Geno Smith and pocket awareness

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by rev kev, Sep 22, 2013.

1. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

The dude has none - and the Jets should be looking to draft another QB in the first round next year. :lol: I thought Geno's body of work in the NCAA was quite impressive, and would translate to the NFL but watching him against TB and NE the dude is so laid back when it comes to the rush, he has no feel for that pocket... :idk: I was really shocked beacuse he has the intangibles to move around.

I don't think Geno has seen the best of a top NFL rush yet, and when he does it is gonna get ugly, like butt ugly (no pun intended Mark!)

Cheers to the Jests!!

2. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

3. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Congrats, your dumpster fire beat the other dumpster fire today.

I look forward to seeing junc's scathing rebuttal tomorrow morning during regular business hours.

4. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Winning or losing today has nothing to do with my original post...

You can't come to a conclusion about a guy 3 games into his career. Especially after 2 of those games have been pretty solid.

5. J. David Wannyheimer

He stunk in 2 of 3 games. Did not see today's game, can't comment.

6. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Hooray, he beat a slightly more ****ty team!

7. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

I haven't watched the game yet but watching the highlights I see the same things. Poor pocket presence and bad footwork. These are things that can be corrected with work but again, I question whether or not he'll put in the time or effort to work on it.

8. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

They are talking playoffs on ganggreen!

9. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

You should probably watch the games. He hasn't stunk...

10. -=DolfanDave=-

-=DolfanDave=- A True Fan

according to what Jests fan are used to at the QB position, Geno is marvelous

11. J. David Wannyheimer

He was bad overall in the Bucs game, the team was gifted a victory. He was godawful in the Patriots game. Don't even pretend that he wasn't. That 4th quarter was some of the worst football I've ever seen in my life.

12. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

He was not bad overall against the Bucs.

Since when is 24-38 for 256 yards 1 TD and 1 pick bad overall?

13. MadDog 88

He did enough to be decent but if you can look at him and not be concerned with his pocket awareness, footwork and accuracy, then you don't know what your seeing.

14. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

All stuff that can be worked on. Every QB has things they need to improve on 3 games into their career.

At 2-1 and watching Geno play i've seen plenty of bad but plenty of good as well. And for a rookie QB, I will take it.

15. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Geno is second in INTs next to Eli Manning.

16. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He's much better than sanchez...at least you dont have to hold your breath each time he drops back to pass.

It will be fun seeing what he's made of the next several games.

17. MadDog 88

Agreed but the question is whether or not he has the discipline and focus to put in the work required.

18. Jared

Jared Active Member

The kid is still a rookie. It is way too early to make sweeping pronouncements. When Peyton was a rookie, he led the league in interceptions. When Brady was a rookie, he was fourth string (who here can name the Pats 3rd string qb in 2000?).

Both EJ and Geno have the physical tools to succeed. Getting used to the speed of the pro game and getting on the same page as everyone else takes time. In many ways I cut them the same slack I cut the Pats wrs.

19. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Agreed.

Fact that he is better then Sanchez is huge. Even if Geno is the 21st or 22nd best QB in the league our team will be better by a large margin. We've had one of the bottom 3 QB's in the league for a long time. Geno just being decent makes us a lot better as a team. Biggest thing is he needs to stop turning the ball over.

20. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Of course. But until I see a reason to doubt that he wont do that i'm not expecting him not to work just as hard as every other QB in the league to get better. I don't question anyones work ethic until they give me a reason to.

21. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

He's doing good for a rookie imo. I can't wait until we play the Jets though. I want our D to just tee off on them. Blitz Blitz Blitz!

22. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

The question is pocket awareness I said nothing about the INTs -> I would prefer him over Sanchez myself if i were a Jests fan. The pocket awareness issue is huge and will be more pronounced when he plays top 10 Defenses which I would say he hasn't yet.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

For the record I take Manuel over Geno myself

23. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

So because YOU think he has no pocket awareness your ready to write off his career 3 games in? 2 of which have been successful...

24. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

:lol2: :rotfl1:

25. Ilovemyfins4eva

Ilovemyfins4eva A True Fan Donator

thats funny.

dont get me wrong, the jets have looked a lot better than i thought they would, as much as it pains me to say that as a fins fan.

geno smith despite his stats not looking good, watching him play, he deff is an upgrade over sanchez imo and who knows what he will be. there defense has looked good, and they actually have a pass rush for the 1st time in years.

With that being said, this is nowhere near a playoff team. Geno still is going to go through growing pains, they still have ZERO running game, o line is suspect, wrs are not consistent, and they r still struggling to put up pts.

17 vs the bucs, 10 vs the pats, and yesterday they had a nice offensive game.

the schedule for them coming up is going to bring out there true colors. there next 6-

WEEK 4- AT TEN
    WEEK 5- AT ATL
    WEEK 6 -VS PIT
    WEEK 7-VS NE
    WEEK 8- AT CIN
    WEEK 9- VS NO

If the jets go 3-3 in those games, u guys can start talking playoffs. i expect 2-4 at best, more likely 1-5, would not be ''SHOCKED'' 0-6.

You guys go 3-3 in those games, you guys are 5-4, with a remaining schedule of-

at buf, at balt, vs mia, vs oak, at car, vs cle, at mia. still not easy by any means, because the jets are not going to blowout even the bottom tier teams, but if they got by the next 6 games with 3-3 or better, it would not be fair to rule them out vs any other teams.

long way to go jet fans, your team maybe better than the giants, but you need to be better than the fins and pats, which u r nowhere near as of now ( healthy pats team that is)

26. J. David Wannyheimer

They beat the Bucs and Bills. Good for them, that makes it more likely the Ryan circus stays in town and hurts their draft position. They won't get to beat up on 2 of the 4 or so worst franchises in the NFL every week.

They only get 1 more game vs the Bills.

27. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Rex is 36-31 in his career as Jets head coach. Everyone wants him to stick around. Only decision that matters though is the GM's. It would be a mistake to let him go IMO.

28. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Pocket Awareness no one said he can't play QB in the NFL

We'll see whether he has pocket awareness - can this be taught remains to be seen - looks like they and the Bills will win just enough for them to draft another stud DT. Which is fine by me

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  29. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Dolphin fans certainly want Rex to stick around :up:

30. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Geno was a big time passer in college and I have had little doubt that he is going to be able to make a lot of plays in this league. I just think his ceiling is going to be that of a player who doesn't eliminate all the mistakes and doesn't have the awareness to sustain not just good, but great play. But he can beat people, and if the Jets can play good defense, they can win games if they don't beat themselves on offense.

I think he'll be better than Manuel, but I'm entirely unsold on Manuel. It's a shame, because I'd much rather a blue collar city like Buffalo be the ones helping us unseat NE than New Jersey.

31. MadDog 88

I'm not sure what I am missing with Geno Smith because I see a guy without a very high ceiling. He makes some nice throws but so did a lot of QBs that don't make it in the NFL. It surprises me that at this level he throws so much off his back foot and is often unbalanced in his delivery. His awareness is horrible, he holds the ball way to long and at times looks like he is shotputing the football downfield.

Questions surround his work ethic as well. You only need to research his interview process to see the warning flags. His handling of his decline in draft position is another indicator of his over valuing his ability. He's an upgrade to Sanchez but is more likely to waste 2-3 years of the Jets time.

Could he develop into a decent QB? Sure. But in my opinion your looking at a guy that is no better then Terrele Pryor and has a limited ceiling.

32. J. David Wannyheimer

Pretty much. To be honest, I kinda think Geno's ceiling is lower than Mark Sanchez's. When Sanchez is hot, he is pretty good.

With Geno, what I see is a guy with very questionable decision making and a lot of bad throws who isn't really a dynamic player at all. It's funny that you point out Pryor because I agree, he's a far more intriguing QB, and I was thinking that tonight watching the game.

My big question with Geno is, what exactly does he bring to the table? He can make some nice throws? Just about every NFL QB, including Blaine ****ing Gabbert, can make some nice throws.

33. JETSJETSJETS

JETSJETSJETS Well-Known Member

This coming from a Dolfan? Seriously?

Since the Jay Fiedler years, you guys have had AJ Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfel, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Daunte Culpepper, Pat White, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, and finally RT. That is a pretty pathetic portfolio with maybe a couple of decent guys, namely the Jets trash.

34. MadDog 88

I view him as an upgrade only because Sanchez has lost his confidence in himself and that is not an issue with Smith. Sanchez has shown that he is capable of functioning as a game manager. Once the confidence was gone the foolish turnovers increased ten fold. Sanchez was ata point where he was far more damaging then beneficial to the Jets. Geno hasn't had that much time to prove whether or not the same holds true for him.

35. MadDog 88

And what exactly have the Jets had? Pennington was nice but he never went deep in the playoffs. Sanchez was a game manager that has eroded over the last 2 seasons. You had a healthy Favre for 9 games but couldn't make the playoffs with him. Amazing you'd call out that post when neither team has had much to brag about this century.

36. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I believe you missed a few...our QB situation has been bottom of the barrel. Right now RT17 is restoring hope. I dont get the same feeling watching Geno as I did with RT last year.

37. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Bottom 3 QB? How can you say that when Junctions feels the complete opposite?

38. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Generally decent rookie showing by Geno... and quantum leaps above the shell that's best known for propelling his head into his beloved lineman's butt.

However, before anyone gets too carried away, as a poster on BuffaloRange pointed out, due to existing and game injuries, much of the defensive backfield defending against him were 2nd stringers -with no Byrd, McKelvin (out early 1st half) , Gilmore, or Brooks (FWIW the explosive Spiller left early in the 2nd half also). So it's probably prudent for objective yet hopeful jestfans to temper their enthusiasm with the reality that Geno was throwing against mostly replacements in the defensive backfield.

Also in perspective: beyond that, realistically how many decent opponents are gonna come out on the short end when playing teams that commit 20 penalties/168yards?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  39. MadDog 88

I'm sure you realize that with the big win over the Bills, TGG believes they are in position to make a playoff run. :lol:

40. J. David Wannyheimer

I will be watching the Buffalo game this week.

All I can say is, watch the games. Geno got one touchdown early vs the Bucs on a totally blown coverage where there was nobody within twenty yards of his receiver, and otherwise looked like crap. Sure it's his first start, but he still looked like crap.

The big thing with Geno is, I really just don't think he has a particularly good arm. That would be my biggest concern with him -- he can get better at reading defenses and I'm sure that with experience he will get better at feeling the pocket -- but he isn't going to throw anyone open. In that Patriots game, he had some throws where he made the right read and still got picked because he served up a duck. I can't believe I still see comments on Gang Green like "he has a live arm." Mark Sanchez has a much better arm than Geno Smith, IMO.