General NCAA thread | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

General NCAA thread

Here's my point, and what that ESPN article didn't bother to tell you...

The ACC is 4-1 this year against the SEC East. They have wins over Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia. Congratulations.

Those 4 SEC East teams that the ACC beat are 2-6 this year against the SEC West. Georgia earned both of those wins.

Ole Miss and Miss. St. are pretty good at football too. Especially this year. They've taken up the slack for Florida and Tennessee being down programs right now despite being in a different division.

The strength of the conference is in the Western division. But even everybody else in the SEC is a little better than everybody else in other conferences. That's the point.

The ACC has already lost to East Carolina twice, Notre Dame twice, Colorado St., Nebraska, Iowa, Akron, Maryland, UCLA, BYU, UL-Monroe, and Utah St.

It only appears as if everyone else doesn't matter if you're not paying attention. When you stack 'em up against what the peach fuzz of the other conferences are doing, the separation is what it is. The rest of the country is long fatigued by it. But it still doesn't change.

And the SEC as a whole is 5-5 against the other power 5 conferences and the 2 Mississippis , Texas A&M, and Vandy didn't even bother to schedule a power 5 game this season. Again this circles back to my original statement. The SEC isn't as far above the other power 5 conferences as alot of their fans want to believe, especially this season. Is Alabama better than all the other teams? Maybe but the playoff will decide that. But don't pretend the the rest of the SEC is this dominante force that rules all the other conferences with an iron fist. There have been seasons where that has been the case but, over the past few it has not.

And the SEC as a whole is 5-5 against the other power 5 conferences and the 2 Mississippis , Texas A&M, and Vandy didn't even bother to schedule a power 5 game this season. Again this circles back to my original statement. The SEC isn't as far above the other power 5 conferences as alot of their fans want to believe, especially this season. Is Alabama better than all the other teams? Maybe but the playoff will decide that. But don't pretend the the rest of the SEC is this dominante force that rules all the other conferences with an iron fist. There have been seasons where that has been the case but, over the past few it has not.

We can go back to your original statement and repeat it as much as we like, but the results say otherwise. We can pick this year, last year, or any year in the past decade or so. We can use bowl games, national title games, OOC matchups, or any variable we choose. The results aren't going to support your original statement. The SEC has dominated the other conferences.

The SEC may be 5-5 this year against other power 5 conferences, because the SEC East is 1-5. Specifically, the bottom and worst teams of the SEC East vs. the top teams and champions of other conferences.... and the games are still close.

The SEC West is undefeated (4-0) this season against other power 5 conferences. The very bottom of the SEC has already beaten the potential champions of some of these other power 5 conferences.

I'm sitting here reading ESPN articles about how the ACC is thumping it's chest over scraping by the bottom of the barrel in the SEC East. The top teams in the ACC have won at home in a few of these in-state rivalry games against what amounts at the most, the 4th best team in the SEC in Georgia. Kentucky, Florida, and South Carolina are teams that the SEC West has had their backups and 3rd stringers in by halftime.

Like I said, the ACC's message to the SEC only made it as far west as Athens.

There were only 3. Fitz with a fluke 6. Luck and Brees both had 5. Next closest was McCoy & Rivers with 3 and the rest had only 2 or less. You should stick to amateur ball and I'll stay with the NFL.

Just one more thing before I go: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitGe00.htm

Yeah I said it seems like there were a half a dozen. In other words, that's what it felt like. It's not a literal term, but a key word to let you know how bad the defenses in the NFL are.

Speaking of bad defenses and amateur ball, I'm sure you enjoyed that defensive clinic Miami put on last night against the Jets while Shula was drooling on his Samsung.

That ESPN article was pretty weak. If the ACC sent a message to the SEC East.... the West didn't get it. The SEC West as a whole has only lost 4 games to teams besides other SEC West teams this year, and all 4 of those losses were to the two best teams in the SEC East (Missouri and Georgia). All 4 of those losses were by Arkansas, Auburn, and Texas A&M.

LSU is the worst team in the SEC West and they've already beaten Wisconsin... who's 60 minutes of football away from being the Big-Ten Champion.

Auburn went on the road and beat Kansas St.

There's really no need to even mention all of the other Conference Champions from non-BCS conferences that the SEC has already throttled this season in games that ended up not being close. Including a ranked Boise St.

The SEC West is 38-4 this season against teams not in the SEC West. 34-0 against teams from any other conference.

Whenever one of you get ready to bet some money on one of your suspicions against Alabama once this playoff begins, make sure to let me know. We can do it through the donation feature on this site. We'll do a $50 minimum/$250 maximum bet. Make it light on yourself.
There is no mistaking that the SEC West is the best division in college football this year. There is little doubt in my mind that the SEC is the best conference overall. Where you and I diverge is that there is some massive difference between the best teams in each conference or some massive difference between the conferences top-to-bottom. There is not a crap ton of difference in the teams in the top 5 or so this year and there isn't a ton of difference in the conferences if you look at the whole thing. I can say that almost all of the strength of schedule for the SEC West is derived from other SEC West schools because their out-of-conference schedules are mostly a joke. At least Bama played WV and Auburn played K-State but still very weak overall. Edit...LSU beat Wisconsin, solid win.

Assuming they play, I'll wager with you that FSU beats Bama, straight up. I don't bet money but humiliation and bragging rights are definitely in bounds. I am confident despite FSU playing like crap lately. When healthy and focused, they can beat anyone.

Just out of curiosity, how are all of the nay-sayers going to react if Winston is found innocent by the independent "judge" today? Will they apologize to him and the FSU PD for all of the horrid accusations? I am quite interested in hearing a supposedly objective evaluation of the evidence. I suppose I also have to consider how I'm going to react if he is expelled. Very interesting.

two names linked with Florida; Jim McEllwain and Josh McDaniels

It's McElwain.

lucillebuthexcited-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time I have seen Mariotta play and although it's early, I am not to impressed with him. Tremendous athlete that can throw a strike but then throw several in a row that are not even close to the target. Certainly the talk about Chip Kelly wanting to move up is nothing more than hooey.

This is the first time I have seen Mariotta play and although it's early, I am not to impressed with him. Tremendous athlete that can throw a strike but then throw several in a row that are not even close to the target. Certainly the talk about Chip Kelly wanting to move up is nothing more than hooey.

Yeah I just watched him throw an illegal forward pass. I mean he was 2 yards past the LOS. Not even close.

How many balls are Alabama's DBs gonna let fly straight over their heads? Their deep ball coverage is atrocious.

Back
Top Bottom