Here’s how the Miami Dolphins will look to clear cap space | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here’s how the Miami Dolphins will look to clear cap space

Great, another season where we have a starting center who doesn't practice with the rest of the offensive line. It worked so well in 2017, we might as well do it again.

I highly doubt that they free up the full $60M, but can we please fix the offensive line? Please? I'd say Davis has shown enough that he deserves a starting spot in 2018. We're stuck with Pouncey and Tunsil. I don't think Larsen is good enough. I'm not confident that Asiata is going to go from sitting out 2017 to being a starter in 2018. Maybe, Eric Smith starts at RT?

Why doesn't Gase see that Pouncey is not the answer at center? What is this love affair with Pouncey? Just frustrating.

There's no need to restructure Suh's contract. We can get $30+ million under the cap by just cutting Julius Thomas and JaWuan James. Restructuring Suh's contract will likely mean we have to give him more guaranteed money....isn't he getting enough already? Plus there are also other deadbeats we can cut to save...Pouncey ($7.0M), Larsen ($1.1M), Timmons ($5.5M), and even the mighty Cam Wake ($8.1M). I'd prefer to keep Timmons and Wake for 1 more year, but the rest can start their Uber careers.

Outside of signing Landry and some depth guys, we shouldn't be looking to go on a free agent spending spree. Going into the offseason with $30+ million in cap space is all you really need imo.

Im sure he will lose his stubborn ways in 2018, good to see HCs getting the ax

The real danger of pushing the dollars down the road is injury. He's been healthy to this point in his career, and the big gamble they are making by essentially locking him in through 2020 is that he will stay healthy. I think if he does, he will maintain his level of play with his work ethic. All that said, I want the ability to get out of the contract early if needed like you.
If we leave deal as is, we take $13m off books and have dead $15m

I mean the dollars stay the same but god that just becomes an extremely ugly number to look at in 2019.

At least with Suh I feel like I am getting a guy who will remain hungry even as he ages.

But truthfully I wouldn't touch the thing and keep my out for 2020 on the table.

The real risk of restructure Suh's contract again is injury. He has stayed healthy to this point in his career, but what they are gambling on in essentially locking Suh into the roster through 2020 is that he won't have injury problems going forward. IMHO with his attitude and work ethic, he will stay similarly productive IF he doesn't start missing games. All this said, I would prefer to leave his contract alone, and have an early out if necessary. I would look at extending Wake a year or two if the price is right. He's worth a decent chunk even as a part time pass rusher. I could see him lowering his cap number a bit and adding a year or two and in return and it being mutually beneficial. But again only if the price was right, and I am not talking about starting DE money. Again, his relative health and work ethic play a factor here even at his age.

If we leave deal as is, we take $13m off books and have dead $15m

I believe he is speaking about the 2020 out.

The 2019 out, although 13 million, is not an impossible option. Can be split 6.5 both years if need be. Highly doubt we do it, but having the option available benefits us.

Wake will be 36 years old next season. His play slipped some this season so he's going to continue to decline.

Play slipped? He had 10.5 sacks, if that’s slipping then sign me up for 3 more years. Btw that’s more than Von Miller and tied with Khalil Mack who are probably considered the two best edge rushers in the game. I’d love to see Wake’s pressure stats but I’d bet he ranks top 5 for pressures per rush. Hypothetically at his age he should slow down but I think we’ve all been saying that for 5 years now for Brady. Age means nothing, look at the guy he is shredded and highly motivated. Extend him another year give him 6.5 next year and 6.5 next year with incentives for 10 sacks or 50% of snaps again

Play slipped? He had 10.5 sacks, if that’s slipping then sign me up for 3 more years. Btw that’s more than Von Miller and tied with Khalil Mack who are probably considered the two best edge rushers in the game. I’d love to see Wake’s pressure stats but I’d bet he ranks top 5 for pressures per rush. Hypothetically at his age he should slow down but I think we’ve all been saying that for 5 years now for Brady. Age means nothing, look at the guy he is shredded and highly motivated. Extend him another year give him 6.5 next year and 6.5 next year with incentives for 10 sacks or 50% of snaps again

Wake is also cheap relative to front line pass rushers. I think there is a decent chance he is with us in 2019. There is also a decent chance he's not on the roster in 2018 too. I could see the decision making on Wake going either way.

The top 5 realistic ways (in order) Miami likely clears cap prior to FA or resigns.

1. Cut Julius Thomas (saves $6.6 million)
2. Rescind 5th year option on Juwan James (saves $9.341 million)
3. Cut Lawrence Timmons (saves $5.475 million)
4. Restructure/Extend Ryan Tannehill (varies: +/- $5 million saved on 2018 cap)
5. Cut Cam Wake (saves 8.125 million)

Roughly 35 million saved right there with those 5 moves.

LOL at the idea of restructuring Suh.

Without extending the deal, all you would be doing is turning the very exitable 2020 year (currently at 4 million) and making that a 9 million dollar exit instead . . . Not to mention next years cap hit on him would balloon to over 32 million and turns an already tough dead cap release (13 million) into a whopping 18 million dollar hit.

More threads about Suh and not being worth a contract this time next year.

Plus he turns 31 on Saturday.

Does Miami ever plan to have any leverage on this deal?

Not saying Suh's play will take a steep decline or anything, but at some point Miami needs to have the upper hand here and if it means relying on young cheap contracts for a year over pursuing pricey FAs than so be it.

Plus, if I'm Suh I'm not handcuffing myself to this team for the rest of my prime years for the same money.

Wake is also cheap relative to front line pass rushers. I think there is a decent chance he is with us in 2019. There is also a decent chance he's not on the roster in 2018 too. I could see the decision making on Wake going either way.

Yea the Wake move could be dependent on how the draft falls also. If they resign Fede for cheap and draft a guy like Ferrell or Chubb in round 1, Expect Miami to kick around some trade offers on the low and he could be a cap casualty ala Demarcus Ware was in Dallas, at a much younger age and a more complete player at the time.

The top 5 realistic ways (in order) Miami likely clears cap prior to FA or resigns.

1. Cut Julius Thomas (saves $6.6 million)
2. Rescind 5th year option on Juwan James (saves $9.341 million)
3. Cut Lawrence Timmons (saves $5.475 million)
4. Restructure/Extend Ryan Tannehill (varies: +/- $5 million saved on 2018 cap)
5. Cut Cam Wake (saves 8.125 million)

Roughly 35 million saved right there with those 5 moves.
Why#4?

He's still the franchise QB despite the ACL injuries. Miami would be crazy not to use those injuries to their advantage. His contract is still very reasonable and QB deals are only skyrocketing. Throw 2 or 3 more years on that deal at a similar rate, signing bonus $6 million from 2018 to save on the cap and throw some injury provisions in there to cover your ass.

Back
Top Bottom