How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now?

You guys ripped me in the beginning of the year when I posted (How do we get rid of this guy Wes Welker) I wonder if you FOOLS still feel the same way and if you do you should be fired like Cam.

We should have a first round pick for this guy.

If not Welker then it'd be someone else for the Pats. I'd still take what we got for him

WRONG. The Pats offered a poison pill contract that would have cost us 38 million dollars over 5 years. The posts are still on this board if you would like to search for them.[/QUOTE]

i am well aware of it...maybe you should read all my posts on this?

it isn't the loss as much as the gamble i don't/didn't like.

and they did NOT put the poison pill in the tender offer...they stopped that and gave up the throw away 7th rounder so that woudn't have been an issue.

You cant compare Ginn in miami to Welker in NE.
You cant even compare Welker in Miami to Welker in NE..

Man, you guys really dont know anything about this sport do ya!!?? These threads prove that

yep thats rite you are the only one that knows anything about football and your comment about what welker supposedly said or didn't say just proves that.

a rumor nothing more.

and like i posted in this thread 95% of the nfl players would love to be a part of the pats winning this season and in seasons past.

heck i would bet if polled privately close to the entire roster would want out of miami if the course had not been changed with parcells....they may not say it out loud as that would be business suicide but bet most wanted no part of this shambles of an organization.

WRONG. The Pats offered a poison pill contract that would have cost us 38 million dollars over 5 years. The posts are still on this board if you would like to search for them.

i am well aware of it...maybe you should read all my posts on this?

it isn't the loss as much as the gamble i don't/didn't like.

and they did NOT put the poison pill in the tender offer...they stopped that and gave up the throw away 7th rounder so that woudn't have been an issue.[/quote]

They did play nice and changed the contract offer in the end - and regardless we did get great value for our pick. Satele being a good center has a lot to do with the value in the transaction sure, but the simple fact of the matter is Welker isn't and couldn't be the same player he is in NE for the Dolphins. There's no way around it, and he did not have anything approaching the impact of Satele with the Dolphins. Losing him and gaining Satele is a net gain for us, not a loss.

yep thats rite you are the only one that knows anything about football and your comment about what welker supposedly said or didn't say just proves that.

a rumor nothing more.

and like i posted in this thread 95% of the nfl players would love to be a part of the pats winning this season and in seasons past

thats right :up:

An no, it wasnt a rumor, it was actually stated in an interview. would you like to know anything else about football?

when you're rich you can afford to adorn yourself with a diamond or two.

when you're struggling you need all the money (and picks) you can muster for the bare necessities.

the entire transaction was a windfall for us whether welker caught 1 pass for 3 yards or 143 passes for 2300 yards and 29 touchdowns. his performance in NE is totally irrelevant to the discussion.

why do i keep posting in these threads?

thats right :up:

An no, it wasnt a rumor, it was actually stated in an interview. would you like to know anything else about football?

link me the interview i would love to read the context the words were used in.

and courtesy of ozzy and DT where we have had this discussion before...without the insults,chest pounding and name calling.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news

Patriots pounced fast to grab Welker
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | October 17, 2007

How did it happen?

[mod]please do not post the entire article, a sentence or two plus the link is all that is allowed[/mod]

addendum...no problem i thought i was ok if all credit was shown...my bad.
Mike Reiss can be reached at mreiss@globe.com.

when you're rich you can afford to adorn yourself with a diamond or two.

when you're struggling you need all the money (and picks) you can muster for the bare necessities.

the entire transaction was a windfall for us whether welker caught 1 pass for 3 yards or 143 passes for 2300 yards and 29 touchdowns. his performance in NE is totally irrelevant to the discussion.

why do i keep posting in these threads?

great analogy! Agreed 100%. Welker in NE =/= (and NEVER would or could =) welker in Miami.

link me the interview i would love to read the context the words were used in.

and courtesy of ozzy and DT where we have had this discussion before...without the insults,chest pounding and name calling.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news

Patriots pounced fast to grab Welker
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | October 17, 2007

How did it happen?

[mod]please do not post the entire article, a sentence or two plus the link is all that is allowed[/mod]

addendum...no problem i thought i was ok if all credit was shown...my bad.
Mike Reiss can be reached at mreiss@globe.com.

whos chest pounding, im very calm and actually laughing :sidelol:

You guys ripped me in the beginning of the year when I posted (How do we get rid of this guy Wes Welker) I wonder if you FOOLS still feel the same way and if you do you should be fired like Cam.

We should have a first round pick for this guy.
still really happy about the trade. Not a ****in chance Wes would have had the year he's had if he was playing here. He's got the best QB and plays alongside the best WR in the NFL with the best OL in the NFL. We got a lot for him considering what he had done for us.

Would someone please educate me here on this and tell me if Im understanding this correctly?

NE originally made Wes an offer of 38mil for 5yrs with how much money up front? and we would get a 2nd rd pick.

Miami was not fiancially capable of matching this offer and NE lowered thier offer to I think 12 million over 6yrs with 4mil up front and gave us a 2nd a 7th. That is when the players union stepped in to question the deal because Wes wound up leaving alot of money on the table.

If that is correct I will say it may of been prudent of miami to force ne to pay the larger sum for wes and not take that 7th rounder. The exta money that freed up for ne allowed them to spend it in other places and it that sense we did help aid ne building its powerhouse that we face twice a year every year.

Well looks like your getting ripped again........Welker is a great slot reciever, but only when nobody is covering him because You have Moss, Stallworth, Watson; Oh and Brady passing to all those guys, we dont have anywhere near that supporting cast, a 2nd and a 7th was a great trade for a slot reciever.

Would someone please educate me here on this and tell me if Im understanding this correctly?

NE originally made Wes an offer of 38mil for 5yrs with how much money up front? and we would get a 2nd rd pick.

Miami was not fiancially capable of matching this offer and NE lowered thier offer to I think 12 million over 6yrs with 4mil up front and gave us a 2nd a 7th. That is when the players union stepped in to question the deal because Wes wound up leaving alot of money on the table.

If that is correct I will say it may of been prudent of miami to force ne to pay the larger sum for wes and not take that 7th rounder. The exta money that freed up for ne allowed them to spend it in other places and it that sense we did help aid ne building its powerhouse that we face twice a year every year.

Nope. New England never intended to pay Welker that money. It's called a poison pill and the league frowns upon it but they can't get rid of it due to the players union. Essentially due to the wording of the contract if Miami kept Welker they would have had to pay him 38.5 mil however New England was never obligated to pay him that money under the contract they were only obligated to pay him 18.1 Million over 5 years.

The contract is worded such that if Welker played more than 3 games a year in Miami that he would be payed the 38.5 mil but if he played less than 3 games in Miami he would only be payed 18.1 Million over 5 years. Thus trapping Miami in a situation where if they matched the contract they would be paying significantly more for Welker.

It's the type of dirty underhanded sleezy stuff the Patriots are famous for. We had no choice but to let Welker go.

Back
Top Bottom