Gase on Tannehill: “I see him as our starting quarterback” in 2018. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase on Tannehill: “I see him as our starting quarterback” in 2018.

You should not have asked the first question if you wanted to make the case that Flacco is better than Tannehill. Statistically, Flacco has been bad or downright dreadful the past few seasons. And it started BEFORE he tore his ACL, thank you very much.

2015: 14 TD 12INT 6.8 Y/A
2016: 20TD 15INT 6.4 Y/A
2017: 18TD 13INT 5.7 Y/A

I don't think I even need to post Ryan Tannehill's statistics, as we've argued them to death already, and we all know he's been more productive than that in the last three years that he played.

---

As for clutch moments, I don't know how you would define that. If you want to use 4th quarter comebacks, Flacco has 19 of those in 154 games (12%) and Ryan Tannehill has 12 in 77 games (16%). I don't know what other criteria you want to use.

---

If you want to use playoff success? The answer is Flacco. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as their starting quarterback, and he played very well in the post-season. That's definitely the best argument for Joe Flacco. He was Great with a capital G in the 2012 post-season.

Really, I don't like or dislike Joe Flacco. I just post this because it's so easy to show how lazy and bad your argument is. The fact that you just throw this stuff out there without bothering to actually look up the things that can be looked up is incredible.
I was looking at an entire career, not the last three years. If you click on the links I sent, you will see their career stats are very similar

You should not have asked the first question if you wanted to make the case that Flacco is better than Tannehill. Statistically, Flacco has been bad or downright dreadful the past few seasons. And it started BEFORE he tore his ACL, thank you very much.

2015: 14 TD 12INT 6.8 Y/A
2016: 20TD 15INT 6.4 Y/A
2017: 18TD 13INT 5.7 Y/A

I don't think I even need to post Ryan Tannehill's statistics, as we've argued them to death already, and we all know he's been more productive than that in the last three years that he played.

---

As for clutch moments, I don't know how you would define that. If you want to use 4th quarter comebacks, Flacco has 19 of those in 154 games (12%) and Ryan Tannehill has 12 in 77 games (16%). I don't know what other criteria you want to use.

---

If you want to use playoff success? The answer is Flacco. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as their starting quarterback, and he played very well in the post-season. That's definitely the best argument for Joe Flacco. He was Great with a capital G in the 2012 post-season.

Really, I don't like or dislike Joe Flacco. I just post this because it's so easy to show how lazy and bad your argument is. The fact that you just throw this stuff out there without bothering to actually look up the things that can be looked up is incredible.
The talent on both sides of Flacco and Tannehill is not taken into account as well. Before the end half of '16, Tannehill couldn't buy consistent QB play.

A torn ligament will never heal on it's own back to 100%. Best case scenario is usually 60-70%. It was a full tear of an already partially torn ligament, not a healed ACL then another torn ACL. I don't know who was on the radio, but they were more than likely being fed incorrect information or just speculating. But to act like the ligament was as good as it was before the injury is just plain wrong.

I can't argue with your "a" point, but confidence will come with time. That'll be worked out in TC and preseason I'm sure.

As for your "b" point, it seems like you might not fully understand what goes into ACL reconstruction. When the ACL is reconstructed, it's completely replaced and anchored with screws into the bone. It's usually replaced with a hamstring tendon, patellar tendon, or a cadaver ligament. The original ACL is not re-used. Yes, if the new ACL is torn, that will leave it weakened, as with any other ligament tear. The number of tears has nothing to do with the strength or weakness of subsequent replacement ligaments, as long as the mcl, pcl, and lcl are intact and stabilizing muscles haven't suffered injury. Scar tissue might be a problem, but doesn't contribute to re-injury. Just inflammation and fluid retention.
I am definitely not an expert on medical issues and have to rely on information provided.

The talent on both sides of them? Really? Which talent are we talking about? How about players who've been on both teams... like Mike Wallace. Both quarterbacks threw to Mike Wallace as their #1 target for two seasons. Did Mike Wallace have more yards and touchdowns in two seasons in Miami, or in two seasons in Baltimore? I would love for you to look that one up!

I was looking at an entire career, not the last three years. If you click on the links I sent, you will see their career stats are very similar

Oh, okay, how about the 2013 season in which Flacco, a 6 year pro who had just become the highest paid player in football, posted one of the worst yards per attempt in the league and threw 22 interceptions (to only 19 touchdowns)? That wasn't in the last three years.

Yep, 32nd ranked among qualifying passers in yards per attempt 31st ranked in interception rate, and 32nd ranked in touchdown percentage. Joe Flacco, after breaking the bank and becoming the highest paid quarterback in football, had the WORST season of any starting quarterback in the NFL. That wasn't in the last three years.

Also, no rebuttal on the 'clutch moments' issue?

I'll take the over on Gase winning zero playoff games in his next thirteen years, so he should finish ahead of Lewis in that respect.

Yea, I expect as early as next year for Gase to do what Lewis could not his whole HC career.

The talent on both sides of them? Really? Which talent are we talking about? How about players who've been on both teams... like Mike Wallace. Both quarterbacks threw to Mike Wallace as their #1 target for two seasons. Did Mike Wallace have more yards and touchdowns in two seasons in Miami, or in two seasons in Baltimore? I would love for you to look that one up!

Oh, okay, how about the 2013 season in which Flacco, a 6 year pro who had just become the highest paid player in football, posted one of the worst yards per attempt in the league and threw 22 interceptions (to only 19 touchdowns)? That wasn't in the last three years.

lol Mike Wallace? Im not sure if you know this, but your making my argument for me? I mean jesus, we sucked with Wallace, and we STILL released/traded him. Sure, he was set to make like $11M, but he just wasn't that good. Doesn't help that he stopped in Miami first, so yea lol.

I am definitely not an expert on medical issues and have to rely on information provided.

I'm no expert, but I was an all-sec college athlete and a semi-pro mma fighter, I've seen a lot of injuries with the athletes I was around and experienced an ACL tear myself. Then an additional two surgeries on the same knee. I've done a LOT of research on the topic. I wasn't trying to be a douche about it, though. Hopefully it didn't come off that way.

lol Mike Wallace? Im not sure if you know this, but your making my argument for me? I mean jesus, we sucked with Wallace, and we STILL released him. Sure, he was set to make like $11M, but he just wasn't that good. Doesn't help that he stopped in Miami first, so yea lol.

You're not answering my question. We're talking about talent on both sides of the ball. Both quarterbacks have been forced to run their passing offenses through Mike Wallace for two years. Which quarterback performed better? Which quarterback allowed Wallace to have more production?

Let's go, you guys wanted to talk about stats, let's talk about some god damn box scores.

Man, I would pay good money to see what Joe Flacco's passer efficiency numbers would look like with Brian ****ing Hartline and Davone Bess as his go to guys.

Yep, 32nd ranked among qualifying passers in yards per attempt 31st ranked in interception rate, and 32nd ranked in touchdown percentage. Joe Flacco, after breaking the bank and becoming the highest paid quarterback in football, had the WORST season of any starting quarterback in the NFL. That wasn't in the last three years.

Yes, he had a bad season. I'm not arguing that. I just meant total body of work. Clutch. I was thinking of play in big games. I agree that there is no clear stat. You can disagree with me. Ryan has not been in many big games. Maybe he changes that. Joe has had big moments in big games.

If Flacco had been wearing a Dolphins uniform while putting up those numbers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Of course not, cause Ross seems content with hiring baby sitters to watch his part-time investment

Back
Top Bottom