Geno Smith and pocket awareness | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Geno Smith and pocket awareness

All stuff that can be worked on. Every QB has things they need to improve on 3 games into their career.

At 2-1 and watching Geno play i've seen plenty of bad but plenty of good as well. And for a rookie QB, I will take it.

He's much better than sanchez...at least you dont have to hold your breath each time he drops back to pass.

It will be fun seeing what he's made of the next several games.

All stuff that can be worked on. Every QB has things they need to improve on 3 games into their career.

At 2-1 and watching Geno play i've seen plenty of bad but plenty of good as well. And for a rookie QB, I will take it.

Agreed but the question is whether or not he has the discipline and focus to put in the work required.

The kid is still a rookie. It is way too early to make sweeping pronouncements. When Peyton was a rookie, he led the league in interceptions. When Brady was a rookie, he was fourth string (who here can name the Pats 3rd string qb in 2000?).

Both EJ and Geno have the physical tools to succeed. Getting used to the speed of the pro game and getting on the same page as everyone else takes time. In many ways I cut them the same slack I cut the Pats wrs.

He's much better than sanchez...at least you dont have to hold your breath each time he drops back to pass.

It will be fun seeing what he's made of the next several games.

Agreed.

Fact that he is better then Sanchez is huge. Even if Geno is the 21st or 22nd best QB in the league our team will be better by a large margin. We've had one of the bottom 3 QB's in the league for a long time. Geno just being decent makes us a lot better as a team. Biggest thing is he needs to stop turning the ball over.

Agreed but the question is whether or not he has the discipline and focus to put in the work required.

Of course. But until I see a reason to doubt that he wont do that i'm not expecting him not to work just as hard as every other QB in the league to get better. I don't question anyones work ethic until they give me a reason to.

The question is pocket awareness I said nothing about the INTs -> I would prefer him over Sanchez myself if i were a Jests fan. The pocket awareness issue is huge and will be more pronounced when he plays top 10 Defenses which I would say he hasn't yet.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

For the record I take Manuel over Geno myself

The question is pocket awareness I said nothing about the INTs -> I would prefer him over Sanchez myself if i were a Jests fan. The pocket awareness issue is huge and will be more pronounced when he plays top 10 Defenses which I would say he hasn't yet.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

For the record I take Manuel over Geno myself

So because YOU think he has no pocket awareness your ready to write off his career 3 games in? 2 of which have been successful...

They are talking playoffs on ganggreen!
thats funny.

dont get me wrong, the jets have looked a lot better than i thought they would, as much as it pains me to say that as a fins fan.

geno smith despite his stats not looking good, watching him play, he deff is an upgrade over sanchez imo and who knows what he will be. there defense has looked good, and they actually have a pass rush for the 1st time in years.

With that being said, this is nowhere near a playoff team. Geno still is going to go through growing pains, they still have ZERO running game, o line is suspect, wrs are not consistent, and they r still struggling to put up pts.

17 vs the bucs, 10 vs the pats, and yesterday they had a nice offensive game.

the schedule for them coming up is going to bring out there true colors. there next 6-

WEEK 4- AT TEN
WEEK 5- AT ATL
WEEK 6 -VS PIT
WEEK 7-VS NE
WEEK 8- AT CIN
WEEK 9- VS NO

If the jets go 3-3 in those games, u guys can start talking playoffs. i expect 2-4 at best, more likely 1-5, would not be ''SHOCKED'' 0-6.

You guys go 3-3 in those games, you guys are 5-4, with a remaining schedule of-

at buf, at balt, vs mia, vs oak, at car, vs cle, at mia. still not easy by any means, because the jets are not going to blowout even the bottom tier teams, but if they got by the next 6 games with 3-3 or better, it would not be fair to rule them out vs any other teams.

long way to go jet fans, your team maybe better than the giants, but you need to be better than the fins and pats, which u r nowhere near as of now ( healthy pats team that is)

They beat the Bucs and Bills. Good for them, that makes it more likely the Ryan circus stays in town and hurts their draft position. They won't get to beat up on 2 of the 4 or so worst franchises in the NFL every week.

They only get 1 more game vs the Bills.

They beat the Bucs and Bills. Good for them, that makes it more likely the Ryan circus stays in town and hurts their draft position. They won't get to beat up on 2 of the 4 or so worst franchises in the NFL every week.

They only get 1 more game vs the Bills.

Rex is 36-31 in his career as Jets head coach. Everyone wants him to stick around. Only decision that matters though is the GM's. It would be a mistake to let him go IMO.

Pocket Awareness no one said he can't play QB in the NFL

We'll see whether he has pocket awareness - can this be taught remains to be seen - looks like they and the Bills will win just enough for them to draft another stud DT. Which is fine by me

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex is 36-31 in his career as Jets head coach. Everyone wants him to stick around. Only decision that matters though is the GM's. It would be a mistake to let him go IMO.

Dolphin fans certainly want Rex to stick around :up:

Geno was a big time passer in college and I have had little doubt that he is going to be able to make a lot of plays in this league. I just think his ceiling is going to be that of a player who doesn't eliminate all the mistakes and doesn't have the awareness to sustain not just good, but great play. But he can beat people, and if the Jets can play good defense, they can win games if they don't beat themselves on offense.

I think he'll be better than Manuel, but I'm entirely unsold on Manuel. It's a shame, because I'd much rather a blue collar city like Buffalo be the ones helping us unseat NE than New Jersey.

Back
Top Bottom