Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 8

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Positives
    * What a coaching job. The Dolphins staff out-coached the Jets in every phase. Tons of credit to Joe Philbin for having his team primed after the bye. The team could have been flat, but they played with energy and looked fresh. The game plan in all three phases was terrific. Finally, with the Jets running their mouths all week, Philbin kept the team focused on football. Great, great job.
    * Darren Rizzi. Not enough bandwidth to describe his game as special teams coordinator. Incredible game changing plays out of his unit. His units were ready and led the Dolphins to victory.
    * Kevin Coyle had perfectly designed blitzes especially using the DB's to put pressure on Sanchez. He had a tremendous game plan coming out of the bye. His unit played physical and demonstrated they were the better of the two defenses on the field today.
    * Tons of credit goes to the coaching staff for having the backup ready to go. Matt Moore is an obvious example, but some others like Austin Spitler showed well in spots. Guys like Kaci Rogers and George Edwards deserve credit for having the "next guy up" ready to play and play well.
    * Plus 1 in the TO margin. Had some other plays that are not counted as turnovers, but act like it.
    * I thought the Fins got off to a nice start. The Fins scored early showing preparation from the two weeks of work.
    * Again, I have to come back to the special teams. What amazing work. Great preparation by the coaches and execution by the players. First, we have the onsides kick. I love how the team used their trick play "first". From there, we have the Jimmy Wilson punt block with a Olivier Vernon recovery for a TD. Then the Jets trying to get back into with a FG are turned away by kick block of Oliver Vernon. Marcus Thigpen had a huge return after the Jets got their first points. He immediately changed field position and got the offense into scoring position. Dan Carpenter was money. I thought he drove his FG attempts nice and low through whatever wind was there. Brandon Fields was money. He has been a consistent weapon for the Dolphins. Finally, coverage teams were mostly spot on and they had a perfectly executed onside kick recovery near the end of the game. One of the best special teams performances in recent memory for the Fins.
    * What a luxury it is to have a solid veteran back up QB. Matt Moore has shown tremendous professionalism since Tannehill was named the starter. He took the backup news with class on Hardknocks and all reports are that he is a positive influence on Tannehill's development. Today, he was a pro's pro today. Demonstrating the preparation as if he took every practice snap, Moore was spot on today. He checked in and out of plays and ran the no huddle effectively. I loved how he felt comfortable at the end of the game to check out of a play and throw it. Other players that are not starters must learn from Moore's example today.
    * Moore was excellent spreading the ball around. Once he entered the game, everyone from Hartline, Bess, Moore, Gaffney and Fasano got involved. Also, Matt Moore, albeit quietly, throws from explosive plays. Near the end of last season, Moore and the Fins offense were one of the top teams in with passing plays over 20 yards. The throws to Moore and Gaffney were explosive and huge in the outcome of the game. Finally, Moore picked up some nice third downs to keep the clock moving and changing field position. Rock solid.
    * I like how the last two games, Marlon Moore is giving an explosive play. He got another one today with a great catch. I was pumped to see Jabbar Gaffney get open for a 30 yard catch. Yes, he did drop one, but what I like is it shows him twice today getting open. Maybe between the two, the Fins can get some effective production.
    * Fasano's toetap for a TD was a thing of beauty.
    * I loved how hard Daniel Thomas ran today. Workmanlike results, but it was what the team needed. Good to see him cash in on a TD.
    * The offensive line played with a mean streak. They came off the ball well and played like the game meant something to them...thanks Lauren Landry and Aaron Maybin. Pouncy had a nice game in the pivot.
    * Good run stopping. Thought the D was physical when stopping the run early. The Jets got some garbage yards when the D was looking pass. However, they controlled the LOS.
    * The D took the Jets out of what they wanted to do. Forcing Sanchez to throw 50 plus times is a recipe for success.
    * Paul Soliai was active. Ended up also recovering a Sanchez fumble.
    * Tony McDaniel is a excellent DT. Laid a nice shot on Sanchez too. Loved it.
    * Randy Starks was athletic and also tough to move. Played with an attitude.
    * Cam Wake, again created nice pressure.
    * The team was tremendous versus Dustin Keller. Perhaps under Kevin Coyle, the Dolphins are getting better at defending opposing TE's.
    * Chris Clemons was outstanding today. He had a big pick near the end zone and was active vs the pass. Remember, his pick came after Bush's fumble. Big play. Two straight games with big plays.
    * Jimmy Wilson was not only a factor in special teams, but also on D. He was an effective blitzer creating a fumble and defended well with a key PD. He might be rounding into form as a viable NFL player on defense.
    * Olivier Vernon must be sited again. The TD on the punt block and block FG.
    * The Fins played a clean game. Outside of a Bush fumble and a few penalties, the Fins played a fine game.
    * Many examples of guys fighting through injuries to help the team.
    * Great to see the team rallying around Reggie Bush after the nonsense that came from the Jets this week.

Negatives
    * Too much of a breakdown on the sack of Tannehill that ended up injuring him. Better pick up is needed between Jerry and Martin.
    * A few dropped picks. The Fins must start to take advantage of these opportunities. Reshad Jones and Nolan Carroll both dropped picks.
    * The refs sucked...again.

Overall Assessment
    * The turf at Met Life is terrible. So many reports of injured players and we saw that today. NFL should look into it.
    * Mike Westoff might be the most overrated assistant coach. He was destroyed today by Darren Rizzi. His group also yielded a TD to the Pats last week.
    * For the first time this year, we have to assess the injury situation later this week. Some players got knicked up. Hopefully, they are okay or else the next man has to step up. I am still not convinced the depth is adequate enough on this team.
    * Tony Sparano has a grand total of two TD's vs. the Dolphins this year. He is lousy coach. Not much chest thumping today.
    * The Dolphins let their play do the talking for the most part. I love seeing that. "Scoreboard" is always the loudest argument.
    * Sometimes a special teams effort can win a game...today that was the case.
    * Props to Joe Philbin for coming out of the bye with energy and excellent game plan. His staff totally out-coached Rex Ryan's staff. Some teams are flat out of the bye, but not the Fins today. Had a mission.
    * I waited a long time to steamroll the Jets. Fun to see the empty stadium.

2. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

this

3. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I think the on side kick totally demoralized the Jets, and put them in a big hole, along with the blocked punt......some great special teams play. I remember thinking that stuff like this usually doesn't happen for the Phins, at least not in the last few years, but it is nice to see!!!!

4. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Our Safety position looks a hell of alot better than it did over the off season.

5. normaldude

normaldude Starter

Gaffney has a long track record of having good hands, so I'm pretty sure that drop was just a product of rust.

What was encouraging was to see that he was running full speed and getting open, which means he's fully healed from his leg injury.

6. alexwr4

alexwr4 Starter

great poste dude!

7. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Because you mentioned Matt Moore's professionalism, i just wanted to point out people have overlooked one of his best plays.

After getting knocked down, he spotted Incognito stalking towards the Jets bench. Knowing they had just gotten a free-be penalty and not wanting to ruin it, Moore scrambled to his feet and chased Richie down. Heads up move.

Tannehill is the future of this franchise, but im going to miss Moore's leadership. Good luck to him in the future on whatever team he lands with.

8. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I actually hope Miami tries to resign Moore.

9. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

Excellent analysis Mr. Fox!

10. Kilted Phin

Kilted Phin Member

I like to see a coach who tries something different. The Fake Punt a couple of weeks ago and now the onside kick. Brilliant.

11. packfin

packfin Rookie

Great comments on Matt Moore's professionalism . He is what Don Strock was to Griese and Woodley ! Thanks HF!

12. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I've had a few hours to think about it and I'm still blown away by how well our coaches handled some key situations in that game. Darren Rizzi is the man.

And yes, Matt Moore deserves huge props. Great job in relief. I'm gonna be sorry to see him go, but as long as he doesn't go to the Bills or Jets, I will be happy to see him do well.

13. Hayden Fox

14. Brad528

Brad528 Pro Bowler

The thing is we didn't even capitolize on the onside we went three and out. After the onside possession we were only up. 3 to 0

15. northnj dolfan

northnj dolfan Well-Known Member

Well said Hayden,this team is showing improvement in all phases of the game.

It was so awesome seeing the Jets getting destroyed!!!!

Morono is destroying the Jets like he did in Miami but I am not complaining.

We have a very good coaching staff and the future seems bright!

The tides are turning, this team is for real.

How bout them dolphins!!!!!!!

16. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Have to wonder how much of this special teams stuff Rizzi had ready for last year only to have the ultra conservative Sparano deny him the chance to use any of it. Nice to have a coach that not only believes in his players but in his coaching staff.

17. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Great post! I was at the game today - was awesome to see all the jet fans leaving at the end of the 3rd. The sack that hurt RT happened right in front of our seats. I'm not sure but it looked like Fasano was supposed to chip Pace on his way into the route. Not sure what they said on TV about it. 30+ years watching this team and I really can't recall such a fantastic ST performance - wow.

18. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

A lot of players were doing things like that today, although Moore is the best example in that situation you just cited. It shows which team is the smarter team/better coached. You are always gonna have guys get heated, especially with all the talk about this one. That their teammates were there to keep them out of trouble was very smart. There's always plenty of time between the whistles to get your shots in.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

I can, but it was for the Patriots, not us.

19. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Good points all the way around bro.

20. fullerboy1

fullerboy1 Starter

I really like what I'am seeing not only from the coaching staff but from the player development also, great game.

21. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

Its a good sign...First game he played and targeted 3 times. Very promising IMO.

22. Dolfan1010

Dolfan1010 Member

Solid write up Hayden. I look forward to these every week.

23. JBinSD

JBinSD Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Great write up Hayden!

24. Hayden Fox

There is some athleticism in the receiving core right now that was not there in the preseason.

25. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

D. Thomas definitely had his best game of the season. I've been brutal towards him, because he's been horrible, but he was solid today.

26. Hayden Fox

Thomas is going to huge from here on out. I think Bush has lost a little of his "giddy up". Thomas might need to shoulder the load through December.

27. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm still holding out hope that Miller gets it going. At any rate, we'll be retaining Bush for much cheaper than expected, or we'll see him off. He's not a guy you can spend big bucks on. Good player, though. Would like to have him back for a reasonable contract.

28. Hayden Fox

I agree about Miller. Something is going on there. I am the biggest Miller supporter, but the staff does not like something in his game.

29. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Always have been a big MM fan; with less to work with and a lame duck coach, he's actually done better in Carolina than Cam when you think about it - a lot better. Anyway, I'm thrilled we have Tannehill whose promise seems to be the sky's the limit, but if we didn't draft him, I think we'd have been fine with this coaching staff and Matt going forward too.

Glad he made himself some money yesterday; I can think of a bunch of teams Moore would improve as their starter right now, including 2 in our own division. I wish him the best as he won't be back nor should he and only hope that he doesn't end up in The Meadowlands.

30. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

There are your 4 wins. You better adjust season prediction for this Miami Dolphins team. We still have more than half the season remaining with many more wins to come.

31. Hayden Fox

For a guy that thought this was a 3-5 win team, I am happy. We got to still remember this season is a process. Continue to look for progress.

32. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

I hated how Coyle went into a soft D at the end of the half and let them drive all the way down the field. Shoulda kept the pressure on as it was working. If it works dont fix it!

33. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Great write up Mr Fox. i especially like that you mentioned all the position coaches who's effort made this possible.

One sign of a great leader is the people he surrounds himself with. Philbin's staff is mainly college coaches with little or no NFL experience with the exception of the two coordinaters. i think they bring the college enthusiasm and spirit plus the ability to develop young talent that we have long needed.

Hope they post the locker room post game speech. Lots of game balls to give out this week. GO FINS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  34. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Yeah and Moore could've had MUCH more....If they had not called Bess down, and if Gaffney didn't short arm that sure TD pass.

35. The Trinity

The Trinity Active Member

Very good point!!