Hard Rock Stadium field condition updates | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hard Rock Stadium field condition updates

It’s an embarrassment to play on a field tore up by a college game week after week on national tv

IMO one of the problems is how often the field gets used. The U plays on it as well as big events are held there. They should just go to a turf if they want the stadium to get lots of use. Today's turf is a good option and it would improve team speed ... Miami needs help there as well.

And here I watch the Packers at home on MNF in November and the field condition is PRISTINE. Yes it's a hybrid and no one would know. Zero chunks of turf and sold footing for all.

Heat underneath, sand layer, and grow lamps do the trick. All from Green Bay Wisconsin.

Miami field is a complete joke. Just like their talent level.

Can this front office do anything right? They probably even have single ply toilet paper in the stalls. And the dispensers that only give out one square at a time.
It’s almost as if it gets a lot hotter in Miami than Green Bay or Germany.

The problem is the relative lack of air circulation. Even on an 80 degree day it’s still 100+ on the ground there. You add in grow lamps to make up for the shade and it’s even hotter. Plants will die when exposed to just those conditions much less the wear and tear of multiple games.

IMO one of the problems is how often the field gets used. The U plays on it as well as big events are held there. They should just go to a turf if they want the stadium to get lots of use. Today's turf is a good option and it would improve team speed ... Miami needs help there as well.
You do realize it would improve the other teams speed as well...right?

It’s almost as if it gets a lot hotter in Miami than Green Bay or Germany.

The problem is the relative lack of air circulation. Even on an 80 degree day it’s still 100+ on the ground there. You add in grow lamps to make up for the shade and it’s even hotter. Plants will die when exposed to just those conditions much less the wear and tear of multiple games.

That makes sense -- too much heat, too much shade, and too little air circulation. Those three variables are front and center every time I enter the stadium. The shade is a good thing for fans but not the field.

It was impossible to watch that Green Bay game last night and not be struck by the terrific field conditions, compared to anywhere but especially to our own predicament.

The field is not heavily used. That excuse is not valid. The Orange Bowl had high school games all season long and the field held up great. Miami High used the Orange Bowl as its home field and many other games were played there.

This season in particular the activity has been light. The Dolphins missed one home game. The Canes have three consecutive games now but they went from September 23 to October 14 without playing at home. It's ridiculous that the field has been so incompetent thus far.

Bottom line the engineers guessed, and guessed poorly. Ross spent so much time arguing over finances he didn't pay enough attention to what he was building.

The Dolphins brass seemingly cared more about sticking the late afternoon sun into the faces of the visiting team bench than whether or not their new patchwork could actually grow grass.

That makes sense -- too much heat, too much shade, and too little air circulation. Those three variables are front and center every time I enter the stadium. The shade is a good thing for fans but not the field.

It was impossible to watch that Green Bay game last night and not be struck by the terrific field conditions, compared to anywhere but especially to our own predicament.

The field is not heavily used. That excuse is not valid. The Orange Bowl had high school games all season long and the field held up great. Miami High used the Orange Bowl as its home field and many other games were played there.

This season in particular the activity has been light. The Dolphins missed one home game. The Canes have three consecutive games now but they went from September 23 to October 14 without playing at home. It's ridiculous that the field has been so incompetent thus far.

Bottom line the engineers guessed, and guessed poorly. Ross spent so much time arguing over finances he didn't pay enough attention to what he was building.

The Dolphins brass seemingly cared more about sticking the late afternoon sun into the faces of the visiting team bench than whether or not their new patchwork could actually grow grass.

Plus the concerts over the summer put them behind the eight-ball before the season even started...

I can verify that having caught a TD pass there in HS playing against Miami High. Coolest thing ever and the fact that there were only 5 or 6 thousand fans in a stadium that held 70,000 all sitting around the 50 yard line did not take anything away from it :)

Back to the field condition.

I believe they have two options:

1) Less events meaning less wear and tear on natural grass. (Don't see this happening)
2) Bring in synthetic.

It has been brought up that synthetic would get incredibly hot in the summer heat. To that, I would say that the billionaire Ross can pay to have cooling figured out underneath the field. There are homes with heated floors, granted a football stadium field is much much larger, but I would imagine it is within the abilities of human achievement to create a cooling system under the field. Lines pumping cold water through tubes to lower the temperature of the sub materials below the synthetic grass, etc. Nope, I don't know how it would work. But I can't imagine it beyond our capabilities, nor the pocket book of Ross. I HATED watching the Fins play on Marlin baseball fields. We had the worst field. Now we finally get a designated football field, and it still sucks. Got to get this fixed.

They used grow lights last year and it did nothing for this turf. They should have just stuck with the same grass type they had before the canopy...and used the grow lights.
Ross just hired the wrong ground keeping company. Any college student living in dorm can give him expert advice.

Back
Top Bottom