How much can we offer Ogun? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much can we offer Ogun?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
According to John Clayton, we are $5.1 million under the salary cap. Now, we need to sign our 6 draft picks and possibly pick up 1 or 2 June 1st cuts. With that in mind, how much can they actually offer Ogunleye?

Don't forget that extending Chambers would also be very nice. Of course, extending Chambers might not really make an impact for the good or bad on this year's cap (I honestly don't know what his number is offhand).

Are they workin on a deal with surtain to free up some more room?

Not alot obviously. We have to sign our picks which is roughly 3 mil. We want to pick up a WR after June 1st, and a Mushin Mohammed or a Dennis Northcutt would not come for less than 1 mil IMO. We have about the money we are offering in the tender IMO to sign him. Sucks huh?

Are we cutting Fiedler? What about Knight after this season?? I would hate to see Sammy go, but ish happens

The rookie salary pool is not additional spending. It is the total amount that can be spent on the drafted rookie contracts and the bonuses for the undrafted rookies as they always get the minimum.

Team salary already includes the 51 highest salaries with the lowest salary now being $338k. The other 39 salaries on the team do not count.

The only rookie contract that will impact team salary before counting 53 players will be Vernon Carey. Last year's 19th pick in the first round was Kyle Boller with a cap charge of $1.095 million. Assuming Carey gets the same size contract, the lowest salary gets bumped off and his added. The difference $757k will reduced the amount under the cap. ($1.095 less $.338) In very round numbers, $5 million less $1 still leaves $4 million under the cap.

Will Poole was the 102nd pick in the fourth round. Last year's pick in that position received a lower than than market contract I believe so for comparison we can look at the 98th pick in the fourth round. CB Dennis Weathersby's contract cap charge was $337,167. This salary cap charge probably won't count until just before the season starts in September.

Prime Time said:
We want to pick up a WR after June 1st, and a Mushin Mohammed or a Dennis Northcutt would not come for less than 1 mil IMO

So we've officially stated that we are intent on picking up another veteran WR? Cool.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Don't forget 1.8 million of that is OGun

That is correct. Depending on the length of the deal and the amount of the signing bonus, Wale's new deal probably wouldn't eat up too much more of the cap.

Maybe that's why the FO has taken such a hard stance with Wale? Maybe they know they can't afford to give him more than the tender this year anyway? Maybe all this posturing by the FO has nothing to do with negotiation tactics, but rather the salary cap? No idea really, just thinking out loud.

Merman said:
The rookie salary pool is not additional spending. It is the total amount that can be spent on the drafted rookie contracts and the bonuses for the undrafted rookies as they always get the minimum.

Team salary already includes the 51 highest salaries with the lowest salary now being $338k. The other 39 salaries on the team do not count.

The only rookie contract that will impact team salary before counting 53 players will be Vernon Carey. Last year's 19th pick in the first round was Kyle Boller with a cap charge of $1.095 million. Assuming Carey gets the same size contract, the lowest salary gets bumped off and his added. The difference $757k will reduced the amount under the cap. ($1.095 less $.338) In very round numbers, $5 million less $1 still leaves $4 million under the cap.

Will Poole was the 102nd pick in the fourth round. Last year's pick in that position received a lower than than market contract I believe so for comparison we can look at the 98th pick in the fourth round. CB Dennis Weathersby's contract cap charge was $337,167. This salary cap charge probably won't count until just before the season starts in September.
Excellent Post!!!!

If we get somthing done with Surtain, how much could we save? Anyone know?

Also, What is Chambers cap number this year, and what could it go to with an extension?

The cap number for Chambers appears to be $714,875. I imagine that would have to go up into the 7 figure range if he got an extended deal.

What makes you guys think were gonna get a WR after cuts when we didint even draft a WR in any round.They have youth and vets and seem content with that.Any insider stuff we dont know about?

finregime said:
What makes you guys think were gonna get a WR after cuts when we didint even draft a WR in any round.They have youth and vets and seem content with that.Any insider stuff we dont know about?
The only for sure thing I know of is the RS said one time that they would look at WR after June 1, but no specifics on who. Am trying to find that quote.

The reason that I thought there were no WRs drafted was because by the time the team picked in the 5th round, there weren't any guys left who they felt might make the team based on who we have. The 1st rounder was locked in at OL, particularly after Evans and Clayton went. The 4th rounder was locked in on one of a few players the team apparently felt were too good a value to pass up.

If that is true, I don't think it rules out a veteran FA at all. In fact, the availability of vets after 6/1 may have been a consideration when deciding to go value with Poole instead of taking a WR.

Back
Top Bottom