Harris Island | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Harris Island

I think there is a misconception that any speed DE can learn how to be an effective tackler. And vice versa, than any run stuffing DE can acquire speed rushing skills.

These are two distinctive disciplines. I think it is foolsih to believe Harris will morph into a run stuffing DE. Dismissing this task as "something to learn" is short sighted. I guess that would imply Wake still has some learning to do.

This is why Olivier Vernon got paid. He had the sack numbers and was very underrated and unappreciated by Phin fans for his run support and ability to set the edge.

And this is why Branch also got paid. Branch is a poor man's Vernon.

Speed DEs are like CBs that can't tackle: never have and never will.

This is the fundamental reason Harris is getting trashed on the board. A 1st round pick should be a more complete player. Harris gets pushed around and tends to not pursue. People didn't make those types of remarks about players like Lamp.

What I'm hearing is a contradiction of criticisms. People have been crucified for need based drafting wishes in the past or Gms who reached based on need. BPA has been preached over and over.

Yet, what I'm hearing on the board from those defending Harris is ironically need based thinking. And I think the same could be said for the defense of McMillian.

Lamp was one of the BPAs available. I don't think anyone would have had to defend that pick. Lamp would have fit right into the logic of Tunsil. A gifted LG or RG that immediately starts. Couple him with Asiata and most of the Harris bashers would have crowned this draft one of our best ever.

Personally, i think the Harris supporters are having to do too much justification and that alone is a sign of a questionable pick.

Remember how the board unified after the Tunsil pick? That is how a great pick is received by fans. The same as they have Asiata.

People are defending Harris as another Wake. Please...Wake is a rare player, man and specimen. Harris would be fortunate to have half of Wake's career. Stop reaching. He is an incomplete DE tasked with the same challenges faced by 100% of the speed rushers in the NFL. How many have achieved this goal?

A 1st round pick should not be a project.

And I've also seen criticisms of picking OL early when it is a deep defensive draft. That is WHEN you grab positions of shallow talent pools; EARLY. You have the entire draft to grab deep positions.

Some of these comments.....Wow.

hahaha

bashers are the loudest because they're proven wrong the most . . . just look at the oranges

imagine the willis-wanters condemning the pick as their guy fell to day 3 damn near

but jarrad davis a reach at 22 . . . haha they make the baum look like
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/514254851178435319/

twice held to the rule you never take players with shoulder problems early

forrest lamp at 22

kevin zeitler is the highest paid guard of all time . . vonn miller highest paid pass rusher

if i'm trying to clone guess which way i'm going

spin2win

earthqwake suhnami coming soon . . . . . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha

bashers are the loudest because they're proven wrong the most . . . just look at the oranges

imagine the willis-wanters condemning the pick as their guy fell to day 3 damn near

but jarrad davis a reach at 22 . . . haha they make the baum look like
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/514254851178435319/

twice held to the rule you never take players with shoulder problems early

forrest lamp at 22

kevin zeitler is the highest paid guard of all time . . vonn miller highest paid pass rusher

if i'm trying to clone guess which way i'm going

spin2win

earthqwake suhnami coming soon . . . . . . . .

Your posts are hilarious :lol:

I think there is a misconception that any speed DE can learn how to be an effective tackler. And vice versa, than any run stuffing DE can acquire speed rushing skills.

These are two distinctive disciplines. I think it is foolsih to believe Harris will morph into a run stuffing DE. Dismissing this task as "something to learn" is short sighted. I guess that would imply Wake still has some learning to do.

This is why Olivier Vernon got paid. He had the sack numbers and was very underrated and unappreciated by Phin fans for his run support and ability to set the edge.

And this is why Branch also got paid. Branch is a poor man's Vernon.

Speed DEs are like CBs that can't tackle: never have and never will.

This is the fundamental reason Harris is getting trashed on the board. A 1st round pick should be a more complete player. Harris gets pushed around and tends to not pursue. People didn't make those types of remarks about players like Lamp.

What I'm hearing is a contradiction of criticisms. People have been crucified for need based drafting wishes in the past or Gms who reached based on need. BPA has been preached over and over.

Yet, what I'm hearing on the board from those defending Harris is ironically need based thinking. And I think the same could be said for the defense of McMillian.

Lamp was one of the BPAs available. I don't think anyone would have had to defend that pick. Lamp would have fit right into the logic of Tunsil. A gifted LG or RG that immediately starts. Couple him with Asiata and most of the Harris bashers would have crowned this draft one of our best ever.

Personally, i think the Harris supporters are having to do too much justification and that alone is a sign of a questionable pick.

Remember how the board unified after the Tunsil pick? That is how a great pick is received by fans. The same as they have Asiata.

People are defending Harris as another Wake. Please...Wake is a rare player, man and specimen. Harris would be fortunate to have half of Wake's career. Stop reaching. He is an incomplete DE tasked with the same challenges faced by 100% of the speed rushers in the NFL. How many have achieved this goal?

A 1st round pick should not be a project.

And I've also seen criticisms of picking OL early when it is a deep defensive draft. That is WHEN you grab positions of shallow talent pools; EARLY. You have the entire draft to grab deep positions.

Some of these comments.....Wow.

Wake as great as he is has a weakness. Rush defense.

Does that make him a project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea we already have a underrated draft prospect on our team that never got drafted by the name of Cam Wake whom is a great example that many of these combine stats are way over rated. Look if/ when we loose Wake and eventually we will sooner than later we better be prepared. Davis was a very smart step in that direction. He might not be the "guy" but at least we are preparing. Also all this talk about Lamp whom fell to the 2nd round should have been our pick is over the top as 32 other teams didn't rate drafting a guard that high.

The crazy part about Cam's combine stats is that they're super impressive. 45 and 1/2 inch vert, 10' 10" broad jump, and a 4.55 forty time (might be off).

His explosion was obviously there.

I'm pretty shocked looking at those numbers he couldn't even make the Giants.

Maybe, at the time he just wasn't a good football player.

I know you guys might get on me about this but I do and have always believed Cam had a little fun experimenting with PEDs.

He was a personal trainer in Canada trying to make the NFL. All 3 of those scream steroids.

If you've ever seen the guy in person you'd understand more of why I say that.

I love Cam and don't think he touched anything after getting to the NFL but just my opinion.

No evidence at all lol I know USF players do though. They told me personally. Why would big name schools not?

The wide 9 is supposed to funnel the runs inside for the DTs and LBs to mop up. We finally have quality talent inside so all Wake/Harris/Branch have to do is win at sealing the edge. Two out of the three have elite burst so that alone is going to make a big difference at stopping the run.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Alonso Timmons McMillan and Reshad Jones all players that can thump inside.

The crazy part about Cam's combine stats is that they're super impressive. 45 and 1/2 inch vert, 10' 10" broad jump, and a 4.55 forty time (might be off).

His explosion was obviously there.

I'm pretty shocked looking at those numbers he couldn't even make the Giants.

Maybe, at the time he just wasn't a good football player.

I know you guys might get on me about this but I do and have always believed Cam had a little fun experimenting with PEDs.

He was a personal trainer in Canada trying to make the NFL. All 3 of those scream steroids.

If you've ever seen the guy in person you'd understand more of why I say that.

I love Cam and don't think he touched anything after getting to the NFL but just my opinion.

No evidence at all lol I know USF players do though. They told me personally. Why would big name schools not?

I would guess 95% of all NFL players "touched something" illegal at some point in their lives. If everybody else is cheating then you have to cheat too just to stay even.

The wide 9 is supposed to funnel the runs inside for the DTs and LBs to mop up.

Eh, in theory. It's originally design vs the run was concocted in the early 00's by Belichick to stop the outside stretch runs, and more specifically those of the Indianapolis colts, before Jim Schwartz began to use it full time. Now a days it too often creates creases and cutback lanes for RBs in more advanced ZBS's.

I would guess 95% of all NFL players "touched something" illegal at some point in their lives. If everybody else is cheating then you have to cheat too just to stay even.

I totally agree.

Like you said, most guys do it.

I know having great genes is extremely important but when you look at guys like Vernon Davis, Taylor Mays, etc it's so obvious.

Humans just don't look like that lol

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Eh, in theory. It's originally design vs the run was concocted in the early 00's by Belichick to stop the outside stretch runs, and more specifically those of the Indianapolis colts, before Jim Schwartz began to use it full time. Now a days it too often creates creases and cutback lanes for RBs in more advanced ZBS's.

What scheme would you run knowing our players and what they're capable of? Just Wondering

It makes me wish for the days where we could stop the run and it was only the ****ing slant passes that killed us because we had a ****ty slot corner. then we drafted fletcher to be our slot corner, except he was supposed to be a zone guy. ah the early 00s.

If both your ends can win on the first step, that dramatically changes the play. Both Wake and Harris are known for that so in a sense we are already expecting the cut back and now we have the talent in the middle stop that hopefully. Alonso and Jones can provide the support on the outside. Also, Howard was no slouch on the boundary either.

Back
Top Bottom