How the NFL screws Dolphin fans and the Dolphin orginzation. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the NFL screws Dolphin fans and the Dolphin orginzation.

It is not a a scam, but it is crazy. Every couple of years a paper or tv station does a poll and the Dolphins are the overwhelming fan favorite in Orlando, over the Bucs and Jags. Yes we here in the Orlando area are geographically closer to those teams, but most of the fans are from earlier eras when the phins were the only choice and then got dumped on by the secondary market rules by the NFL.

That or expansion!

This has nothing to do with records. This has been a policy for like 5 years now. Before then, the Dolphins had at least 11 games televised here and nearly EVERY Hurricane game as well. Then the Hurricanes moved to the ACC and falls to another channel's coverage and we are lucky to get 5 games a year now and none are HD unless it's ESPN. The Dolphins started getting half the games it did so I would call every Sunday and leave nasty message at the local channel. Finally, like 2 years ago I got someone on the phone as was told the NFL gave this area to the Jags and there is nothing they can do. He did say to always call and ***** because they present that data to the NFL to try and break out from the Jag's control every year.

So make sure every finfan in Orlando calls every Sunday to complain that you didn't see your fins. Maybe enough fans will call to make the NFL change it's mind.

If the Dolphins are winning 10+ games a year like they used to.. you'd be seeing plenty of Dolphin ball. Through 'national coverage'. Regardless of broadcasting rights. The Dolphins will ALWAYS be a more popular team in Florida, and around the country than the Jags or Bucs could ever hope to be.

Doesn't look hopeful. Everyone I know in Central Florida are Fin fans.. including someone in Rockledge who's a season ticket holder. Probably your only hope is to organize a grass-roots letter-writing campaign directed at the games' sponsors threatening to boycott their products unless the team that their target demographics actually roots for gets televised. Probably just whistling in the wind but with the NFL, it's $$$$ that talks

Personally, I'm pizzed that Comcast has just removed the Palm Beach Fox, CBS and NBC affiliates from its northern Broward programming - no more being able to see blacked out Fins games or have more than 1 choice when the Fins aren't available. Sux!:boohoo:

Why not???? Georgia doesn't have a team.

They do have a team. They're called the Atlanta Falcons.

And this is not a conspiracy. The NFL wants to make as much money and secure as many advertisers as possible, so I'm sure that financially speaking, the current setup drives the most possible television viewership (unless they're data is wrong)

I still find it funny that Polk County is considered mainly a "Tampa market" when it's right dead smack in the middle of the state. The travel time whether you go to Tampa or Orlando is essentially the same if you live in Polk. Polk is one of those counties that could go either way.
I've always kind of wondered that myself. I guess it's slightly closer so Tampa won out. I don't know.

I'm originally from Orlando, (born and raised, Jones High School, class of 91') so I feel your pain. The thing I don't understand is why the people in the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area don't get the Dolphin games. The Bucs are an NFC team. Which means their games are mostly televised on FOX. The Phins are an AFC team and their games are mostly broadcast on CBS. Why in the hell wouldn't they televise the Miami games?

I'm originally from Orlando, (born and raised, Jones High School, class of 91') so I feel your pain. The thing I don't understand is why the people in the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area don't get the Dolphin games. The Bucs are an NFC team. Which means their games are mostly televised on FOX. The Phins are an AFC team and their games are mostly broadcast on CBS. Why in the hell wouldn't they televise the Miami games?

I have been wondering about that for years! It's something I could never understand. My best guess is, is that the Tampa markets want sole focus on the Bucs, and the Bucs only. A team that has a strong following such as the Dolphins could take away potential viewers.

the capn's right - it's about proximity. it's just closer and they want to expand their fan base. not rocket science but it sucks all the same.

The Jags are a playoff team. The Dolphins were (barely) 1-15. Its not a conspiracy.

i guess barely 1-15 means that you don't bother to look at the games in which we lost by 3 points, and the games like dallas where we were in it but compltely fell apart.
we were better than a 1-15 team last year and we will certainly be better than a 1-15 team this year.
i expect the entire team to play with a chip on their shoulder the whole year and prove that south florida is still a dominant sports city.

I don't get the problem with living in polk county. The Bucs are on fox so why would that make any difference.

Teams have secondary markets to try and build a fan base. If the game is blacked out in Jax it is in Orlando too. They do that to expand their fan base.

I don't get the problem with living in polk county. The Bucs are on fox so why would that make any difference.

Teams have secondary markets to try and build a fan base. If the game is blacked out in Jax it is in Orlando too. They do that to expand their fan base.

I don't think there's a problem living in Polk County. Polk's a nice place to live. However, a major complaint of Polk Dolfans are that when the Bucs have a 1:00 game on FOX, and the Fins have a 1:00 game on CBS, why is it that only the Bucs game is shown? Why not show both games and appease both fanbases? Instead of forcing a team down the throats of a fanbase that doesn't want to watch that particular team.

Back
Top Bottom