Huff to the Astros is Close! | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huff to the Astros is Close!

Nappy Roots said:
that sounds like your saying hes not a stud to me.
I never said Jorge Cantu wasn't a stud, nor did I say he was one. I simply put he hasn't had the same success Huff has had over a long period of time, nor is he an ace with the glove. Nowhere in that post has me saying Jorge Cantu is not a stud.

FaninPatsyLand said:
FYI, I wasn't comparing Cantu to Tracy, I was comparing Huff to Tracy. You stated that "a guy who can play multiple positions 1st/3rd/OF, hit .300, 30 HRs and 100 RBIs, is at the very least a top 30 player in MLB." Well guess what, Tracy plays all three positions he hit .300, 27 HRs, and drove in around 90 runs... are you ready to call him a top 30 player in the whole league?

Tracy is another youngster who I love, I think he's going to be great, but to call his numbers top 30 worthy at this point is asinine.
Tracy at this point isn't top 50 in this league, but I can agree to a point where you're coming from. Tracy had the one good year, and is having himself another one this year, but I still believe Huff with more protection, and having a better chance at winning -- ala division with Yankees, Red Sox, will have more successful career than Chad. But I need to see more from Chad to get a better evaluation from him.

O-Connection said:
I never said Jorge Cantu wasn't a stud, nor did I say he was one. I simply put he hasn't had the same success Huff has had over a long period of time, nor is he an ace with the glove. Nowhere in that post has me saying Jorge Cantu is not a stud.

See but that's what ridiculous about your stance in this debate. If you want to question his abilities to get on base, make contact, cut down on his strikeouts, play better defense. That's fine.

But the only reasoning you have to refute the claim that he's as good if not better than Huff is the fact that Cantu hasn't done it for an extended period of time. He's played one full season in the big leagues, and he set a franchise record in that year. Project those numbers out and it's not even close, Cantu is better than Huff.

FaninPatsyLand said:
See but that's what ridiculous about your stance in this debate. If you want to question his abilities to get on base, make contact, cut down on his strikeouts, play better defense. That's fine.

But the only reasoning you have to refute the claim that he's as good if not better than Huff is the fact that Cantu hasn't done it for an extended period of time. He's played one full season in the big leagues, and he set a franchise record in that year. Project those numbers out and it's not even close, Cantu is better than Huff.
There have been many players who have come up, performed well to an extent for one season, then were adjusted to by pitchers and saw their stats take a heavy dive. What makes or breaks a hitter is how he adjusts to that, if he can't adjust then he will soon burn out. Huff is a career .287 hitter, has 30 hr power, and can drive in 100 runs on any given year. Cantu, who has a great chance at being moved to 1B puts up similar numbers to Huff. How is it Cantu is better than a guy who's done it year in and year out -- discluding injuries, of course.

O-Connection said:
There have been many players who have come up, performed well to an extent for one season, then were adjusted to by pitchers and saw their stats take a heavy dive. What makes or breaks a hitter is how he adjusts to that, if he can't adjust then he will soon burn out. Huff is a career .287 hitter, has 30 hr power, and can drive in 100 runs on any given year. Cantu, who has a great chance at being moved to 1B puts up similar numbers to Huff. How is it Cantu is better than a guy who's done it year in and year out -- discluding injuries, of course.

You can't compare career numbers of vetrans to youngsters who have been in the league only one or two years. Those numbers and results will most definitely be skewed. But if you want to make this comparison, Cantu projects to be a much better player than Huff is now when Cantu is his age. Or look at Huff's numbers when he was Cantu's age, I doubt you'll be seeing 117 RBIs from Aubrey at 24.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I'm not sure you want to go down this road. If I read your question correctly, then you are asking a similar question to the following:

How is Jonathan Papelbon better than Armando Benitez, Benitez has (insert number of saves, I'm too lazy to look up this number) more saves than Papelbon? Surely, Benitez has more career saves, he's been at the job longer.

You can't compare career numbers of vetrans to youngsters who have been in the league only one or two years. Those numbers and results will most definitely be skewed. But if you want to make this comparison, Cantu projects to be a much better player than Huff is now when Cantu is his age.
Those are two entirely different situations. Papelbon was regarded as a top pitching prospect last season, came up, and was very succesful. Now he's mowing down nearly every hitter that comes up to the plate, and in a division that features some lethal offenses. Papelbon, along with Liriano, Kazmir, Felix, Weaver, and a few others are leading a strong charge of talented SP/RP youth.

Cantu on the other hand is a good bet to be the Rays' 1st baseman -- most likely if he continues to have trouble at 2B. Cantu came up, hit 28 hrs, drove in 100 plus and had a good season. But how does that compare to Huff who can and still is -- check Huff who has been known to heat up in the second half, and is now going to Houston with Lance in front of him -- who has proven he can do it year after year, while playing multiple positions? If Huff isn't a so called "Stud", then Cantu shouldn't be classified under it either.

O-Connection said:
If Huff isn't a so called "Stud", then Cantu shouldn't be classified under it either.

Disagree for two reasons. Cantu plays 2nd base and until he moves, his numbers are that much more impressive. Cantu is also 24, which gives him some more time to become even better. Age plays a huge factor in this debate.

Oh well, neither one of us is going to change the others mind. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Disagree for two reasons. Cantu plays 2nd base and until he moves, his numbers are that much more impressive. Cantu is also 24, which gives him some more time to become even better. Age plays a huge factor in this debate.

Oh well, neither one of us is going to change the others mind. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I totally agree. Age and position are relative in any debate when comparing two players. Its a heck of a lot harder to find a sick hitting 2b then a corner of/1b. Huff has never driven in 117 rbi and throught his career hes a 3 month player. he is USELESS in april, may and most of june. Geneally hes around 240 and this year he was at 150-180 those months. Thats horrendous. Cantu is mini Manny in stance, style and production relative to position while huff is nothing special, though he will help a houston team that can not hit w/risp.

Put me in the crowd that doesn't think Huff is a stud. He's a very good hitter however when I think of stud I think of David Wright, Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, etc.

If you say Huff is a stud then you'd have to say that Trot Nixon is a stud too (don't bother calling me a homer either, I hate Nixon and personally think Huff is better). Before anyone kills me with this go and look at Huff's and Nixon's stats they're very similar. But to save time for people to look it or (or kill me) I'll post them here:

Player A:
946 games, 3168 at bats, 536 runs, 892 hits, 131 HRs, 514 RBIs, 29 SB, .282 BA, .370 OBP, .486 SLG, .856 OPS

Player B:
799 games, 3028 at bats, 400 runs, 870 hits, 128 HRs, 449 RBI, 20 SB, .287 BA, .343 OBP, .477 SLG, .819 OPS

Player A= Nixon (31 years old)
Player B= Huff (29 years old)

Sorry but Huff isn't a stud, it doesn't matter that he's playing on a lesser team. Sure it hurts him a little bit but studs can put up monster numbers on bad teams too (for some examples see: ARod before he came to NY, Griffey, Miguel Cabrerra his whole career, Alfonso Soriano this year, Todd Helton his whole career, Carlos Delgado when he was in Toronto and now Jason Bay).

the way cantu came into the league hitting all those doubles and hitting over .300 near the end of the '04 season, and then having the great '05 season, proves to me that he's a stud. he's just a stud at 2nd.

Back
Top Bottom