hoops scoops...Miami makeover...2014 oline draft prospects targets and grades... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...Miami makeover...2014 oline draft prospects targets and grades...

Ya I meant at #19 for Xavier, or a prime candidate for a trade down. And fair enough on the McGill kid, I'd take a shot late. Interesting that you don't have Yankey on here, not that I disagree cause he's sort of fringy. My favorites are probably Brandon Thomas, Trai Turner and Brandon Thomas. I'm a round higher on each of them than you, rest of it is similar. Patchan I'd look at as a UFA.

yankey looks realgood within 3 yards of the los...can win quickly...has some lead in the pencil...but the further down the field he goes the more off balance and on the ground he is...good prospect i just see a power scheme being his fit...tested poorly too...sluggish and slow...he's not that poor a athlete on tape but he's out of control sometimes with his feet...trying to get to stuff in too much space athletically he just can't...

i thought about it for a while cause he's heady and he may be able to play right tackle in a pinch and he won't kill you with anything he does...but if i'm looking to get to a philly like oline he's not gonna help me get there...

especially considering how high the likely pick would have to be...

Nice writeup.

Did you do a similar write up last year? Did Dallas Thomas make it on your list? And Brennen and the other scrub?
With Benton and Bicknell onboard does the ol prototype change?

Nice writeup.

Did you do a similar write up last year? Did Dallas Thomas make it on your list? And Brennen and the other scrub?
With Benton and Bicknell onboard does the ol prototype change?

yes i did and dallas thomas was not on my targets list...not sure who the other scrub you are referring to is but if it was will davis he was also not on my list as i did not like the player...dion sims as a 4th rounder was and mike gillislee was...

brenner was not listed

Hoops you see Z. Martin as a LT or LG

Keep hearing dude is too short for OT at the next level.

I don't think height is the issue, the problem are the short arms. Jordan Gross, who just retired, is 6'4 1/2" but he has long arms.

I don't think height is the issue, the problem are the short arms. Jordan Gross, who just retired, is 6'4 1/2" but he has long arms.

32 3/4 like zach martins though is not that bad...basically a little over an inch shorter than ideal...i don't think at right tackle it will be that much of an issue...

We've talked about Matthews vs Robinson, and I get your reasoning. I don't agree with the conclusion, but that's a different thing.

I have a tougher time with Martin over Lewan. Lewan is as refined as you'd like, and he has the much higher upside. As I've said, Lewan reminds me a lot of Joe Staley. Martin's versatility would be a welcome addition to a line littered with holes, but I wouldn't pass up a high-end LT for him.

I'd be happy with Trai Turner in the 4th. You've noted the risk, and it's legit, but he has All Pro upside, and he has some good tape - especially in the running game. Great scheme fit, too.

Nice write up Mr hoops.

So what are the chances Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, and Martin are off the board when we pick at 19? I'm thinking we have to use a 1st rounder, or at the very minimum a 2nd rounder on an OL, being that we can't wait for our OL draft picks to develop. We need players that can start immediately.

We've talked about Matthews vs Robinson, and I get your reasoning. I don't agree with the conclusion, but that's a different thing.

I have a tougher time with Martin over Lewan. Lewan is as refined as you'd like, and he has the much higher upside. As I've said, Lewan reminds me a lot of Joe Staley. Martin's versatility would be a welcome addition to a line littered with holes, but I wouldn't pass up a high-end LT for him.

I'd be happy with Trai Turner in the 4th. You've noted the risk, and it's legit, but he has All Pro upside, and he has some good tape - especially in the running game. Great scheme fit, too.

lewan plays a position of more value in the pros as i see it...left tackle...but he's got skeletons in his closet that drop the grade for me a little...well that and a reported quirky personality which may be misunderstood...where have we seen that before??? hmmm...miami can't afford or won't allow itself to get into another jon martin like fiasco i think character and leadership in the lockerroom will be extremely important going forward and well zach martins an a+ with that and a really good player in his own right...plus offers much needed versatility...that's pretty much why he's rated slightly higher

if you have lewan over martin i don't have a problem with it given the position value in the pros...character and in the lockeroom is what separated em for me in the end...

if turner goes in the 3rd to us i wouldn't have a problem with it...a lot of meat on the bone there...right guard would get a whole lot more move athletic...there'd be a learning curve cause he's a little raw

My issue with Lewan is the number of penalties he gets...way too many and way too many of them are of the 15-yard type. Not sure I like the mental makeup there.

Nice write up Mr hoops.

So what are the chances Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, and Martin are off the board when we pick at 19? I'm thinking we have to use a 1st rounder, or at the very minimum a 2nd rounder on an OL, being that we can't wait for our OL draft picks to develop. We need players that can start immediately.

my position after studying the draft and knowing our situation is if i'm miami i'm getting my left tackle and left guard in free agency and my right tacklein the draft...there's plug and play right tackle in the draft...where we are picking left tackle scheme fit is gonna be tough...and finding left tackles with the movement skills and plug and play ability in the later rounds we want for the scheme looks dicey to say the least...the only other guy i might trust to start on the left side from the get go is jawuan james cause of his pass pro play but he's anything but an ideal fit...

i'd much rather get the left tackle as a proven veteran...and i'm sure philbin being his life is riding on it would too vs a rookie...

right guard you can find that...

mathews robinson both going top 6 lewan could go to the giants at #12 if he's on their board could fall out of the top 20 if he's off boards...lewan the only shot we'd have...i feel pretty confident zach martin is there at #19 if we want him...

I watched Billy Turner a lot in college. I think some of his bad habits came because he so dominated most of his competition in FCS. I really liked how he performed at the Senior Bowl. Always seemed to get to the second level. I could see him at right tackle in Miami. Seems like a good kid and bought into the "team" concept at NDSU. Definitely knows about winning with three national championships! He always played well in the playoffs.

Part of Matt Patchan's injury history is getting shot in the shoulder at a park and two motor scooter accidents. He blew out his ACL, broke his wrist and tore a pectoral muscle on top of that, but if the injuries are behind him I think that he can play. He looked solid at the combine and ripped off a 4.84 40 at the combine on his first run, I think with a 1.59 10 yard split as well. I'd take a late round shot on him, not sure what pick or picks were sent to the Ravens in the McKinnie deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Gh5N_hM6g

Hoops is right fix the Left T in FA and select the BPA at 19 - I like Dix and Ebron and find a RT and RBs in rd 2 and 3 or DT in rd 2 if we select a Wr or TE at 19 - we can't start a pure Rook at L. Tackle

Based off where we are now I would be a big fan of adding Billy Turner in the 3rd and Trai Turner in the 4th. Maybe we get lucky and can scoop up Strief but that remains to be seen. My guess is they would take someone earlier than the 3rd though if that was the case. Adding one more starter via FA would be huge..but there really aren't many guarantees out there.

my position after studying the draft and knowing our situation is if i'm miami i'm getting my left tackle and left guard in free agency and my right tacklein the draft...there's plug and play right tackle in the draft...where we are picking left tackle scheme fit is gonna be tough...and finding left tackles with the movement skills and plug and play ability in the later rounds we want for the scheme looks dicey to say the least...the only other guy i might trust to start on the left side from the get go is jawuan james cause of his pass pro play but he's anything but an ideal fit...

i'd much rather get the left tackle as a proven veteran...and i'm sure philbin being his life is riding on it would too vs a rookie...

right guard you can find that...

mathews robinson both going top 6 lewan could go to the giants at #12 if he's on their board could fall out of the top 20 if he's off boards...lewan the only shot we'd have...i feel pretty confident zach martin is there at #19 if we want him...

You called it hoops.. We got our lt and lg in fa.. Seems like a rt in the first 2 rounds and we are set

Back
Top Bottom