How far can Fiedler take us?? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How far can Fiedler take us??

NathanHunt said:
Don't hand over all of those toys (that JF never had) to a new QB and say "SEE, I told ya so". That's an unfair comparison.
Nice post NHunt. I agree that JF has been the scapegoat. Big time. However, i think the talent has been there before. Last year we were excited about Derrius thompson much like we are now about DB. I happen to think DB will return to form and have a great season, but more importantly is how we use all these weapons!!!

We have had experienced, legitimate Offensive coordinators the last few years... yet for some friggin reason we are the most predictable offense in the league. I have always chocked this up to inopportune injuries at QB, receiver, or O-line that has not allowed us to gel and mix it up. But I am no longer making excuses... the new emphasis on offense better be for real or we are doomed for the same crap.

The bottom line is that we have stacked the talent, and more importantly the depth so that we can survive the inevitable injuries. JF or AJF will be fine if the coaches give them a chance. MIX IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!:fire:

Mix it up? Sounds like a good idea... but you are LIMITED by what your QB can do. Jay can scramble and... and... uh, he...

Jay can scramble. :D

Let me ask this everybody: How would YOU defend the Miami offense? Stack the line and stop Ricky? Of course you would. Just as every D we faced last year knew that. You take your chances with Jay tossing passes because he is too INCONSISTENT to be much of a threat.

Will that change with Boston around? Frankly, I doubt it. Jay's arm strength and accuracy remain poor. So if Jay starts again, we see the stacked lines and Ricky has little room to run. Yeah, the OL was crap last year, but guess what? Jay couldn't get it done in 2002 when Ricky LEAD THE LEAGUE in rushing yards!! :mad:

Bottom line, it is past time for a new QB. We had all better hope Feeley works out.

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
Jay couldn't get it done in 2002 when Ricky LEAD THE LEAGUE in rushing yards!!

Jay went 7-3 that year with the losses at Minn and NE not his fault. Could have easily been 9-1. How is that not getting it done? His backup went 2-4.

If Fiedler has never been any good, why didn't teams stack the line and stop Ricky in 2002? Did it really take def coordinators 3 years to catch on to Jay?

Or maybe the offensive line didn't play as well... couldn't thay just be the main reason?

If Jay Fiedler can regain his 2002 form and stay healthy, he should be capable of quarterbacking a playoff team.

I analyzed his 2002 numbers and put them against the season numbers for last year's playoff quarterbacks.

Fiedler

QB RATING: 85.2
TD/INT RATIO: 1.56
TDs PER GAME: 1.27

These numbers compare favorably with five of last year's 12 playoff QBs:

Kyle Boller, Donovan McNabb, Quincy Carter, Marc Bulger and Jake Delhomme.

They pale in varying degrees compared to the remaining seven playoff QBs:

Tom Brady, Trent Green, Jake Plummer, Steve McNair, Matt Hasselbeck, Brett Favre and Peyton manning.

Will that change with Boston around? Frankly, I doubt it. Jay's arm strength and accuracy remain poor. So if Jay starts again, we see the stacked lines and Ricky has little room to run.

I DARE ANY D to stack the line and single cover CC and DB.... the skill level has changed. It's easy to quickly say "I doubt it." when you are comparing DB to DT.... Let's back up and rethink this....

DB is a good if not great downfield blocker, possesses great speed and has great hands. I don't think that IS DT.

Go ahead.. STACK the line... who shall it be?

DB 10 - 15 yards deep (who is difficult to single man tackle)...
CC 15 - 20 yards deep (who might turn in additional YAC)...
RM 5 - 10 yards deep (who might hurdle the first guy and get more YAC)..

PUH LEASE STACK THE LINE.

I Triple Dog Dare You!

BSQX4 said:
The guy throws the bonehead pick at the worst times. he seems to always do it in big games and it kills us dead. I'm rooting for Feeley. I hope he's better.

And you think Jay Fiedler is the only qb who makes mistakes in crucial moments. Happens to the best of em buddy.

But then you also have to look at the times where he carried the offense in the final minutes. Read NathanHunt's post, and that's just a few. And he didn't have too many weapons to help him with these last minute drives.

You guys all look at this thing too 1 dimensionally. Your attitude is, "well we haven't won anything in 4 years with Fielder so lets kick him out the back door."

News Flash, We haven't won anything in over 30 years, long before Fiedler's time with the dolphins. For the past few years, most of our cap space has been devoured by the defense. That's all we've done since Fiedler was named the starter... Is stack the Defense.

So too call for this average QB's head, when he's been trying to lead an Offense with mostly nobodys is completely assinine. If he still sucks with a decent supporting cast. Then, and only then, will it be fair to give Fiedler the axe.

pigskinguy said:
Hmmm,
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Steve McNair
David Carr
Jake Plummer
Mark Brunell
Patrick Ramsey
Donovan McNabb
Jeff Garcia
Brett Favre
Daunte Culpepper
Mick Vick
Aaron Brooks
Marc Bulger
Matt Hasselbeck

Well that is 14 teams with a better QB than Feidler-and in 1 case, the Redskins, they have 2-so I guess if your definition of a handful is 14 than yeah you're right.
There was 7 more who I catergorized as debatable. But I choose to just pick the obvious one.

7 more that you named "debatable? Half the guys you got on that list are debatable.

Brooks?
Carr?
Garcia? I don't know about all that.

maybe I meant a dozen... But the point is, he fits in right about the middle of the pack of starting QBs out there. Which Means we are in better shape at QB then AT LEAST 17 other teams.

Now start naming all the other starting QBs around the league. And suddenly Fiedler doesn't seem nearly as bad as many of you make him out to be.

Dolphinizzle said:
7 more that you named "debatable? Half the guys you got on that list are debatable.

Brooks?
Carr?

maybe I meant a dozen... But the point is, he fits in right about the middle of the pack of starting QBs out there. Which Means we are in better shape at QB then AT LEAST 17 other teams.

Now start naming all the other starting QBs around the league. And suddenly Fiedler doesn't seem nearly as bad as many of you make him out to be.

And keep in mind that a repeat of Fiedler's 2002 season would have put him in the middle of the pack of last year's PLAYOFF quarterbacks.

The question is: can he regain that form?

Dolphinizzle said:

Brooks?
Carr?

You are off your rocker if you would rather have Feidler over Brooks or Carr. Garcia, MAYBE I can see the debate. But Brooks or Carr......C'mon.
The name I didn't mention but would say are at least debatable:
Chad Pennington
Drew Bledsoe
Tim Couch
Byron Leftwich
Trent Green
Joey Harrington
Jake Delhomme

Got to make the move take AJ and Sage and coach them up. Feidler will not get us to the promise land. He wiil get us a low 20s draft pick and nothing more. THE CHANGE MUST BE MADE!:shark:

Man, where to start? Okay, here goes...

First of all, Jay CANNOT stay healthy for a whole season (one out of four years) so that is a serious concern. What are the odds he plays every game this season? About 25% based on past years? He is NEVER the same after he gets back either, even after he starts out playing pretty good.

Durability means dependability, and an offense that can get in sync as the season goes on. Jay is "not getting it done" because he is injured too much.

Furthermore, I don't care how Jay's potential stats look on paper, because he won't be there the whole season, and will play like crap after he does come back from injury. While I think about it, EVERY other team in the NFL had a shot at getting Jay to start for them. Not one team wanted him. A couple made half-hearted noise about getting him as a #2 QB. Am I alone in thinking Jay isn't good enough? Guess not, huh?

Will other teams stack the line with such blatant disregard for Chambers and Boston? Yeah, most will. The other option is to let Ricky grind you down, so you have to play run first. Besides the fact Wanny will keep it conservative anyway. I'd try and disguise the coverage a bit, bringing up a safety close to the snap and so on.

Let me make this clear though... Jay MUST PROVE he can make teams pay for single coverage on Boston and Chambers BEFORE most will back off the line. Can he do it? :shakeno:

Jay is an AVERAGE QB, a little better on some days, worse on others. Sure with a dominant D and/or OL he could take the Phins deep into the postseason. About ANY average QB could, right?

We have a good, but not great D, and hardly a dominant OL (hopefully much improved though). So Jay has to be BETTER than average to make up for what other parts of the team lack. He can't. He won't.

Five years of Jay starting??? Is that what you guys want? :confused: Isn't four years enough to prove Jay is simply not good enough? I hope Feeley makes all this pointless ranting by playing to the potential Rick saw in him. If not, we MUST find another QB option other than Fiedler.

fiedler wont be taking us anywhere,,,feeley is going to be the starter...

Count me in as thinking Jay can do it. Count me in as thinking Jay will win the starting spot cause Wanny loves experience and is loyal to his guys. Jay is one of his guys.

AJ can't even afford for it to be close. He is going to have to seperate himself from Jay in preseason or Wanny is going to make him backup....

As far as the O-line can take him. Jay's performance is a wash. He, himself, wins some and loses some but the O-line HAS to be great this season if the Phins are going to make noise in the playoffs.

Look at the caliber of QB's hwo have won the Lombardi trophy in the last 5 years. Something tells me I won't be seeing many of them in Canton in 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom