How much time are you willing to give Adam Gase as HC? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much time are you willing to give Adam Gase as HC?

How many more years should Gase get to turn things around?

• Total voters
Gase came off as insightful, foresight, willing to challenge accepted paradigms and as a quick learner last season. It's ponderous how he's become the exact opposite this season. I've said before that I don't think it's coincidental that now as a "consultant" he has his old school, career neer do well father in law, Joe Vitt in his ear. Whether for the sake of family harmony he's capitulating to his "recommendations" or actually believes that what worked for Vitt and Payton early on in NO, (but not certainly not later) works today, either way nepotism is never a good idea! And that's been borne out in spades with the Fins.

Vitt needs to disappear next season. Burke needs to be replaced. Gase himself should replace himself with a skilled playcaller for starters. And Rizzo? His time is up too! Given all this, Gase is not going anywhere because he was "discovered" by Ross himself in concert with his "secret scout." Hopefully Tannenbum and his lackey will be shown the door, but for the same reason, I doubt Ross will countermand his own poor decision-making. Gase has at least 2 more seasons IMO to prove himself. Losing Tannehill, the guy who he specifically came to mentor and was doing a great job is a mitigating circumstance that Ross will not hold against him.

However, if Gase continues on the same bullheaded path w/o making any of the above changes, expecting different results he'll become another Jason Garrett and until Ross and his ego decide he made a mistake, we'll be contending with more of the same.

If the team goes through another season with the problematic mental/emotional dynamics that I think are readily apparent this year, it'll be time for him to go.

Good coordinators don't always make good head coaches. Two years in a row of the inability to manage a 53-player roster from the head position will be evidence enough.

I have to say, I am so sick and tired of watching all the mistakes every week with the team. This has been a wasted season in many respects, Tannehill's ACL, the hurricane, being displaced to the west coast, then going East and on to London, Timmons going AWOL, the snorting O line coach. It's comical when you look at the list of unusual circumstances.

I like Gase. I am not afraid to say it. But, there are three major things that concern me for the big picture. One, the number of penalties, mistakes, and mis-communications. Two, young talent is not progressing enough, whether it is Tunsil, or Parker or Caroo or Howard or Harris or any of a number of guys. I expected further development from all of them. Third, Gase can be stubborn to a fault with his favorites. They said Asiata was redshirting in the first week or two. How about telling him to learn, get in shape, etc. It'd be nice to get a look at him now, or else why the hell did we draft him? Be flexible. Gase plays favorites too, whether it is Julius Thomas, bringing in Cutler, etc.

Shula consistently had the least number of penalties. Belichick believes in doing your job and letting the other team self destruct. It may be that Gase is good in some respects, but he may not have a clue as to how to instill sound play without penalties. If that is the case, he needs a number of new assistants. He needs guys that can teach and develop good football. And, he needs better game planning. I hope there is wholesale change to the coaching staff.

I have to say, I am so sick and tired of watching all the mistakes every week with the team. This has been a wasted season in many respects, Tannehill's ACL, the hurricane, being displaced to the west coast, then going East and on to London, Timmons going AWOL, the snorting O line coach. It's comical when you look at the list of unusual circumstances.

I like Gase. I am not afraid to say it. But, there are three major things that concern me for the big picture. One, the number of penalties, mistakes, and mis-communications. Two, young talent is not progressing enough, whether it is Tunsil, or Parker or Caroo or Howard or Harris or any of a number of guys. I expected further development from all of them. Third, Gase can be stubborn to a fault with his favorites. They said Asiata was redshirting in the first week or two. How about telling him to learn, get in shape, etc. It'd be nice to get a look at him now, or else why the hell did we draft him? Be flexible. Gase plays favorites too, whether it is Julius Thomas, bringing in Cutler, etc.

Shula consistently had the least number of penalties. Belichick believes in doing your job and letting the other team self destruct. It may be that Gase is good in some respects, but he may not have a clue as to how to instill sound play without penalties. If that is the case, he needs a number of new assistants. He needs guys that can teach and develop good football. And, he needs better game planning. I hope there is wholesale change to the coaching staff.

What you're possibly describing there -- and I emphasize possibly -- is someone who is good at being a coordinator and perhaps coaxing better play out of an important player (the quarterback), but not good at being the head coach of an entire team.

If that's the case, then Gase's success as a head coach could be almost entirely a function of 1) how well his quarterback plays, and 2) the mental/emotional influence that has on the rest of the roster, as Gase himself is unable to exert enough of a positive mental/emotional influence himself.

That possibility would explain both last year, and this year.

Is it possible that it is more a function of the scouting/talent acquisition, that they are undervaluing players that are situationally-aware and disciplined? I guess we could look at the track records of the players now vs their collegiate careers to see if their penalties have increased

Is it possible that it is more a function of the scouting/talent acquisition, that they are undervaluing players that are situationally-aware and disciplined? I guess we could look at the track records of the players now vs their collegiate careers to see if their penalties have increased

Not when there are so many of them. What are the odds that the Dolphins have acquired a relatively high number of players on both offense and defense who are prone to such behavior?

The more parsimonious explanation in my opinion is that the players are simply part of a group that, overall, isn't highly motivated to achieve a great deal.

And I think that falls back on the culture that's been created by Gase's unwillingness to be perceived as anything but a "quarterback whisperer," which has led him to publicly (and probably privately as well) blame players other than the quarterback he targeted.

This has set up a culture of low morale, low energy, and inattentiveness to detail/disorganization. In essence the rest of the team is saying, on some level, "eff you -- the hell with it."

Gase simply isn't accomplished enough as a head coach to forsake the self-image that got him the job -- a "quarterback whisperer." His NFL ego/reputation is too fragile to permit that at this point.

Well said. Pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

He is young, so I am hoping he can recognize this and set things straight. But that will be difficult when his nose is buried in his playsheet the entire game.

What you're possibly describing there -- and I emphasize possibly -- is someone who is good at being a coordinator and perhaps coaxing better play out of an important player (the quarterback), but not good at being the head coach of an entire team.

If that's the case, then Gase's success as a head coach could be almost entirely a function of 1) how well his quarterback plays, and 2) the mental/emotional influence that has on the rest of the roster, as Gase himself is unable to exert enough of a positive mental/emotional influence himself.

That possibility would explain both last year, and this year.

Exactly!

Like I said above, I think he can move past this phase but he first has to recognize the problem.

Reactions: <O>
Adam gaze is not the problem....the problem is we have no qb. You children should understand that.....Take away your starting qb to start season and your entire team will struggle. The same goes for any team...... Open your eyes children.

Adam gaze is not the problem....the problem is we have no qb. You children should understand that.....Take away your starting qb to start season and your entire team will struggle. The same goes for any team...... Open your eyes children.

Then why is the pass defense so bad, when there is a near-zero correlation between offensive and opponents' passer ratings throughout the league, and why are relatively large numbers of players on both sides of the ball making mental errors in terms of assignments and penalties on an almost weekly basis?

Surely you don't think that's all rooted exclusively in quarterback functioning?

I'll give him one more season with a healthy Ryan Tannehill at QB. No excuses for the offense next year. He can earn 2019 in 2018, or not.

If the crap continues next year I say axe him. To give him another year after next would be insane unless the team shows progress in terms of pretty much doing the exact opposite of what they are doing now. in addition, if he does a truthful evaluation of staff at years end and heads don't roll I have no sympathy for him. It's not just the players screwing up, almost anyone can see that, so we'll see.

I think two groups of fans are going to be mighty disappointed after 2018-- both those who believe that Tannehill coming back is going to mean a winning record and playoff berth, and those who believe that Gase is going to be fired if the Dolphins don't get past 8-8.

I think Tannehill comes back and the team is marginally better, but still unable to fix all of the holes on the current team, including finding replacements for Ajayi and Landry. So the ceiling is 8-8 next year, but because the team will still be better (relatively speaking), Gase will get another season.

So what would we as fans define as a "successful" enough season in 2018 to keep Gase as HC?

For me, it's playoffs, even if a wildcard. If 2018 results in a 8-8 season or worse, I say we end the Gase experiment along with the entire front office. Cut our losses and go get an experienced coach with a proven record of success.

9-7 would warrant one more year and anything better would prove this year as an aberration.

Maybe I'm impatient, but I am sick and tired of my Dolphins being a joke.

So what would we as fans define as a "successful" enough season in 2018 to keep Gase as HC?
Well I'm expecting a disaster, so anything more than 4 wins or so and I'm fine with Gase staying-- barring unforeseeable circumstances. After 2018, though, the excuses are done and anything short of playoffs is unacceptable.

I think he needs to go because I do not SEE ANYTHING about him or his team that impresses me. His coaches, gameplan, playcalling, adjustments, player substituting or lack thereof, team intensity, correcting mistakes, involvement, continuous slow starts...NOTHING

Back
Top Bottom