Grading the AFCE draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading the AFCE draft

FinfanInBuffalo said:
At a minimum the Bills could have dropped to Philly's spot, still gotten Whitner and a second round pick. The trade up for McCargo could still have happened. They would have had another good player.

Nobody will ever know of the Giants would have taken McCargo or not. It's all pure speculation. The only thing that we know for sure is that Buffalo could have drafted 4 players instead of 2.
Not, Detroit was also rumored to be interested in Whitner. The fins we also interested, who's to say Saban wouldn't have moved up to get him?

Thing is, MArv got the players he wanted and got the so called value that we lost in reaching when we grabbed Youboty and Ko Simpson. Whether they turn out to be good or not remains to be seen. Just like Miami's draft.

Justasportsfan said:
All I'm saying is that we wait and see how this draft turns out. You don't get to see the picture after a year or 2.

Why were you unwilling to take that position in 2003 and 2004?

They were worried that Detriot was going to take him, they needed a safety. Who did they take ini teh 2nd round? A safety.

Whats so wrong with taking a player that fits a very specific need. Whitner is was said to be the best Pure safety in the draft very fast which is perfect for the cover 2 defense. The bills did not want to go into the new season with a Coy Wire and a Matt Bowen as there starting SS.

So lets say we agree with you for sake of argument they were reaches, Whitner and McCargo. Youboty and Simpson would be two huge steals right? So I will take a "C" grade, even though grading a draft the day after is crazy.

I also like how a lot of Miami fans (not you specifically) wanted Whitner but when they picked Allen, Allen is now a far superior player then Whitner. :rolleyes:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Eddie Moore, Vernon Carey

Buffalo basically did exactly what you criticized Miami for 1) drafted a player too high 2) gave up a draft pick because they were locked on to a single player and got scared he would be gone.

This is exactly the same as the Moore and Carey picks, but now its suddenly good strategy......
You cannot deny that Eddie Moore was a reach and it's been proven to be a bad pick. After 2 years, we know that is a fact. I wasn't the only one who thought he was a reach and a bad pick. Your fellow finfans blasted that pick more than I did.

Unlike you I didn't consider Carey then a bad pick but a reach.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Why were you unwilling to take that position in 2003 and 2004?
what? Shopw me were I didn't take that stance with Carey. It didn't take a genius to see that Moore was bad. Unlike Whitner and McCargo Eddie didn't have much of an upside. Moore would've probably gone undrafted in this years draft.

FFIB, gotta get back to work. It was a better discussion than what we've had in the past :up:

Peace.

BillsCA said:
They were worried that Detriot was going to take him, they needed a safety. Who did they take ini teh 2nd round? A safety.

Whats so wrong with taking a player that fits a very specific need. Whitner is was said to be the best Pure safety in the draft very fast which is perfect for the cover 2 defense. The bills did not want to go into the new season with a Coy Wire and a Matt Bowen as there starting SS.

So lets say we agree with you for sake of argument they were reaches, Whitner and McCargo. Youboty and Simpson would be two huge steals right? So I will take a "C" grade, even though grading a draft the day after is crazy.

I also like how a lot of Miami fans (not you specifically) wanted Whitner but when they picked Allen, Allen is now a far superior player then Whitner. :rolleyes:
Becasue Allen was the best pur free sfaety hands down.. Whitner is also a good safety but does not possess more pure talent than allen.. If it was not for the hip injury allen had last year, which is fine now, he would have been a top ten pick.. Whitner was never ever talked about as a top 10 pick..

I never heard of Whitner before Kiper said we would get him.

Winbaby#23 said:
Becasue Allen was the best pur free sfaety hands down.. Whitner is also a good safety but does not possess more pure talent than allen.. If it was not for the hip injury allen had last year, which is fine now, he would have been a top ten pick.. Whitner was never ever talked about as a top 10 pick..

First Whitner is a SS second I have seen plenty of "grades" where Ko Simpson is a higher rated FS then Allen.

Ace88 said:
1. Jets

2. Pats(drafting that noname kicker in the 4th almost made me put them under us)

3. Phins

4. Bills(they are the laughing stock of the draft by many places and they know it too)

Its a little early to rate so I dont want to dump on the fins but how do you call the bills draft a laughing stock?

This was an excellent draft by the bills...they got the best safety in the draft (trading down was a risk) McCargo was on several draft boards to go in the first round..he would not have been there at our 2nd round pick and we needed a DT badly.....then you have Yobuty and Ko Simpson...both rated 1st to 2nd round picks...

You have to look at the draft as a whole not just the first 2 picks....if the bills walk away from this draft with:

Whitner and Simpson starting at safety
Yobuty replacing Clements next year
McCargo replacing Pat Williams loss (we were hurt badly by that)
and dont forget about Kyle Williams....who I consider to be a steal That is 4 starters out of a draft.....it wont matter if they reached.

MillerTime said:
heres how I would rank them

1. Jets
2. Patriots
3. Bills
4. Dolphins

You are way off my friend. It will be
1. Patriots 13-3
2. Dolphins 11-5
3. Bills 9-7
4. Jets 6-10

bigben7sucks said:
You are way off my friend. It will be
1. Patriots 13-3
2. Dolphins 11-5
3. Bills 9-7
4. Jets 6-10

Pay attention, he was ranking the draft, not the standings for next season.

Winbaby#23 said:

That is incorrect....I buy just about every draft rag that comes out (wife hates it but I cant help myself)

- Whitner was number one or number 2 on almost every one......

PS. Ko Simpson was not far behind.

Back
Top Bottom