Grushcow's in depth Cap Conscious Offseason strategy - Give it a read! (Long).... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grushcow's in depth Cap Conscious Offseason strategy - Give it a read! (Long)....

See my response to the chemistry. And I agree this is unrealistic, but financially it makes sense and upgrades our team across the board, well also making our offensive and defensive commitments nearly even, unlike the massive divide we have now. But this is very hypothetical, but for every FA I have another FA that would be an adequate upgrade for a good price. I could bring Hartline, Starks and Clemons back and adjust it to air on the side of realism but for this I really just wanted to play GM.

Ignoring realism I completely agree that these would be some great pickups and would love to get a couple of these free agents, specifically Vollmer and Bennett. The draft also looked great, however Mingo at #12 worries me. I would absolutely love to pick up Justin Hunter with the 54th pick and think our WR corps would be significantly improved with him and Jennings.

WOW That is one well thought out , detail oriented , business plan for the Dolphins off season.

A for the time and effort it must have taken to put those money numbers together. Accounting major I presume.

As a sightly anal numbers guy myself good work brother.

Good read. This would be a step in the right direction, maybe enough to sneak into the playoffs this season and with another step in the right direction next offseason maybe we can be legit contenders in 2014.

A lot of really good thoughts on free agency, but that draft is an abomination.

Love a lot of the signings, especially Vollmer and Brandon Moore, excellent.

Martellus Bennett is going to the Bucs. The Bucs will be bringing back Michael Bennett and Martellus has already said he wants to go and play with his brother. It is about as much a sure thing as anything in free agency this year. Forget about Bennett.

Seriously doubt the Marks deal, very likely he stays in TN.

Doubt they pay Quinn, too many good safeties in the draft and Clemons return is still likely.

Casey and Idonije are good signings.

Jennings and Hartline are kinda the same player but maybe? Probably depends on how NFL ready they believe the rookies in this class to be; the rooks that interest them that is. Guys like Hopkins,Swope,Bailey,Hunter,Patton,Boyce, etc.

The draft:
You want to use the #12 pick in the draft for a situational pass rusher who only had 5 sacks last year????????? Are ya nuts??

Jonathan Banks is horrible fit for our schemes.

Hunter is an intriguing guy. I like Stedman Bailey better but I would really love both of them.

Spending a mid 3rd on a RB. Yuck! Not a value pick. I don't mind dumping Thomas but we could sign guys like Mike Goodson or Peyton Hillis for peanuts IF, we even need to add to the mix. Goodson played for Sherman at A&M.

I'd rather keep Thomas and trade John Jerry and then draft Brian Winters to compete for both OG positions and/or beat out Jonathan Martin at RT, which wouldn't take much. Actually, Id rather trade Thomas and Jerry and draft Winters and sign Goodson. Goodson averaged over 5 yards per carry last year.

I really,really hate the Mathieu pick. Draft Truphant or Rhodes in the first and sign Antwaan Barnes to be your situational pass rusher. He actually sacks people and Desmond Truphant is going to make several trips to Hawaii. Use the 4th somewhere else.

I'm all for cutting Carpenter but do we really need to draft Hopkins that high? Is there a lot of desperation at the kicker position in the league outside of San Francisco. I expect they will sign a kicker. When you are a SB team you defininitely don't wnat to depend on a rookie kicker. Kaeding may land with the 49ers. I think Hopkins will be there in the 7th but we could trade up or down to get into the mid to late 6th and get him there but the two prospects behind him aren't that bad either.

Are you sure we don't have depth at DT with Kheeston Randall and Chas Alexcih?? I think you need to draft a DE to replace Idonije. You only signed him for a year. I would use the 3rd I don't like the Williams pick. I think you need to draft another WR. Swope or Marquiess Griffin, some real speed.

You will have to pay a lot more for Houston and Toler. You may have to settle for Keenan Lewis(who is better anyway IMO) and a stop gap like Marcus Truphant or even sign Chris Gamble who is going to be released.

A lot of really good thoughts on free agency, but that draft is an abomination.

Love a lot of the signings, especially Vollmer and Brandon Moore, excellent.

Martellus Bennett is going to the Bucs. The Bucs will be bringing back Michael Bennett and Martellus has already said he wants to go and play with his brother. It is about as much a sure thing as anything in free agency this year. Forget about Bennett.

Seriously doubt the Marks deal, very likely he stays in TN.

Doubt they pay Quinn, too many good safeties in the draft and Clemons return is still likely.

Casey and Idonije are good signings.

Jennings and Hartline are kinda the same player but maybe? Probably depends on how NFL ready they believe the rookies in this class to be; the rooks that interest them that is. Guys like Hopkins,Swope,Bailey,Hunter,Patton,Boyce, etc.

The draft:
You want to use the #12 pick in the draft for a situational pass rusher who only had 5 sacks last year????????? Are ya nuts??

Jonathan Banks is horrible fit for our schemes.

Hunter is an intriguing guy. I like Stedman Bailey better but I would really love both of them.

Spending a mid 3rd on a RB. Yuck! Not a value pick. I don't mind dumping Thomas but we could sign guys like Mike Goodson or Peyton Hillis for peanuts IF, we even need to add to the mix. Goodson played for Sherman at A&M.

I'd rather keep Thomas and trade John Jerry and then draft Brian Winters to compete for both OG positions and/or beat out Jonathan Martin at RT, which wouldn't take much. Actually, Id rather trade Thomas and Jerry and draft Winters and sign Goodson. Goodson averaged over 5 yards per carry last year.

I really,really hate the Mathieu pick. Draft Truphant or Rhodes in the first and sign Antwaan Barnes to be your situational pass rusher. He actually sacks people and Desmond Truphant is going to make several trips to Hawaii. Use the 4th somewhere else.

I'm all for cutting Carpenter but do we really need to draft Hopkins that high? Is there a lot of desperation at the kicker position in the league outside of San Francisco. I expect they will sign a kicker. When you are a SB team you defininitely don't wnat to depend on a rookie kicker. Kaeding may land with the 49ers. I think Hopkins will be there in the 7th but we could trade up or down to get into the mid to late 6th and get him there but the two prospects behind him aren't that bad either.

Are you sure we don't have depth at DT with Kheeston Randall and Chas Alexcih?? I think you need to draft a DE to replace Idonije. You only signed him for a year. I would use the 3rd I don't like the Williams pick. I think you need to draft another WR. Swope or Marquiess Griffin, some real speed.

You will have to pay a lot more for Houston and Toler. You may have to settle for Keenan Lewis(who is better anyway IMO) and a stop gap like Marcus Truphant or even sign Chris Gamble who is going to be released.

Ya that's too bad about Bennett, he would've been a nice fit. And with the Starks tag there's no need for Marks, hopefully we extend him. Jennings really isn't the same player as Hartline, he is solid at all the things Hartline does and so much more, perfect fit for our offense and more reliable than Wallace. Quin's more of a pipe dream and would be a big help for our secondary with what he brings to the table.

As for the draft I mentioned I haven't done a ton of research, I'd just like a solid pass rusher with high upside. I think Banks is a Joe Haden type guy and is going to be a solid, big body pro. Bringing in Jennings instead of Wallace we need a speed guy, and Bailey isn't a speed guy. Hunter also can develop as a solid redzone option which we desperately need, especially with Bennett out of the equation. Big Stepfan Taylor fan, once you get in the third round some very solid running backs can be had, as long as you aren't wasting a 1st or 2nd as far as I'm concerned. I'm a big Trufant fan, and I also have always really like Goodson but like Taylor enough as a solid compliment to Miller. Mathieu's a gamer, everyone's entitled to their opinion but in the middle rounds I take the chance on a potential difference maker in a defense that doesn't create enough turnovers. With Starks back definitely tone down the DT action, but him and Soliai are up after this season. Like Randall. And the DE I'd add would come in the first round and be the heir apparent to Idonije.

As for the contracts, Toler has some injury history and I was looking at Cardinals boards and they didn't seem to think his price tag would be too much. 6 a year for Houston is a little less than Wright got last year, but it's pretty clear that Wright didn't deserve that deal so 6-6.5 a year seems to be in the ballpark. Keenan Lewis was by plan B.

Thanks for the input, definitely gonna make some adjustments with Starks now in the fold.

Don't see us being able to sign that MANY FA's... No swope in the draft which I didn't like.... Idonije and Odrick are VERY similiar players, in fact almost identical. Solid work tho bro overall I liked most the moves.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Oh, and PS Starks got tagged

Disagree with some of the personnel but that write up was a great read. A shame you don't post more often as I think you would bring a lot to the table.

WOW That is one well thought out , detail oriented , business plan for the Dolphins off season.

A for the time and effort it must have taken to put those money numbers together. Accounting major I presume.

As a sightly anal numbers guy myself good work brother.

Not an accounting guy actually! Not much of a numbers guy period, but it was very interesting to learn about the cap and how it isn't as black and white as I initially thought. I'm glad the #s seem to check out!

Not bad except Brandon Washington left school early last year. He went undrafted.

Too many new starters, and few of them mesh in with the Philbin Philosophy. But I'll give you an A for effort.

Very well done and a fun read. That being said I can not say I agree with your choices and would be pretty surprised if any of this came to pass.

This was all very hypothetical, I'd be lying if I thought 10% of this would happen. With Starks returning I'm gonna take a second stab at it before the March 12th deadline, his return limits some of my creativity hahaha, but it will keep it a little more realistic with more returning guys.

Back
Top Bottom