Huff to the Astros is Close! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huff to the Astros is Close!

Nappy Roots said:
all the 2nd base arguement may get thrown out the window if he switches to 1B like many believe.

That's fine, but until that point, he's a unique offensive weapon at a position that is weak on the average throughout the league.

That HAS to count for something. You don't expect a 2nd baseman to have 1st/3rd/OF type power, do you? Because those would be unrealistic expectations.

MikeO said:
Cause the team stinks!:shakeno:
So I guess this is the perfect fit for him because the Astros can barely get any run support for their pitchers, meaning he will be in the same situation as the minor league team.

That's nice.

FaninPatsyLand said:
That's fine, but until that point, he's a unique offensive weapon at a position that is weak on the average throughout the league.

That HAS to count for something. You don't expect a 2nd baseman to have 1st/3rd/OF type power, do you? Because those would be unrealistic expectations.

i agree, it does count for something. but how much? enough to call him a stud and call a better all around hitter not one?

FaninPatsyLand said:
Cantu has only been in the league for a year and a half, how many good years did you expect out of him, three?

Cantu put up similar numbers as a 2nd baseman, which is more impressive. How often do you find a 2nd baseman with that kind of power and run producing ability. There aren't many in baseball, but a 1st/3rd/OF 30 homerun guy are a hell of alot more common.

But according to your logic, I guess we can all proclaim Chad Tracy to be a top 30 player. He hit 27 HRs, batted .308 and drove in around 90 in Arizona's lineup last year. I love Tracy, but he ain't no top 30 player, yet. At least he has youth on his side, unlike Aubrey.
:shakeno:

Tracy is on a possible playoff team, hasn't had the same type of success over long periods of time, therefore I wouldn't put them in the same class.

You're comparisons to Cantu are weak; Cantu needs work with the glove, and has only had one good season -- yet he's a stud? How is Jorge Cantu a stud? I guess by those comparisons we can call whoever has one good season in the bigs a "stud". Right? :rolleyes2

O-Connection said:

Tracy is on a possible playoff team, hasn't had the same type of success over long periods of time, therefore I wouldn't put them in the same class.

You're comparisons to Cantu are weak; Cantu needs work with the glove, and has only had one good season -- yet he's a stud? How is Jorge Cantu a stud? I guess by those comparisons we can call whoever has one good season in the bigs a "stud". Right? :rolleyes2

so you think Cantus season was a fluke?

:rolleyes2

Nappy Roots said:
so you think Cantus season was a fluke?

:rolleyes2
Where did I say that? Oh yeah, I didn't. I said a player shouldn't be judged on one years success. There have been many players who come to the big leagues, have a successful year, then pitchers adjust, and they become average to mid-level hitters. Nowhere in my post said Jorge Cantu was a bust. :eek:

O-Connection said:
Where did I say that? Oh yeah, I didn't. I said a player shouldn't be judged on one years success. There have been many players who come to the big leagues, have a successful year, then pitchers adjust, and they become average to mid-level hitters. Nowhere in my post said Jorge Cantu was a bust. :eek:

no where in my post did i say you said that. i asked you IF you think, i didnt ask you WHY you think.

so we arent aloud to call players studs after a year?

damn, i didnt get that memo.

Nappy Roots said:
to me a "gamer" means someone that plays hard everyday....he is not that.

what does a "gamer" mean to you
The same definition, but I was referring more to him accepting position switches during banner years, and playing on a losing team for his entire career -- until now, of course. But yeah, I liked Huff a lot with the Rays, it's a shame the Rays couldn't have success while he was down here.

Nappy Roots said:
no where in my post did i say you said that. i asked you IF you think, i didnt ask you WHY you think.

so we arent aloud to call players studs after a year?

damn, i didnt get that memo.
You posted the smiley under it as if assumed that, which I didn't. If a five tool player who does everything well enters the league and has great success, or someone who had a good track record in the minors is continuing it, or someone who can just flat out mash the ball has one year success, then they can be argued that. But that is not Cantu. This convo was started by the comment that Cantu is a stud, and Huff is not. Cantu had one good year, he put up numbers similar to what Aubrey did in 2004, but he shouldn't be thought of as a better player than him based on one year's success.

O-Connection said:
You posted the smiley under it as if assumed that, which I didn't. If a five tool player who does everything well enters the league and has great success, or someone who had a good track record in the minors is continuing it, or someone who can just flat out mash the ball has one year success, then they can be argued that. But that is not Cantu. This convo was started by the comment that Cantu is a stud, and Huff is not. Cantu had one good year, he put up numbers similar to what Aubrey did in 2004, but he shouldn't be thought of as a better player than him based on one year's success.

So by your logic, Scott Kazmir isn't a stud? He hasn't done it in the majors for extended periods of time. If a player is real young like Kazmir/Cantu and exceeds expectations by far in their first few years like both have done, when you take into account the growth factor and development and project them over the course of their career, it's safe to say that both are studs.

Cantu will be a better run producer in the middle of the Devil Rays lineup than Huff ever was.

O-Connection said:

I must have missed when the Diamondbacks were a playoff team last year? That vaunted lineup last year must have been a real force at home games in the desert.

FaninPatsyLand said:
So by your logic, Scott Kazmir isn't a stud? He hasn't done it in the majors for extended periods of time. If a player is real young like Kazmir/Cantu and exceeds expectations by far in their first few years like both have done, when you take into account the growth factor and development and project them over the course of their career, it's safe to say that both are studs.

Cantu will be a better run producer in the middle of the Devil Rays lineup than Huff ever was.
I like Kazmir a lot, he made strides last year, and has taken it to a another level this year. I never once said Cantu wasn't a "stud", but questioned the theory of him being more of a "stud" than Huff.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I must have missed when the Diamondbacks were a playoff team last year? That vaunted lineup last year must have been a real force at home games in the desert.
Before their June collapse they were moving along pretty smoothly. They still have a shot in that division.

O-Connection said:
Cantu needs work with the glove, and has only had one good season -- yet he's a stud? How is Jorge Cantu a stud? I guess by those comparisons we can call whoever has one good season in the bigs a "stud". Right? :rolleyes2

that sounds like your saying hes not a stud to me.

O-Connection said:
Before their June collapse they were moving along pretty smoothly. They still have a shot in that division.

FYI, I wasn't comparing Cantu to Tracy, I was comparing Huff to Tracy. You stated that "a guy who can play multiple positions 1st/3rd/OF, hit .300, 30 HRs and 100 RBIs, is at the very least a top 30 player in MLB." Well guess what, Tracy plays all three positions he hit .300, 27 HRs, and drove in around 90 runs... are you ready to call him a top 30 player in the whole league?

Tracy is another youngster who I love, I think he's going to be great, but to call his numbers top 30 worthy at this point is asinine.

Back
Top Bottom