as our starting quarterback” in 2018. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase on Tannehill: “I see him as our starting quarterback” in 2018.

I have no issues with Tannehill being the starting QB for next season and I'm looking forward to seeing him back in action but I think we need to get a backup in that's going to challenge Tannehill for the starting position. Somebody that Tannehill knows could easily slot in if he's not performing to the standards. Fales being backup doesn't sit well with me. The guy played decent on Sunday but he's never going to challenge Ryan or be a capable starter if God forbid Ryan got injured again.

This is the first thing I thought of when I heard 2 ACL tears. My understanding is that once it "Tears" as in separates from the bone, it must be reattached surgically. That's why I never understood how surgery was only an option. Unless it was a few millimeters or so.

The original injury was only a "partial tear" and the Drs thought with rest and rehab he would be fine and surgery would not be needed....when he hurt it in training camp he finished the tearing process and his old acl is gone...

I chalk the decision to not get surgery as just another opportunity to check it down.

more yards per game, better TD%, better INT%, better TD/INT ratio, higher QB rating. So, yes.

That is true during the regular season. But Flacco's post season stats tell a different story. 25 more TD passes, 10 more playoff wins, 6 of which he had Passer rating of 100 or more.
One of the best 5 Super Bowl passer rating ever accomplished at the time. Stuff Tannehill has never done.

That is true during the regular season. But Flacco's post season stats tell a different story. 25 more TD passes, 10 more playoff wins, 6 of which he had Passer rating of 100 or more.
One of the best 5 Super Bowl passer rating ever accomplished at the time. Stuff Tannehill has never done.

We can revisit this discussion when the Fins FO has built a playoff caliber team and they accumulate some playoff stats. Until then, I'll look at the whole body of work and stick to my conclusion that Tannehill is the better QB. You are free to do otherwise.

Never said either one was better. Just stating that your use of regular season stats to make your full conclusion of who is better is pretty short sighted.

Never said either one was better. Just stating that your use of regular season stats to make your full conclusion of who is better is pretty short sighted.

Flacco has a QB rating of 88 in the playoffs, which is marginally better than his regular season rating of 84.

The stats were posted to respond to the OP's inquiry about who had better stats. I can only assume that he really assumed the opposite of what is true. Also, Flacco's stats have been trending down for 3 seasons.

Pats
Steelers
Eagles
Rams
Seahawks
Ravens
Chiefs

Raiders
Chargers
Cowboys
Redskins (right now)
Giants
Minnesota (maybe three)

Green Bay
Detroit
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta

No. Just no. Tannehill is in the same class with all of those QBs. Better than some.

And of those 12 teams not highlighted... 5 of those QBs are age 33 or older.

I'll take people who haven't seen Joe Flacco play football since his (admittedly incredible) Super Bowl run for $1,000, Alex.

But seriously though, I honestly do think people are reading too much into this. This doesn't mean the team isn't going to look at quarterback options, it means the coach is pretty realistic about the fact that #17 is going to win the camp competition.
Thank you. Flacco is an average at best QB right now and the last several years. He only looks elite against the Dolphins, so I understand the mindset.

He's cringe worthy at least half the time.

Tannehill will be back , and strong. Relax all. We should be more worried about our OL, We need a WR... We need to sign Jarvis. We need Linebacker 1st pick. Tannehill will win us a Super Bowl. He just needs smart WR,s. Im worried about OL and Linebackers.. Don't worry about Tannehill

I chalk the decision to not get surgery as just another opportunity to check it down.
Or actually listening to Medical professionals instead of, I don't know, guys on a message board , who second guess every decision without any consequence when they are wrong

Thank you. Flacco is an average at best QB right now and the last several years. He only looks elite against the Dolphins, so I understand the mindset.

He's cringe worthy at least half the time.

The Flacco argument is weird because he was a pretty good quarterback early in his career and was absolutely fantastic in the team's one good post-season run. But, he's honestly been just bad for four of the past five years. Where does that put him? I don't know.

The Ravens' problems aren't all on him. Harbaugh has hired some trashcan offensive coordinators and he's being asked to run his offense through Mike Wallace's bum ass. But still, he's just been errant on far too many throws, and that's a big part of the problem. Like head-scratchingly errant on some of his interceptions, especially in the red zone.

I think John Harbaugh is a really good coach, but he's done a really bad job of hiring offensive coordinators over the past few years and that's probably going to get him fired in the near future.

What this team needs is for Tannehill to go one way or the other, either be that guy who without question you can hang you hat on, or clearly not be. In his time with us he's been right in the middle and that means the debate never ends and we spend time and money trying to fix things around him to ensure we can say for certain it's not his fault. We shouldn't be still having a debate on if he is a franchise QB, 6 years into his career with us.

I would like us to draft a QB early, 1st or 2nd, not over reach, someone who can compete. It'll be interesting to see how Tannehill reacts to real competition, he's never had it while he's been with us, sure he had to beat out Matt Moore and a injured Garrad to the starting job in his rookie year, but Moore is not someone who practices well and Garrad was toast when he went down. Tannehill was also the future then, will be interesting to see if he rises to the challenge if a new guy is brought in to be the future, or he shrinks.

I know we have other holes and other priorities in the draft, so understand the logic in looking elsewhere, if they do, I think it is a clear indication that Gase isn't just playing lip service here, he means it and is staking his reputation on Tannehill getting to that next level.

We're sunk if Tannehill's knee can't withstand sacks. Really sunk.

However, beyond that, if the team concentrates its investments to build at least an average and importantly durable OL, I believe even if RT lacks some of his old mobility, he'll still do well per the attached.

I forgot about this screencap, but actually stumbled on it on the HD when looking for some other info. IMO, aside from his sterling numbers including "scoreboard" over his last 8 games, the following stat speaks volumes as far as what Tannehill can accomplish with a relatively clean pocket. (and for those to whom this is an "uncomfortable truth," get used to seeing it, LOL)
tannehill top 5 from clean pocket.jpg

So what is a realistic qb trio for the 2018 Dolphins? Maybe a Tannehill, Tyler Bray, Luke Falk group?

Back
Top Bottom