Ginn's & Beck's Big Hands | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ginn's & Beck's Big Hands

I was curious about the topic Beck/Henne being short at 6'2", and so I went on NFL.com and gathered a list of the heights of the Hall of Fame QB's who played in the 80's or later (NFL players have gotten bigger as the years have gone by, so didn't want older players on the list), and also included current QB's who I'd say have a good chance of going to the Hall of Fame....here is what I found:

Joe Montana 6'2" Brett Favre 6'2" Steve Young 6'2" John Elway 6'3" Terry Bradshaw 6'3" Warren Moon 6'3" Jim Kelly 6'3" Dan Fouts 6'3" Dan Marino 6'4" Tom Brady 6'4" Troy Aikman 6'4" Peyton Manning 6'5"
Average Height = 6'3"

I think Beck and Henne will be ok, as long as they can be a little mobile. One trend, I see is that the most classic drop-back QB's on this list (Aikman, Marino, Manning, Brady) are also the tallest on the list, while the shortest ones, Young, Montana, Favre, were very mobile QB's (Favre and Montana were very mobile in their earlier years for those that don't remember).

Of course we are talking a difference of one and two inches here. Like Warren Moon was a definite drop-back QB and he is listed as 6'3", I mean how big a difference doest that extra inch really make...anyhow, just thought I'd share. They don't list hand size on Nfl.com unfortunately (ha)...

I think wingspan actually might be a better indicator. Some guys may be tall, but they suffer from T. Rex syndrome and even at 6'6" will get their passes snuffed out at the line, whereas a 5'11" guy who is long can avoid the fray. Many think it is so they can see over the line which is a common misconception. Passing lanes provide visibility even for the shorter guys in the NFL.

However height is commonly accompanied by wingspan. So if you go after the taller QB's you usually have a guy who can avoid having his passes batted down. Again this is not always the case, and it is rather comical to see a NBA sized QB get swatted due to his T. REX arms.

How was Beck at BYU? THAT is the fair comparison. I don't recall Beck having the problem during preseason either.
He had the problem for 2 games. I think Beck, being the conscientious guy that he is probably placed too much pressure on himself to carry this team after the season had slipped away. I believe he was a little tight in those games and has NOTHING to do with the size of his hands or in any way,indicative of a fumbling problem.
I didn't realize that a rookie's career could be prognosticated simply on the basis of 2-3 games. :rolleyes2:
I am not saying beck is a bum or anything but when you have 7 fumbles 5 lost in 5 game you have a fumbling problem. end of conversation. now can that improve yes it can. but lets put this in perspective for you
first year starters
Garrard 12 games 3 fumbles 2 lost
Shaub 11 7 3
Anderson16 5 2
Lemon 9 7 3
Jackson 12 5 3
Edwards 10 4 0
Croyle 9 4 3
Beck 5 7 5

So Beck in half as many starts as any of the guys in thier first year of playing more then a game or two had as many fumbles as guys that played double what he did. Also, say you project and just double his games at his pace he would have been anywhere from 10 to 15. And do you know him personally to know that he was tight in those games. he would have no reason for that we had ZERO wins not like we were fighting for the playoffs and he had to perform or something.

Now like i said can he fix it? yes he can. I am not rooting for any individual in the competition. The thread was about hand size mattering in terms of controlling the football and i was simply proving it doesnt matter in terms of fumbling at all. :beer1:

I think some people are over reacting about beck and henne. i hope both play very well so we have quality qbs on this team instead of the garbage we have had in the past. no matter what you need 2 good qbs on your team now days.

and now lets finish it by sayin henne never had a fumbling problem at michigan while beck was worse then c pep last year, so what does this mean ....NOTHING

Sorry but you are a little wrong, Henne has the problem, too.

He completed 828-of-1,387 passes (59.7%) for 9,715 yards, 87 touchdowns and 37 interceptions. Of his pass completions, 118 were for at least 20 yards, but he also had 159 of his pass attempts deflected by the opposition (196 passes defended total). He rushed 180 times for losses of 315 yards (minus-1.8-yard average) and three scores. He posted five solo tackles and participated in 1,567 offensive plays, amassing 9,400 yards in total offense. The Michigan passer turned the ball over eight times on 20 fumbles and was sacked 89 times for losses totaling 588 yards.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/chad-henne?id=252

A little bit info

After making Michigan lineman Jake Long the No. 1 overall draft choice last week, Dolphins executive vice president Bill Parcells reflected on a previous time his team had the top choice, the Patriots in 1993, and set the record straight. "We were deciding between Rick Mirer and Drew Bledsoe and there has since been some publicity over the years that I wanted Rick Mirer," Parcells said. "That is incorrect. One of the main considerations was that Drew was three years younger to start with. We were projecting where he would be at 23 years old, as opposed to Mirer at 26. I think history shows we made the right choice."

I see your point. So you feel they are taking the same approach in regards to Beck 26 going on 27 and young 23 Henne?

I am not saying beck is a bum or anything but when you have 7 fumbles 5 lost in 5 game you have a fumbling problem. end of conversation. now can that improve yes it can. but lets put this in perspective for you
first year starters
Garrard 12 games 3 fumbles 2 lost
Shaub 11 7 3
Anderson16 5 2
Lemon 9 7 3
Jackson 12 5 3
Edwards 10 4 0
Croyle 9 4 3
Beck 5 7 5

So Beck in half as many starts as any of the guys in thier first year of playing more then a game or two had as many fumbles as guys that played double what he did. Also, say you project and just double his games at his pace he would have been anywhere from 10 to 15. And do you know him personally to know that he was tight in those games. he would have no reason for that we had ZERO wins not like we were fighting for the playoffs and he had to perform or something.

Now like i said can he fix it? yes he can. I am not rooting for any individual in the competition. The thread was about hand size mattering in terms of controlling the football and i was simply proving it doesnt matter in terms of fumbling at all. :beer1:

Sorry, don't agree. 2-3 bad games does not a trend make, especially when playing for the mosty dysfunctional franchise in the league last season. Show his fumbling stats in college and compare them to Henne's. Because that's what you attempted to do in your initial post (compare the 2 QBs')

Back
Top Bottom