Here’s how the Miami Dolphins will look to clear cap space | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here’s how the Miami Dolphins will look to clear cap space

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Ndamukong%20Suh

Spending flexibility shouldn’t be a problem for the Dolphins this offseason.
We hear they plan to clear out substantial cap space over the next couple of months, and restructuring Ndamukong Suh’s contract is one vehicle that very much appeals to them.
The Dolphins want Suh back next season but plan to lower his $26.1 million cap hit.
The Dolphins could save $12 million in 2018 space by converting that amount into a signing bonus, which would reduce his hit to $14 million but come with future cap consequences down the road. A smaller restructuring is also a possibility.
The Dolphins enter the offseason with about $17 million in space. But a team source said the club believes it could clear out $60 million if it wants.
Here’s how that likely will be done:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article192426469.html

LOL at the idea of restructuring Suh.

Without extending the deal, all you would be doing is turning the very exitable 2020 year (currently at 4 million) and making that a 9 million dollar exit instead . . . Not to mention next years cap hit on him would balloon to over 32 million and turns an already tough dead cap release (13 million) into a whopping 18 million dollar hit.

More threads about Suh and not being worth a contract this time next year.

Plus he turns 31 on Saturday.

Does Miami ever plan to have any leverage on this deal?

Not saying Suh's play will take a steep decline or anything, but at some point Miami needs to have the upper hand here and if it means relying on young cheap contracts for a year over pursuing pricey FAs than so be it.

Restructure Wake and Pouncey as well or cut them

Wake would have to take a paycut. Doubt Miami approaches him with one. It is either outright release or keep him another year.

Pouncey's base just isn't out of line, even after a less than stellar year from him. If Miami feels him being healthy will be the norm, they are keeping him. Big if, but Gase has no interest in creating a hole at the center position if he doesn't have to. He has always liked Pouncey and he still does.

LOL at the idea of restructuring Suh.

Without extending the deal, all you would be doing is turning the very exitable 2020 year (currently at 4 million) and making that a 9 million dollar exit instead . . . Not to mention next years cap hit on him would balloon to over 32 million and turns an already tough dead cap release (13 million) into a whopping 18 million dollar hit.

More threads about Suh and not being worth a contract this time next year.

Plus he turns 31 on Saturday.

Does Miami ever plan to have any leverage on this deal?

Not saying Suh's play will take a steep decline or anything, but at some point Miami needs to have the upper hand here and if it means relying on young cheap contracts for a year over pursuing pricey FAs than so be it.
My question is, Isn't there any other way to do this restructuring so it isn't as devastating for the team in years to come? I for one wouldn't touch him, but the question stands.

I hope they do not restructure that god awful Suh contract. Lets quit kicking that rick down the road so we get a bigger hit if and when we get out of it. look elsewhere
I think their thought process is to delay/backload Suhs contract and by the time those huge numbers come they can get out of some of the other absurd contracts such as Alanso, Branch, etc.

Please stop the insanity. Leave that Suh contract alone. It was a big mistake in the first place and they just keep on making it worse every year
The other stuff is fine but Wake needs to take a pay cut as he's nothing more than a 3rd down guy now and I don't care who calls me crazy. We need another DE for sure
Pouncey I'd cut him too but Gase is blinded by him and calls him the "best Center in the NFL" which is stupid. He's not even the best Center on his family and I belive Brendel would do better

Ozzy rules!!

I’d let both Wakes’ and Suhs’ Contracts run their course and let them finish their careers as Dolphins. As for Tannehill, his contract #’s are similar for 2018 and 2019. He’s the guy I’d look to restructure, IF he comes back healthy in 2018. I’d roll will $40M cap space and not mess with Suh at all. It’s just not worth the cap negatives.

I'm resigned to the reality that Mike Pouncey is going to be on the team again in 2018.

I saw some comments from him about the scuffle in yesterday's game and all I can say is, that I hope he really meant what he said and that he's honestly improved as a person. If we're going to be stuck with him, I'd at least like to think he's matured to the point that he wouldn't wear another friggin' Free Hernandez hat.

I think their thought process is to delay/backload Suhs contract and by the time those huge numbers come they can get out of some of the other absurd contracts such as Alanso, Branch, etc.

I mean the dollars stay the same but god that just becomes an extremely ugly number to look at in 2019.

At least with Suh I feel like I am getting a guy who will remain hungry even as he ages.

But truthfully I wouldn't touch the thing and keep my out for 2020 on the table.

Just leave Suh's contract alone. They wanna make cuts and restructures elsewhere to free up money, fine. But with Suh's, just pay the piper as you go.

I'm resigned to the reality that Mike Pouncey is going to be on the team again in 2018.

I saw some comments from him about the scuffle in yesterday's game and all I can say is, that I hope he really meant what he said and that he's honestly improved as a person. If we're going to be stuck with him, I'd at least like to think he's matured to the point that he wouldn't wear another friggin' Free Hernandez hat.

I think when they gave him that initial extension they made it clear they expected him to be a better role model etc and he took that to heart- his play and health is another whole story.

We should not restructure Suh or Pouncey IMO

Back
Top Bottom