Hard Rock Stadium field condition updates | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hard Rock Stadium field condition updates

It’s an embarrassment to play on a field tore up by a college game week after week on national tv

The field was brand new prior to yesterday's Canes game but couldn't even handle pregame warmups for that game. I posted that in the game thread. The engineers were guaranteed to botch some aspects of the patchwork. The field condition assumptions just happened to be what they missed badly on.

I'm sure the brief rain prior to kickoff today really contributed to how quickly the field gave way. I didn't think it would suffer as badly as it did. By late game today you never would have guessed the field was new.

And now the Canes play at home each of the next two weeks. There's no rest for this field. I'm sure the turf will be replaced at least once more this season.

The top international soccer teams despise field turf. That really limits Ross' options. He likely has to give up the major soccer matches if he installs field turf. Check the comments after the 2015 Women's World Cup, which was held in Canada and most of the sites used field turf. It was considered an experiment, and one that failed. Recovery time was a huge issue. The field turf placed so much stress on legs and ankles that players simply weren't ready to play again 3-4 days later. Alex Morgan had some very pointed comments on the issue. Prior to the tournament there was even a lawsuit against FIFA for allowing a major event on field turf but it was quietly dropped since players were advised not to make waves.

Granted, an occasional friendly on field turf is not as taxing as an elongated tournament. But nobody wants to risk an international superstar on field turf. There have been instances at Gillette and elsewhere in which grass was briefly replaced over field turf for soccer. That could be an option at Hard Rock. But given the known problems of the field holding up for even one game under best conditions I don't see how it't attractive when field turf is underneath.

It's amazing how much the roof has impacted the field conditions. When I look back at some of the 2015 games like Miami/Nebraska it's unbelievable how fast and firm and pretty the turf was. That was by far my favorite season at this stadium because the corners of the upper deck had been removed to make way for the video screens a year later. Not only was there more air flow at my low upper deck seat than ever before but obviously the additional sunlight through those gaps really benefitted the grass as well.

search it... all surfaces are being designed and marketed ‘soccer centric’; so this argument is a non-starter; all fields can be whatever blades or blade combinations desired.

The field is an embarrassment to the organization. I doubt we get many big time games here with this condition.

How many times did players slip on this field!?
It was clearly effecting the game.

search it... all surfaces are being designed and marketed ‘soccer centric’; so this argument is a non-starter; all fields can be whatever blades or blade combinations desired.

Actually Wolfsburg Stadium in Germany is almost our twin.

philips-lighting-volkswagen-arena-air.jpg

And the funny part is they don't have a turf issue. They also use the same grow lamps that we used last season (failed) and they have the same shadow issues with light only hitting parts of the field.

"The pitch is covered in hybrid grass,[3] which is natural grass that is reinforced with synthetic fibres, thus improving its weatherability.[55] The Volkswagen Arena was the first Bundesliga stadium to introduce such a system.[56][57] From the outset, the pitch has been heated so that matches can be played regardless of ice and snow.[58]"

Here is what they use: http://www.dessosports.com/sports/football/football-projects/vfl-wolfsburg-germany

Not only is their turf good, it is rated the best. http://stadiumdb.com/news/2016/06/germany_wolfsburg_with_germanys_best_turf

this would solve some issues, but... it's the problem of logo switching; Packers & Broncos use their hybrid, but don't have collegiate teams in-house; Garfinkel prob searched this out already

this would solve some issues, but... it's the problem of logo switching; Packers & Broncos use their hybrid, but don't have collegiate teams in-house; Garfinkel prob searched this out already

The logo switching would be handled the same way, either replace that square or paint over it. That area at midfield wouldn't impact overall play as an entire chewed up field would. Also, they could just go without a logo at midfield. Problem solved. They don't put one at midfield of Heinz Field when Pitt and the Steelers are sharing it. Steelers logo is only there when Pitt is away or their season is over.

So you want our guys playing on a surface that would be 130 fricken degrees??!! Don't you realize how much hotter artificial surface gets vs. grass. Our players would be collapsing on the field from the ungodly heat as would the opposing teams players.

It's not like no other team plays on artificial turf. Hell, the local high school here in TX has artificial turf when the air temperature is at or around 100 degrees. And they don't have giant mist fans, a full staff of waterboys, and all the other tech that the NFL has. So, that excuse doesn't fly.

And here I watch the Packers at home on MNF in November and the field condition is PRISTINE. Yes it's a hybrid and no one would know. Zero chunks of turf and sold footing for all.

Heat underneath, sand layer, and grow lamps do the trick. All from Green Bay Wisconsin.

Miami field is a complete joke. Just like their talent level.

Can this front office do anything right? They probably even have single ply toilet paper in the stalls. And the dispensers that only give out one square at a time.

Back
Top Bottom