Gase on Tannehill: “I see him as our starting quarterback” in 2018. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase on Tannehill: “I see him as our starting quarterback” in 2018.

Great minds think alike in terms of picking a QB in later rounds. If Ferguson is still on the board in the fourth -- where we have two picks -- I go after him.
I’m all for trading down from 11 and picking up more draft picks. I’d pick up Tanner Lee in the 6th or 7th as a QB to work with for a couple years.

here's to hoping our #8 overall franchise QB can lead us deep into the playoffs in his 7th season.

Actually it was noted on radio a few days ago that people mistakenly think that Tannehill and one ACL and a re-injury. The first ACL healed and then he got a second tear. By all accounts he had two torn ACLs. We can argue to no end if a surgery would have made it stronger or not but he went through all the tests and the initial ACL was deemed as healed.

That Tannehill is the starter next year is pretty clear. No matter where one stands his contract alone makes him the starter. The questions are:
a) will he mentally absorb the fact that his ACL ruptured twice and the last time with no contact. As a mobile QB if you hesitate or change your mobility in any way it would take away from your ability to successfully lead an offense
b) we don't know how Tannehill's ACL will hold up. One wrong step. Get hung up in the turf. One wrong turn. One turn to sharp. Having had two tears will probably leave the ACL weakened. Unfortunately none of us has the inside and knows what it looks like in his knees.

A torn ligament will never heal on it's own back to 100%. Best case scenario is usually 60-70%. It was a full tear of an already partially torn ligament, not a healed ACL then another torn ACL. I don't know who was on the radio, but they were more than likely being fed incorrect information or just speculating. But to act like the ligament was as good as it was before the injury is just plain wrong.

I can't argue with your "a" point, but confidence will come with time. That'll be worked out in TC and preseason I'm sure.

As for your "b" point, it seems like you might not fully understand what goes into ACL reconstruction. When the ACL is reconstructed, it's completely replaced and anchored with screws into the bone. It's usually replaced with a hamstring tendon, patellar tendon, or a cadaver ligament. The original ACL is not re-used. Yes, if the new ACL is torn, that will leave it weakened, as with any other ligament tear. The number of tears has nothing to do with the strength or weakness of subsequent replacement ligaments, as long as the mcl, pcl, and lcl are intact and stabilizing muscles haven't suffered injury. Scar tissue might be a problem, but doesn't contribute to re-injury. Just inflammation and fluid retention.

more yards per game, better TD%, better INT%, better TD/INT ratio, higher QB rating. So, yes.
Do the Ravens still win that championship in '13 with Tannehill at QB. My guess is no. Flacco hasn't had no where near the talent Ryan had on offense ever in his career. Defense, is anyother arguement however.

Ryan puts up stats...most of the time when the game is already decided in which those stats don't really matter/count.

Who has better stats?
Who has more clutch moments?
Who has more playoff success?

You should not have asked the first question if you wanted to make the case that Flacco is better than Tannehill. Statistically, Flacco has been bad or downright dreadful the past few seasons. And it started BEFORE he tore his ACL, thank you very much.

2015: 14 TD 12INT 6.8 Y/A
2016: 20TD 15INT 6.4 Y/A
2017: 18TD 13INT 5.7 Y/A

I don't think I even need to post Ryan Tannehill's statistics, as we've argued them to death already, and we all know he's been more productive than that in the last three years that he played.

Normally I'd argue that it's not all on Flacco, but since we're arguing this using YOUR criteria, I don't feel compelled to make any kind of reasonable arguments here. Rather, I'll just let the numbers of the Ravens' pass offense since 2015 speak for themselves.

---

As for clutch moments, I don't know how you would define that. If you want to use 4th quarter comebacks, Flacco has 19 of those in 154 games (12%) and Ryan Tannehill has 12 in 77 games (16%). I don't know what other criteria you want to use.

---

If you want to use playoff success? The answer is Flacco. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as their starting quarterback, and he played very well in the post-season. That's definitely the best argument for Joe Flacco. He was Great with a capital G in the 2012 post-season.

Really, I don't like or dislike Joe Flacco. I just post this because it's so easy to show how lazy and bad your argument is. The fact that you just throw this stuff out there without bothering to actually look up the things that can be looked up is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom