Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 8

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* What a coaching job. The Dolphins staff out-coached the Jets in every phase. Tons of credit to Joe Philbin for having his team primed after the bye. The team could have been flat, but they played with energy and looked fresh. The game plan in all three phases was terrific. Finally, with the Jets running their mouths all week, Philbin kept the team focused on football. Great, great job.
* Darren Rizzi. Not enough bandwidth to describe his game as special teams coordinator. Incredible game changing plays out of his unit. His units were ready and led the Dolphins to victory.
* Kevin Coyle had perfectly designed blitzes especially using the DB's to put pressure on Sanchez. He had a tremendous game plan coming out of the bye. His unit played physical and demonstrated they were the better of the two defenses on the field today.
* Tons of credit goes to the coaching staff for having the backup ready to go. Matt Moore is an obvious example, but some others like Austin Spitler showed well in spots. Guys like Kaci Rogers and George Edwards deserve credit for having the "next guy up" ready to play and play well.
* Plus 1 in the TO margin. Had some other plays that are not counted as turnovers, but act like it.
* I thought the Fins got off to a nice start. The Fins scored early showing preparation from the two weeks of work.
* Again, I have to come back to the special teams. What amazing work. Great preparation by the coaches and execution by the players. First, we have the onsides kick. I love how the team used their trick play "first". From there, we have the Jimmy Wilson punt block with a Olivier Vernon recovery for a TD. Then the Jets trying to get back into with a FG are turned away by kick block of Oliver Vernon. Marcus Thigpen had a huge return after the Jets got their first points. He immediately changed field position and got the offense into scoring position. Dan Carpenter was money. I thought he drove his FG attempts nice and low through whatever wind was there. Brandon Fields was money. He has been a consistent weapon for the Dolphins. Finally, coverage teams were mostly spot on and they had a perfectly executed onside kick recovery near the end of the game. One of the best special teams performances in recent memory for the Fins.
* What a luxury it is to have a solid veteran back up QB. Matt Moore has shown tremendous professionalism since Tannehill was named the starter. He took the backup news with class on Hardknocks and all reports are that he is a positive influence on Tannehill's development. Today, he was a pro's pro today. Demonstrating the preparation as if he took every practice snap, Moore was spot on today. He checked in and out of plays and ran the no huddle effectively. I loved how he felt comfortable at the end of the game to check out of a play and throw it. Other players that are not starters must learn from Moore's example today.
* Moore was excellent spreading the ball around. Once he entered the game, everyone from Hartline, Bess, Moore, Gaffney and Fasano got involved. Also, Matt Moore, albeit quietly, throws from explosive plays. Near the end of last season, Moore and the Fins offense were one of the top teams in with passing plays over 20 yards. The throws to Moore and Gaffney were explosive and huge in the outcome of the game. Finally, Moore picked up some nice third downs to keep the clock moving and changing field position. Rock solid.
* I like how the last two games, Marlon Moore is giving an explosive play. He got another one today with a great catch. I was pumped to see Jabbar Gaffney get open for a 30 yard catch. Yes, he did drop one, but what I like is it shows him twice today getting open. Maybe between the two, the Fins can get some effective production.
* Fasano's toetap for a TD was a thing of beauty.
* I loved how hard Daniel Thomas ran today. Workmanlike results, but it was what the team needed. Good to see him cash in on a TD.
* The offensive line played with a mean streak. They came off the ball well and played like the game meant something to them...thanks Lauren Landry and Aaron Maybin. Pouncy had a nice game in the pivot.
* Good run stopping. Thought the D was physical when stopping the run early. The Jets got some garbage yards when the D was looking pass. However, they controlled the LOS.
* The D took the Jets out of what they wanted to do. Forcing Sanchez to throw 50 plus times is a recipe for success.
* Paul Soliai was active. Ended up also recovering a Sanchez fumble.
* Tony McDaniel is a excellent DT. Laid a nice shot on Sanchez too. Loved it.
* Randy Starks was athletic and also tough to move. Played with an attitude.
* Cam Wake, again created nice pressure.
* The team was tremendous versus Dustin Keller. Perhaps under Kevin Coyle, the Dolphins are getting better at defending opposing TE's.
* Chris Clemons was outstanding today. He had a big pick near the end zone and was active vs the pass. Remember, his pick came after Bush's fumble. Big play. Two straight games with big plays.
* Jimmy Wilson was not only a factor in special teams, but also on D. He was an effective blitzer creating a fumble and defended well with a key PD. He might be rounding into form as a viable NFL player on defense.
* Olivier Vernon must be sited again. The TD on the punt block and block FG.
* The Fins played a clean game. Outside of a Bush fumble and a few penalties, the Fins played a fine game.
* Many examples of guys fighting through injuries to help the team.
* Great to see the team rallying around Reggie Bush after the nonsense that came from the Jets this week.

Negatives
* Too much of a breakdown on the sack of Tannehill that ended up injuring him. Better pick up is needed between Jerry and Martin.
* A few dropped picks. The Fins must start to take advantage of these opportunities. Reshad Jones and Nolan Carroll both dropped picks.
* The refs sucked...again.

Overall Assessment
* The turf at Met Life is terrible. So many reports of injured players and we saw that today. NFL should look into it.
* Mike Westoff might be the most overrated assistant coach. He was destroyed today by Darren Rizzi. His group also yielded a TD to the Pats last week.
* For the first time this year, we have to assess the injury situation later this week. Some players got knicked up. Hopefully, they are okay or else the next man has to step up. I am still not convinced the depth is adequate enough on this team.
* Tony Sparano has a grand total of two TD's vs. the Dolphins this year. He is lousy coach. Not much chest thumping today.
* The Dolphins let their play do the talking for the most part. I love seeing that. "Scoreboard" is always the loudest argument.
* Sometimes a special teams effort can win a game...today that was the case.
* Props to Joe Philbin for coming out of the bye with energy and excellent game plan. His staff totally out-coached Rex Ryan's staff. Some teams are flat out of the bye, but not the Fins today. Had a mission.
* I waited a long time to steamroll the Jets. Fun to see the empty stadium.

What a luxury it is to have a solid veteran back up QB. Matt Moore has shown tremendous professionalism since Tannehill was named the starter. He took the backup news with class on Hardknocks and all reports are that he is a positive influence on Tannehill's development.
this

I think the on side kick totally demoralized the Jets, and put them in a big hole, along with the blocked punt......some great special teams play. I remember thinking that stuff like this usually doesn't happen for the Phins, at least not in the last few years, but it is nice to see!!!!

I was pumped to see Jabbar Gaffney get open for a 30 yard catch. Yes, he did drop one, but what I like is it shows him twice today getting open.

Gaffney has a long track record of having good hands, so I'm pretty sure that drop was just a product of rust.

What was encouraging was to see that he was running full speed and getting open, which means he's fully healed from his leg injury.

Because you mentioned Matt Moore's professionalism, i just wanted to point out people have overlooked one of his best plays.

After getting knocked down, he spotted Incognito stalking towards the Jets bench. Knowing they had just gotten a free-be penalty and not wanting to ruin it, Moore scrambled to his feet and chased Richie down. Heads up move.

Tannehill is the future of this franchise, but im going to miss Moore's leadership. Good luck to him in the future on whatever team he lands with.

Because you mentioned Matt Moore's professionalism, i just wanted to point out people have overlooked one of his best plays.

After getting knocked down, he spotted Incognito stalking towards the Jets bench. Knowing they had just gotten a free-be penalty and not wanting to ruin it, Moore scrambled to his feet and chased Richie down. Heads up move.

Tannehill is the future of this franchise, but im going to miss Moore's leadership. Good luck to him in the future on whatever team he lands with.

I actually hope Miami tries to resign Moore.

I like to see a coach who tries something different. The Fake Punt a couple of weeks ago and now the onside kick. Brilliant.

Great comments on Matt Moore's professionalism . He is what Don Strock was to Griese and Woodley ! Thanks HF!

I've had a few hours to think about it and I'm still blown away by how well our coaches handled some key situations in that game. Darren Rizzi is the man.

And yes, Matt Moore deserves huge props. Great job in relief. I'm gonna be sorry to see him go, but as long as he doesn't go to the Bills or Jets, I will be happy to see him do well.

The thing is we didn't even capitolize on the onside we went three and out. After the onside possession we were only up. 3 to 0

Well said Hayden,this team is showing improvement in all phases of the game.

It was so awesome seeing the Jets getting destroyed!!!!

Morono is destroying the Jets like he did in Miami but I am not complaining.

We have a very good coaching staff and the future seems bright!

The tides are turning, this team is for real.

How bout them dolphins!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom