Huff to the Astros is Close! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huff to the Astros is Close!

O-Connection said:
You ask if I'm joking, then go on to say Jorge Cantu is a stud? Where's the irony in that? :rolleyes2

Aubrey Huff has been limited by injuries, if healthy, in a better lineup with protection, with a team that has something to play for, you'll see him blossom into a legit all star candidate. I can't believe how one year of play changes everyone's opnions on a guy.

Oh wait, Rafeal Palmeiro.

I was more taken back that you claimed he was one of the 30 best players in baseball. I think that's a serious stretch. Actually, more like a ridiculous stretch.

But yes, I think Cantu is a better player than Huff.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I disagree. And Define the word hitter? If you are talking strictly average, then I could see an arguement because Cantu is never going to hit .330. But surely you don't mean that Huff was this prolific of a run producer at Cantu's age. If that's the case, why doesn't Huff hold the Devil Rays franchise record for RBIs in a season?

There's a reason that Jorge was voted the Devil Rays MVP last year.

by hitter i mean everything. avg, power, eye, getting on base, etc. Huff is the better hitter. Cantu had a great year when he drove in 117. But Huff drove in over 100 runs in back to back seasons for the rays, thats just as impressive.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I was more taken back that you claimed he was one of the 30 best players in baseball. I think that's a serious stretch. Actually, more like a ridiculous stretch.

But yes, I think Cantu is a better player than Huff.
A couple years back after his tremendous 2003, people still had doubts about him. He followed it up again in 2004 batting .297, hitting 29 hrs, and driving in a 100 plus -- with little protection. He's an extremely disciplined hitter, can hit for power, average, can play multiple positions. The guy will do whatever his team asks. It's a shame Tampa wasn't a contender during his tenure down here, because he is a gamer -- real sad to see him go. But to sum it up, a guy who can hit .300 30 100 and can play multiple positions efficiently can be argued as a top 30 player, if not better.

Cantu had one good season and now he's better than Huff? Not a chance.

Nappy Roots said:
by hitter i mean everything. avg, power, eye, getting on base, etc. Huff is the better hitter. Cantu had a great year when he drove in 117. But Huff drove in over 100 runs in back to back seasons for the rays, thats just as impressive.

Well how about we give Cantu a chance to even achieve something like that. He's only been in the league a year and a half, and he's not going to reach the 100 RBI milestone cause of the foot injury that put him on the shelf for a month or so earlier this year.

But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree when it comes to the Huff - Cantu debate.

O-Connection said:
A couple years back after his tremendous 2003, people still had doubts about him. He followed it up again in 2004 batting .297, hitting 29 hrs, and driving in a 100 plus -- with little protection. He's an extremely disciplined hitter, can hit for power, average, can play multiple positions. The guy will do whatever his team asks. It's a shame Tampa wasn't a contender during his tenure down here, because he is a gamer -- real sad to see him go. But to sum it up, a guy who can hit .300 30 100 and can play multiple positions efficiently can be argued as a top 30 player, if not better.

Huff would do "whatever his team asks"? is a "gamer"?

ok, the guy is a great hitter, but your taking it abit to far. perhaps he should of been that "gamer" more often, played hard every day, and got a better attitude.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Well how about we give Cantu a chance to even achieve something like that. He's only been in the league a year and a half, and he's not going to reach the 100 RBI milestone cause of the foot injury that put him on the shelf for a month or so earlier this year.

But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree when it comes to the Huff - Cantu debate.

Im not saying Cantu couldnt acheive that, i believe he could. But you put up an RBI stat in your arguement, and i put one up as well.

who drives in more for a last place team doesnt show who the better hitter is.

Nappy Roots said:
thats not one season changing perception, thats cheating....totally different
Not really, he was having a terrible year regardless of the roids, then got caught with his hands in his back pocket -- all during the course of one season. That's one season.

O-Connection said:
Not really, he was having a terrible year regardless of the roids, then got caught with his hands in his back pocket -- all during the course of one season. That's one season.

:rolleyes2

alright whatever you say....

O-Connection said:

:lol:

Cantu has only been in the league for a year and a half, how many good years did you expect out of him, three?

Cantu put up similar numbers as a 2nd baseman, which is more impressive. How often do you find a 2nd baseman with that kind of power and run producing ability. There aren't many in baseball, but a 1st/3rd/OF 30 homerun guy are a hell of alot more common.

But according to your logic, I guess we can all proclaim Chad Tracy to be a top 30 player. He hit 27 HRs, batted .308 and drove in around 90 in Arizona's lineup last year. I love Tracy, but he ain't no top 30 player, yet. At least he has youth on his side, unlike Aubrey.

Nappy Roots said:
Huff would do "whatever his team asks"? is a "gamer"?

ok, the guy is a great hitter, but your taking it abit to far. perhaps he should of been that "gamer" more often, played hard every day, and got a better attitude.
Well, when you're on a perennial losing team, and you're playing three positions while smashing the ball, his attitude tended to flare up. But if you read what I said, I never said Huff had a good attitude about the situation in Tampa, but rather he was a gamer and would play wherever the organization told him to play.

FaninPatsyLand said:
:lol:

Cantu has only been in the league for a year and a half, how many good years did you expect out of him, three?

Cantu put up similar numbers as a 2nd baseman, which is more impressive. How often do you find a 2nd baseman with that kind of power and run producing ability. There aren't many in baseball, but a 1st/3rd/OF 30 homerun guy are a hell of alot more common.

But according to your logic, I guess we can all proclaim Chad Tracy to be a top 30 player. He hit 27 HRs, batted .308 and drove in around 90 in Arizona's lineup last year. I love Tracy, but he ain't no top 30 player, yet. At least he has youth on his side, unlike Aubrey.

all the 2nd base arguement may get thrown out the window if he switches to 1B like many believe.

O-Connection said:
Well, when you're on a perennial losing team, and you're playing three positions while smashing the ball, his attitude tended to flare up. But if you read what I said, I never said Huff had a good attitude about the situation in Tampa, but rather he was a gamer and would play wherever the organization told him to play.

to me a "gamer" means someone that plays hard everyday....he is not that.

what does a "gamer" mean to you

Back
Top Bottom