How ManyThought Tannehill Should Sit This Year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How ManyThought Tannehill Should Sit This Year?

I said I would have sat him until about Halloween. That is how I felt in the summer.

With what I have seen, I am wrong. Tannehill got valuable experience. He has demonstrated the smarts and moxie.

He does need to show additional progression. However, overall I like what I have seen and he has performed better than I thought he would.

After Garrard went down there was no better choice than starting Tannehill. He has had 12 games in the NFL, and has looked really good at times and pretty bad at other times. We are also comparing him to the rest of the QB rookies who are outplaying him on a consistent basis which is frustrating. Let him work his ass off to improve this off season and surround him with some more playmakers and we will see what happens.

I said prior to the draft, if he is taken you START him GAME 1/ASAP. You take your lumps and let him develop. Let him see things now, so next year and so on, the game isn't too fast/big for him.

He has flashed. He has flopped. But I rather SEE it now and know or feel that MIA has a chance of having their Franchise QB. Next year at this time, we should see a more complete Tannehill.

People say that he was set up for failure, but I don't think that the average football fan or the media considers Tannehill a failure. Everyone knows that he would have much bigger numbers with some WR/TE talent, a consistent OL, and a threatening run game.

I think it was a great decision to play him this year, as long as he doesn't get hurt. One additional year of experience, and hopefully it will only get easier for him as his surrounding cast improves.

I thought whoever played the best in practice and preseason should start and that was Tannehill so he deserves to be starting

Moore earned at last year, Tannehill should have sat out the entire season. His stats show it and so does our record.

-ucfpf13

I'm of the opinion right or wrong that the only reason to have a high first round QB sit on the bench behind a veteran is if you know he's gonna learn from that veteran ala Favre and Rodgers. If you don't have that superstar QB or a QB that imparts his knowledge effectively on his understudy then I really don't see the value in sitting him, in that case you are better off letting him learn form his own mistakes ala Peyton Manning.

I think we had the latter situation at Miami, as good a QB Moore is he's not a superstar and he's not got the experience in the league to really act as a mentor to Tanny. Even though I'm not Tanny fan, it was a wise decision to let him start, when you pick a QB with the 8th pick in the draft you need to see what you've got.

People thinking though that the off season will bring in some much needed weapons for him and that we'll be able then to compete need to think again IMO and could put undue pressure on the kid. He was never just a 2 year project, he was more a 3 to 4 year one, he may well regress a little next year going through a softmore slump, the excuses of no weapons will be gone (hopefully) and that could break him. If we banking on Tanny to be the franchise, then we have to accept that next year is also a transitional year, it's 2014 or 2015 where we should expect to see results improve.

During camp, I was leaning towards sitting RT. The lack of college experience does matter, and with the surrounding talent as well as the Phans lack of patience, I was afraid to risk the kid's confidence. I'm glad to be wrong, nothing seems to shake him.

One other stat of note. According to the "talking heads" before this year, no rookie QB has won more than 7 games in the history of the NFL. All things considered, that says a lot of RT's play.

I wanted to sit him until watching his 1st preseason snaps. From then on, I felt he had the poise to handle whatever failures the season had in store. But he does need at least 2 WR's this offseason. I'd love to land Wallace or Jennings, then draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd, and then look for a value pick in the late 3rd or 4th for another WR. If we don't bring in a FA WR, I think we'll be looking at definitely spending 2 of our top 5 picks on WR's.

Is anyone else as surprised as I am on how RT has handled this year? Fair protection (at best), no play makers to speak of, more drops than average, not much of a run game, and few fans showing up.

Yet, he still acts like he is playing poker, and doing very well. Must be the wife. :)

I can say that I wanted him to sit. That being said, I was wrong and am now glad he started. This is valuble experience going into next year.

Never at any point did I want Tanny or Garrard to start. Moore earned it last year and people like to forget that he was our MVP last year. I think Moore would have had us into the playoffs or at least very close. Tanny should have sat this year and gained some valuable watching/learning time. I'm not saying Tanny will or will not be the future, that has yet to be seen but he was not ready to start. It's not a coincidence that the only game Moore played this year was our best game of the season ( Oakland was a good game also but Oakland is one of the worst teams in the NFL ). Also think people that say Moore has no ceiling are wrong. The kid could easily become a lot better if given a chance.

He should have sat, Matt Moore should have been the starter he deserved it with his performance last year. RT should have been learning and been protected on the bench/sideline, devlin should have got snaps at the end of lopsided games. I am not a RT hater, in fact just the opposite. I think JP and crew put him at undue risk this year, the extra .5 second it takes him to process the play could be the difference between and knockdowned ball or season ending injury. Not to mention the verbal bashing he's getting for not being Luck, RG,

I thought he should sit because there have been many young QB's damaged by starting too soon, and Moore was a "proven" starter. But Tannehill is one of those rookie QB's that doesn't seem impacted by setbacks, and so at this point, I think starting him was actually a great move. It's likely accelerated his development, and overall he's probably performed about as well as Moore would have anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom