How far can Fiedler take us?? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How far can Fiedler take us??

Jay has had four years to show what he can do. Let's see...

1) Jay is injury prone, gets hurt nearly every season.

2) Jay lacks arm strength and accuracy.

3) Jay saves his very worst perfomances for the big games or playoffs. The stats prove this out. He has padded his win/loss record over the years by helping beat the average or below-average teams.

4) Jay is well known by D coordinators, who can stack the line and not fear his deep passing skills. This is getting Ricky killed!

IF Jay starts this year, we get a 9-10 win season, losing the important games (read: playoff caliber teams) and a quick exit if we even get to the postseason.

The guy throws the bonehead pick at the worst times. he seems to always do it in big games and it kills us dead. I'm rooting for Feeley. I hope he's better.

I've been a member of the Fielder debate for years. I've seen a few posts in this thread that are VERY slanted. Fiedler not showing up for the big game? Fielder not being able to win a game by himself?

Oakland Raiders touchdown dive, Denver Broncos last drive with a broken thumb... Washington Redskins comeback win after sitting on bench whole game..... just to mention a few.

As I have said... I hope the best QB wins. I love JF. He has gutsy intangibles that define a leader. He may not have all the tools... but what he does have very few possess. He is a field "general" in a sense. Not statistically... but with courage. His troops (teammates) follow him into battle with great enthusiasm (Redskins comeback). You can't just replace a guy like that. Marino had the same swagger about him. Guys listened to him. Guys listen to Jay.

If you recall, in the Denver game, he TOLD Dedric Ward to get open... he TOLD him he was getting the ball. With broken thumb and a guy in his face... he threw a tipped pass IN WARD'S DIRECTION. Ward went after the ball to make the play. He did it because he followed his leader. PHANS, that kind of battlefield respect is not found in every leader.

No one can debate the fact the Denver game was one of the best PHINZ games in the past 10 years. Even as PHANS, we KNEW we were going to win. Every time they scored, we KNEW we were going to answer. That was probably JF's greatest moment to date.

No poster on this board can deny the feeling that game gave us. The pride after winning a (at the time) clash of titans.

I admit JF has his shortcomings and faults. But, at least admit he has given us some great games. And stop reviewing his career like he has NEVER done anything amazing for this team and it's fans.

Previous posts in this thread and others refer to the HORRIBLE OL Fiedler has had in his tenure. And, until RW came along, he had a mediocre back field. And, he's not always had CC and RM. Fiedler did a lot on his own. At best, he has been surrounded by mediocre talent at times.

As far as the Peyton comparison... it's not a fair one... Fielder never had Harrison and James. He's had RW and CC, but not nearly as long. Not too mention, PM has the luxury of the SAME coordinator for how long? A team that has ALWAYS focused on O. His stats reflect his team's commitment to O. Just NOW have they started to play D.
Look at any great QB's career. It starts up front with a SOLID line and AT LEAST a great RB or great WR. CC is not quite Owens or Rice or Harrison. He MIGHT get there, but not yet. JF just not got DB to go with CC and you want to NOT give him a chance with such talent. ANY QB will have better #s this year (compared to JF last year) with our NEW commitment to O. The coaches changes and FO shakeup will clean out some of the problems around JF. Give him the use of DB, RW, CC, RM AND a solid line for 1 year, then make your remarks.

Don't hand over all of those toys (that JF never had) to a new QB and say "SEE, I told ya so". That's an unfair comparison. It's like the parent's who make the oldest son EARN everything and GIVE everything to the youngest son. The youngest is the favorite and is given every chance to succeed. He had help to succeed. Meanwhile, the oldest does mediocre with the cards stacked against him and he is considered a failure. Give JF help to succeed. Don't stack the cards.

And, as I have said.. if JF gets hurt again and AJF comes in and succeeds, GREAT! But, at least give JF 1 chance to Bill Cosby his team and succeed. Oh, and one other note... this great D we have is so great it allows other teams to score winning drives late in games to help us LOSE. JF maybe the martar, but he's not the whole reason.
Get it right and understand that TEAMS win and TEAMS lose.

Just because you hate JF doesn't mean you still can't be fair in your criticism.

And, if you still want to bash JF.... then bash Madison as well.... as I've said before...

Sam Madison is still sitting on the field, in a lawn chair, watching Troy Brown score the winning TD and run straight to the SB. JF had nothing to do with that.

NathanHunt said:
I've been a member of the Fielder debate for years. I've seen a few posts in this thread that are VERY slanted. Fiedler not showing up for the big game? Fielder not being able to win a game by himself?

Oakland Raiders touchdown dive, Denver Broncos last drive with a broken thumb... Washington Redskins comeback win after sitting on bench whole game..... just to mention a few.

As I have said... I hope the best QB wins. I love JF. He has gutsy intangibles that define a leader. He may not have all the tools... but what he does have very few possess. He is a field "general" in a sense. Not statistically... but with courage. His troops (teammates) follow him into battle with great enthusiasm (Redskins comeback). You can't just replace a guy like that. Marino had the same swagger about him. Guys listened to him. Guys listen to Jay.

If you recall, in the Denver game, he TOLD Dedric Ward to get open... he TOLD him he was getting the ball. With broken thumb and a guy in his face... he threw a tipped pass IN WARD'S DIRECTION. Ward went after the ball to make the play. He did it because he followed his leader. PHANS, that kind of battlefield respect is not found in every leader.

No one can debate the fact the Denver game was one of the best PHINZ games in the past 10 years. Even as PHANS, we KNEW we were going to win. Every time they scored, we KNEW we were going to answer. That was probably JF's greatest moment to date.

No poster on this board can deny the feeling that game gave us. The pride after winning a (at the time) clash of titans.

I admit JF has his shortcomings and faults. But, at least admit he has given us some great games. And stop reviewing his career like he has NEVER done anything amazing for this team and it's fans.

Previous posts in this thread and others refer to the HORRIBLE OL Fiedler has had in his tenure. And, until RW came along, he had a mediocre back field. And, he's not always had CC and RM. Fiedler did a lot on his own. At best, he has been surrounded by mediocre talent at times.

As far as the Peyton comparison... it's not a fair one... Fielder never had Harrison and James. He's had RW and CC, but not nearly as long. Not too mention, PM has the luxury of the SAME coordinator for how long? A team that has ALWAYS focused on O. His stats reflect his team's commitment to O. Just NOW have they started to play D.
Look at any great QB's career. It starts up front with a SOLID line and AT LEAST a great RB or great WR. CC is not quite Owens or Rice or Harrison. He MIGHT get there, but not yet. JF just not got DB to go with CC and you want to NOT give him a chance with such talent. ANY QB will have better #s this year (compared to JF last year) with our NEW commitment to O. The coaches changes and FO shakeup will clean out some of the problems around JF. Give him the use of DB, RW, CC, RM AND a solid line for 1 year, then make your remarks.

Don't hand over all of those toys (that JF never had) to a new QB and say "SEE, I told ya so". That's an unfair comparison. It's like the parent's who make the oldest son EARN everything and GIVE everything to the youngest son. The youngest is the favorite and is given every chance to succeed. He had help to succeed. Meanwhile, the oldest does mediocre with the cards stacked against him and he is considered a failure. Give JF help to succeed. Don't stack the cards.

And, as I have said.. if JF gets hurt again and AJF comes in and succeeds, GREAT! But, at least give JF 1 chance to Bill Cosby his team and succeed. Oh, and one other note... this great D we have is so great it allows other teams to score winning drives late in games to help us LOSE. JF maybe the martar, but he's not the whole reason.
Get it right and understand that TEAMS win and TEAMS lose.

Just because you hate JF doesn't mean you still can't be fair in your criticism.

And, if you still want to bash JF.... then bash Madison as well.... as I've said before...

Sam Madison is still sitting on the field, in a lawn chair, watching Troy Brown score the winning TD and run straight to the SB. JF had nothing to do with that.

Nice post. I agree with your assessment of Fiedler's accomplishments.

While I admre the good things that Fiedler has done, I think there should be an open competition for the starting QB position. I think Fiedler's play dropped off last year. Its time for Fiedler and Feeley to compete for the job.

I totally agree with competition. And, whomever wins... WINS. But, if JF wins, don't say "here we go again"... when we haven't been down this path with this much talent since his tenure.

I welcome competition Buffalo..... and there are times, even though I like the youth and up side that Feeley offers, I'd like to see Jay win the competition, win in the season and win in the playoffs and finally make his statement to the press....

"SEE, I told YOU so".

I've always loved the underdog.

Whomever wins.. good luck to both.

NathanHunt said:
I totally agree with competition. And, whomever wins... WINS. But, if JF wins, don't say "here we go again"... when we haven't been down this path with this much talent since his tenure.

I welcome competition Buffalo..... and there are times, even though I like the youth and up side that Feeley offers, I'd like to see Jay win the competition, win in the season and win in the playoffs and finally make his statement to the press....

"SEE, I told YOU so".

I've always loved the underdog.

Whomever wins.. good luck to both.

Agreed. I hope it is an extremely close competition. It will be nice to have a 2nd string QB that can come in and win a few games if necessary.....

I just thought I'd add a little bit to the Peyton debate.... Being from KY... I see a LOT of SEC football.

Last year Peyton FINALLY won a playoff game and got to the Championship game.....

However, he did NOT go to the SB or WIN IT. When in the SEC, he received the label of "unable to deliver in the big game". Peyton never could be Florida. And he never won a national championship. Never even played in the title game.

Now, he comes to the NFL and he can't win a championship game. Sounds like a recurring nightmare for him. He's been given the label of the greatest QB in the game. He's considered a QB genious. Kinda reminds you of Marino at times. I guess when Peyton's career is over he'll get another label, "A great QB.... who never won the SB". Just like Marino. (I love Marino btw).

When I see the treatment he and his family get from teams, fans and the media, makes me wanna barf. He's been given a status, WHILE still playing, that most QBs (even the greatest) only get in their twilight or retirement.

Eli is now the greatest thing since sliced Peyton and he hasn't even thrown a pass.... makes me sick.

BTW, Peyton STILL hasn't won a title. You'd think with all that greateness, it would translate into something... wouldn't ya?

:cooldude:

Yes... Tennessee finally won it all... the year AFTER Peyton left. I think it was the duo of Tee Martin and Travis Henry that won it....

Football is a team sport, and to blame JF for every loss or win is azzinine. I have been a JF supporter until this offseason. His worst attributes are that he cannot stay healthy, and never seems to get back to where he was once injured and he has a penchant for making bonehead plays that seem to occur at the worst times. It seems that he throws an INT when the OCs are trying to sit on a lead, which in turn gives the other team an opportunity. His inconsistency is apparent as the season goes on. There are games that he is just awful. He has a lot of the intangibles, but just can't seem to breakout as a "successful" QB. The rest of the team senses when this letdown that he has occurs, and they letdown too. (Pats at home last year). We played well enough to be there at the end, but Fiedler could not hit the broad side of a barn in the 4th quarter of that game. You blame the D for giving up points in the 4th quarter, but the fact is that the O could not keep drives going when it counted. They settled for FGs instead of TDs too often. Our O has not put another team out of a game since the Jets two years ago at home. I can't recall last season thinking "ok, we got this one" with more than 2 mins left in the game. Our offense has to show up when it is needed and control the other teams. That starts with the QB, Fiedler has shown that he can't do this. It is time for a change....

Hank said something yesterday on the radio that struck me...he asked a caller what he expected at the end of last season...we all expected a new GM, a new coach, and a new QB or at least one of the these things. Well, RS is the GM, that's a change, but in the mind of most of us, not what we expected. The coach is the same. The QB has to change. His point was that the 7 or 8 candidates that came in and interviewed said that those were the 3 things we had to look at changing to get farther. Well, based on that, AJ WILL be our QB come Sept. Otherwise, nothing has really changed.....and we can look forward to the same results....

Dolphinizzle said:
Fiedler is a good QB. Not great.. But good. I believe Fiedler has the ability to take us all the way with the weapons and protection he now has. If we see Fiedler at the helm again. He will seem like an entirely different guy from the Fiedler we saw throughout the 2003 season.

If you compare Fiedler to the rest of the starting QBs around the league. I bet you would only think of a handful that are better. Not just in statistics. But all around ability to run the offense. He's not nearly as bad as a lot of these dolfans seem to think he is IMO.

Hmmm,
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Steve McNair
David Carr
Jake Plummer
Mark Brunell
Patrick Ramsey
Donovan McNabb
Jeff Garcia
Brett Favre
Daunte Culpepper
Mick Vick
Aaron Brooks
Marc Bulger
Matt Hasselbeck

Well that is 14 teams with a better QB than Feidler-and in 1 case, the Redskins, they have 2-so I guess if your definition of a handful is 14 than yeah you're right.
There was 7 more who I catergorized as debatable. But I choose to just pick the obvious one.

Well, One thing is for sure.
Any topic regarding Fiedler is sure to generate many passionate responses.

So I feel the need to join in and offer up my opinions.

I agree with what I think is the majority of you, WE HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF JAY!!!!!
I don't know yet about AJ, but I have watched Fiedler for every game he's played in the last four years, and the best thing I can say is that he's not Ray Lucas.

He does have moments when he looks like he's put it together, but they are moments.

He isn't and will never be consistant.
Add that to his weak arm, inaccuracy and tendency to get injured and I don't see how we can feel confident in him as the starter.

Even if the team is strong enough to make the playoff's, if the better teams don't fear the passing game they will make life difficult for Ricky, we saw that last year.

I really don't see what Wannstadt see's in the guy, he actually sais a couple of years back that Jay could do anything that Trent Green can do.
PLEASE!!!

I mentioned it once before, if possible I would take a shot at Kerry Collins, he has the arm strength, accuracy and does not get injured.

My feeling is if Jay is the starter again, we will not go very far in the playoffs if we even make it at all.

The best thought about that is that for sure we would have seen the last of him and Wannstadt after this season.

ncinque said:
Well, One thing is for sure.
Any topic regarding Fiedler is sure to generate many passionate responses.

So I feel the need to join in and offer up my opinions.

I agree with what I think is the majority of you, WE HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF JAY!!!!!
I don't know yet about AJ, but I have watched Fiedler for every game he's played in the last four years, and the best thing I can say is that he's not Ray Lucas.

He does have moments when he looks like he's put it together, but they are moments.

He isn't and will never be consistant.
Add that to his weak arm, inaccuracy and tendency to get injured and I don't see how we can feel confident in him as the starter.

Even if the team is strong enough to make the playoff's, if the better teams don't fear the passing game they will make life difficult for Ricky, we saw that last year.

I really don't see what Wannstadt see's in the guy, he actually sais a couple of years back that Jay could do anything that Trent Green can do.
PLEASE!!!

I mentioned it once before, if possible I would take a shot at Kerry Collins, he has the arm strength, accuracy and does not get injured.

My feeling is if Jay is the starter again, we will not go very far in the playoffs if we even make it at all.

The best thought about that is that for sure we would have seen the last of him and Wannstadt after this season.
Ummm, isn't this what we all thought after last season. :lastyr: :down:

Yes, it is, but- if it happens again, do you think Heizenga will stand for it again?

I would hope not.

TerryTate said:
We'll have to see what Mark Trestman can do with Jay....

In your sig. what is that Willis pulls out of his pants after the strikeout?

ncinque said:
Yes, it is, but- if it happens again, do you think Heizenga will stand for it again?

I would hope not.
I don't know. I wouldn't hold my breath. Hopefully it doesn't matter cuz the Dolphind are gonna have a monster year :bling: :couch2:

Back
Top Bottom