Heres why CHRIS Long doesn't make sense at number 1,and JAKE Long does | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Heres why CHRIS Long doesn't make sense at number 1,and JAKE Long does

I want my #1 pick LT to be the best LT in the draft. One reason I think he wont be a good LT is VERNON GHOLSTON owning him.

Although I am not a Jake Long supporter, I think it is unfair to say Vernon Gholston owned him. The reality is that Vernon Gholston owned him a few times in rather embarrassing fashion. What might also might be a little concerning is that Heyward owned Long on one occasion as well.

That said, these instances show that he is not an elite left tackle prospect worthy of the top pick, in my opinion of course. They do not however lend credence to the idea that Gholston "owned" Long. He didn't. However, I do get the impression that he would have "owned" Long is he would have tried hard on every play instead of occasionally.

Jake Long and the best available OG/OT at #32 is intriguing. It is possible to fix the offensive line in a single season.

LT Jake Long
LG Jake Scott
C Samson Satele
RG #32 pick
RT Vernon Carey

This line could stay intact for 4 to 5 years. The payoff in year 3 of a consistent offensive line would be huge. These picks do not maximize the team talent, but this would allow Beck and the QB picked with our additional second pick to develop. Ronnie, Ricky, and LoBo all benefit from the improved offensive line.

Explain to me why...a team with a whole at nearly every position, would waste a #1 pick on the deepest position in the draft?

Easily...EEAAASSILLYY get a Tackle in Rd2. Waste of a pick at #1, take Vernon if you don't like C. Long.

Jake Long and the best available OG/OT at #32 is intriguing. It is possible to fix the offensive line in a single season.

LT Jake Long
LG Jake Scott
C Samson Satele
RG #32 pick
RT Vernon Carey

This line could stay intact for 4 to 5 years. The payoff in year 3 of a consistent offensive line would be huge. These picks do not maximize the team talent, but this would allow Beck and the QB picked with our additional second pick to develop. Ronnie, Ricky, and LoBo all benefit from the improved offensive line.

Will people please let Ricky Williams go? He's what, 31? You think he's going to have an impact at all?

I think Jake Long and Alan Faneca would be just fine. Let's spend our free agent dollars elsewhere-like linebacker or DB, draft a DT in the second or third rounds-Sims from Auburn or Dre Moore with our 3rd round, take a reciever with the second 2nd round pick, and drapth for depth and prospects with the rest.

I agree you can get Anthony Collins in round two and not pay number one money for that position. I would take McFadden number one. We scored 16.6 points per game last year. I want the home run hitter. He can make that big money pay us back in points and wins. We can address the defense at the 2b pick, three, four, etc. The draft is very deep. Probably why there was such parity in college this year. I’m glad we have a good scout team in place. I think we are in good hands.
Read this:

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/darren_mcfaddden_arkansas.htm

==========================================================
Chris Long-
Sure,he is a great player,probably one of the best motors in the draft.However,people are saying that he is too small to be an end in the NFL.And I'm thinking to myself...6'4 aint small...then someone pointed out his weight.....and I was like....oh yea thats true,he needs to be at least 290-300 pounds,and he he is only 272....and that also brought up another RED FLAG,I'm not saying that he is slow,but he isn't that fast,and adding another 20-30lbs. ain't helping,and is going to make him even slower(AGAIN IM NOT SAYING HE IS SLOW).Parcells and Sparano said that they want the players to fit the system,and Chris doesn't fit that,so I don't think its neccessary to draft him.

Also,another RED FLAG, is that if he is too small to be a DE,that he will have to play OLB.And Im just thinking to myself....who takes a LB that high?The last LB that high i think was Lavaar Arrington like 7-8 years ago,but that was at pick number two,but look what happened to him,an underacheiving career(IM NOT SAYING CHRIS LONG WILL HAVE THAT KIND OF CAREER).I just think that MIAMI will find good OLB's later in the draft,which is what Parcells and Ireland thrive on.Chris will be great to have,dont get me wrong,but,I think taking him 1st overall really doesnt make sense.If we go defense first,my vote is for the one and only,Vernon Gholston.
Jake Long-
He reaped on Monday at the combine.He only let 2 players past him when he played OT(let one by on the right,and let on by on the left).Jake played RT for the first two years at Michigan,and played the last two at LT.Jake is a Parcells player,6'7",315,excellent pass blocking skills,and adaquate run blocking skills.Jake put up 47 reps. at one point at 225,yet at the combine he only but up 10 less than that,still impressive though.Jake Long fills a need that no one on our current team cannot.Carey,IMO,belongs as a guard,best case scenerio a RT.He just isn't the answer at LT,he just doesnt have the "it" that requires player at LT,and I think that Jake does.

P.S.

If you still think Chris Long is the right guy,just keep this in mind,we had GOOD DE's over the past years,and how many of them were Pro-Bowlers?

A couple...and where did that get us?:unsure:

Sure,Chris Long can be a Pro-Bowler,but would you rather have another Jason Taylor(great player on a team that doesn't go anywhere,let alone the playoffs),rather than try something different,and build on an area that is a MUST(we have been missing for QUITE some time).....:D

Basically,what I am saying is,this team has been broke for a long time,and drafting another DE isn't going to fix it,and it's about time to fix it....but and only but,in a new way
I agree with some of the points you made about Chris Long.He doesnt make sense at #1 especially when Gholston Is available.I dont think Miami is going to run a 3-4 base next year either.I think its going to be the same hybrid that Quentin Groves eluded to when he interviewed with the dolphins at the combine.In the end Miami is last against the run ,and teams rebuild from the inside out.We wont pick chris because he is to similar to gholston ,we wont take Jake because Flozell is cheaper,we wont take Ryan because its to risky ,and we wont take Mcfadden because we have Brown. If we stay at #1 Its Dorsey If we trade out Its Gholston.

great post, i don't feel chris is too small though and he also had a strong 40 time so speed isn't an issue, jake would be a good pick because he is a need that doesn't make mistakes (2 flags in his 4 years) and only 2 sacks alowed, one coming against vernon gholston.

Not saying we should or shouldn't pick him but 272 pounds is not small for a DE...Jason weighs less than that.

It is kind of small for a 3-4 defensive scheme. in a 3-4 scheme each line player have to weigh about 10 -15 more lbs than a 4-3 because they have 1 less guy there.

Back
Top Bottom