Grading the AFCE draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading the AFCE draft

I will play Homer and rank them..

1) Jets - Filled the big needs
2) Pats - Got surprising hidden value (nothing new there)
3) Phins - Picked up good editions
4) Bills - Not so good.

BZ

This is how I would rate the drafts in our division only:

Jets
Pats
Phins
Bills

I would love to say we had the best draft, but we didn't have enough high picks. Typically the last place team should have the best draft and they did as did the Dolphins in 2005.

Wagon Circler said:
Maybe in a perfect world. it takes two teams to trade down. .

You're kidding right? Several teams were interested. Several teams traded up to spots just after the Bills picked. They clearly had opportunities to trade down.

Look, here is the reality. The "experts" are not always right, and we as fans always think we are right and tend to over-rate based on homerism. I'll be the first guy to tell you I have have zero idea how our picks will turn out.

Check out this thread for a funny example of homer-glasses. Not saying they are the only fans that do this, just that it is a hilarious example.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=98431

More prop VIDEO of Laurence Maroney!!

More, more, more!!!

:D

me likey....

Dirtywater said:
Who cares about reaching. If you guys valued him at that pick, then take him. We did the same thing last year with mankins, he played great for us, so who cares if we reached a bit... we got our guy as did Buffalo.
Colts reached for Dwight Freeney..............Patriots reached for Richard Seymour...

In the end, I'll take the right players even if they are reaches as long as they help the team win. What good is drafting players of value that don't end up helping the team. Mike Williams is a perfect example. The experts praised us for drafting him. In the end , their opinions were wrong and we were wrong in drafting him.

Value means nothing especially when you use the Pats' first sb win as an example. I mean back then Brady was a nobody and Antoine Smith? Drew Blesoe was a bigger name than Brady.

In their last sb win, they practically used rookies in the playoffs and still won.

C is where the bills draft should be. In time it could turn into an A+ or an F.

One things for sure, our secondary isn't gonna get burned by a back up like Sage to overcome a 21 pt. ,4th qtr lead. Yeah ,I'm sure you finfans remember that. Now that's it's addressed ,we still had the worst draft in the AFCE? Maybe in a teal and orange world.

In time we shall see. Lockdown the wr's and give our DL time to get to Culpepper and then sack him for a loss and fumble. Looking forward to that.

In terms of player value, maybe we didn't do well. But if these players help the team win, their value would be bigger than where they were drafted.

Wagon Circler said:
Maybe in a perfect world. it takes two teams to trade down.

I also had a dream draft scenario...we took Brick. That didn't happen.

You can bash our draft all you want, but as a bills fan I can honestly say I was quite pleased with the draft and that's all that matters.
typical Bills fan, satisfied with reaching. your team doesn't get good by reaching. good teams take value over players they are in love with. think of it this way, 3 players are better than 1

Justasportsfan said:
Colts reached for Dwight Freeney..............Patriots reached for Richard Seymour...

In the end, I'll take the right players even if they are reaches as long as they help the team win. What good is drafting players of value that don't end up helping the team. Mike Williams is a perfect example. The experts praised us for drafting him. In the end , their opinions were wrong and we were wrong in drafting him.

Value means nothing especially when you use the Pats' first sb win as an example. I mean back then Brady was a nobody and Antoine Smith? Drew Blesoe was a bigger name than Brady.

In their last sb win, they practically used rookies in the playoffs and still won.

C is where the bills draft should be. In time it could turn into an A+ or an F.

One things for sure, our secondary isn't gonna get burned by a back up like Sage to overcome a 21 pt. ,4th qtr lead. Yeah ,I'm sure you finfans remember that. Now that's it's addressed ,we still had the worst draft in the AFCE? Maybe in a teal and orange world.

In time we shall see. Lockdown the wr's and give our DL time to get to Culpepper and then sack him for a loss and fumble. Looking forward to that.

In terms of player value, maybe we didn't do well. But if these players help the team win, their value would be bigger than where they were drafted.
Culpepper will take great joy in tearing apart your rookie DBs. Chambers will continue to burn Clemens unless Clemens is still holding out :lol:

nick1 said:
typical Bills fan, satisfied with reaching. your team doesn't get good by reaching. good teams take value over players they are in love with. think of it this way, 3 players are better than 1
thats a nice idea, but i dont believe that is how it really works.

its a gamble. teams will always say they got the player they wanted, but i bet the fins would have been much happier if Whitner fell to them. and i bet the giants were going to take McCargo with the 32nd pick, but had to settle on someone else.

IMO, both Whitner and McCargo would have been picked by other teams about 5 or 6 spots after the bills pick if the bills didnt take them. were they a reach, maybe... because Mel is all knowing :rolleyes: .

in the end we will not know how any team did in the draft for at least 3 years.

ch19079 said:
in the end we will not know how any team did in the draft for at least 3 years.

Don't you understand? It doesn't matter. Even if Whitner and McCargo go to 10 probowls each and make the HOF, they were still bad picks because the Bills drafted them too early and gave up too much. That's certainly what Bills fans were saying about Eddie Moore a few years ago.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Don't you understand? It doesn't matter. Even if Whitner and McCargo go to 10 probowls each and make the HOF, they were still bad picks because the Bills drafted them too early and gave up too much. That's certainly what Bills fans were saying about Eddie Moore a few years ago.
gave up to much... i dont think so. we had an extra 3rd round pick from the henry trade, and we got a good DT who fits our new defensive scheme. if we didnt trade up, the giants would have drafted McCargo and we would be left to draft a much less tallented player later, as there was a major drop off in tallent at DT in this yeats draft.

where players are rated is based on opinions. Mel may think a guy is a early to mid second rounder but the bills may think hes worth being a late 1st.

and again, i would not call, drafting a guy 6 spots ahead of where another team would have drafted him, a reach. I would love to trade down 5 spots and get the same player we wanted and gain an extra draft pick doing it. I would love to not trade up and have the player we want fall to us. but its all a gamble. With the very real possibility of Coy Wire as our starting SS and Anderson being our starting DT next season, we could not afford to gamble.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I'd gladly give up the best players on the team for high school players if it meant the bills winning the sb.

No one will argue that we reached. If reaching in the draft results in wins , they are not bad picks. Freeney and Seymour were bad picks by your logic. NOt.

Comparing Eddie Moore to Whitner is just stupid. Eddie Moore was a bust from day one.

Justasportsfan said:
I'd gladly give up the best players on the team for high school players if it meant the bills winning the sb.

No one will argue that we reached. If reaching in the draft results in wins , they are not bad picks. Freeney and Seymour were bad picks by your logic. NOt.

Comparing Eddie Moore to Whitner is just stupid. Eddie Moore was a bust from day one.
most of the time good teams don't reach, good teams make themselves better through the draft with more selections. see the Pats, Steelers, etc. any good team. the Bills have a recent history of reaching for players, how the workout nobody knows yet but I'd take 5 good players over 2.

nick1 said:
most of the time good teams don't reach, good teams make themselves better through the draft with more selections. see the Pats, Steelers, etc. any good team. the Bills have a recent history of reaching for players, how the workout nobody knows yet but I'd take 5 good players over 2.
Seymor was a PAt. WTF are you talking about? Who did we reach for under Donahoe? Nick1 Donahoe was a value GM. That didn't work.

You seriously need to stop talking about things you know nothing of.

Justasportsfan said:
Seymor was a PAt. WTF are you talking about? Who did we reach for under Donahoe? Nick1 Donahoe was a value GM. That didn't work.

You seriously need to stop talking about things you know nothing of.
I said most of the time idiot! Losman was a reach in the 1st round and he seems to be a bust

Back
Top Bottom