Hunt to Test F/A | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hunt to Test F/A

If I understand your post correctly, you are talking about playing a rookie in his rookie year as a key player.

Shouldn't we be developing all our rookies for the future and use them in a more limited way their rookie season.

I am suggesting we don't rely on our rookies to be instant first level players, but to look at them as assets to be developed as future first string players. This way we get some use from them their first year but get even more use for them after their first season. this way we can always be ready as a team with solid replacements when we need them.

The Patriots did this kind of development well and it worked for almost two decades, until their coaching got sucked dry due to their success as a team.

I would anticipate it would take three to four years to develop the initial coaching staff and at least 5 years before there was a good core team in place along with an incoming stream of potentially effective new players via draft, or reclamation of some veteran players for filling gaps on a short-term basis.

It looks to me that we may be in year three of that kind of approach. This will frustrate those of us who want "instant" success and 100% home runs with every player we bring on board.

That's like using a microscope to look at an elephant.
You never see what's "going on" at any given moment.
I agree, but the premise to which I was responding seemed to say rather than resign Hunt and Williams, an option was to draft their replacements.

Relying on the draft to field a competent and cohesive Oline is risky. Too risky, IMO.

We are the only team (currently) with a left handed QB, so we view Hunt as a pure RG. He would be a very good RG or RT in most power schemes. If a team views him as a potential RT option it could boost his value to the $17M range. At the very least his versatility would be a bonus on 31 teams who don’t need him to be a blind side protector.

I recall watching him play ORT for us, his feet looked heavy and his arms seemed too short to compensate. I suppose someone will pay 17M, can't stop stupidity.

I recall watching him play ORT for us, his feet looked heavy and his arms seemed too short to compensate. I suppose someone will pay 17M, can't stop stupidity.

They definitely had hoped he worked out at RT.

I can't blame a bad team for their desperation, he's definitely a good OG. But he was never going to be re-signing for that monster contract with us, so its odd to see so many shocked by the development.

You always sacrifice the OG's first. They are the least important position, its just the nature of the business.

Blindside OT, Center, front side OT just take priority, even when they aren't as good a player, like Austin Jackson, who isn't as good a RT as Hunt is a RG.

Now if we lose Connor Williams as well, I'll start to feel a little uneasy but losing Hunt just doesn't do that for me.

Why wouldn’t they? Hunt is a good, young, ascending player with dual versatility.

People keep on under estimating this on this forum.

Oh he’s not going to get that much.

I’m one of those that’s saying “watch”, “He’s getting it and potentially more!”
Almost any quality player that test free agency comes out a winner, just the way it is and can’t kill a guy for trying. It sucks but you can’t keep everyone that’s why locking them up early is the best way to go whenever possible.

if we were to only keep one then Hunt is the one to keep as he's younger and he's been healthier.....Williams might not even be ready to start the season.....I have an idea as to what the team wants to do but a lot of people won’t like it.

if both Hunt and Williams leave.......the two guards spot and center will be filled from a ground of ONE draft pick.....a cheap veteran free agent and the other spot will go to the winner of Eich/Cotton/Hayes/kion Smith.......not saying that's what I want.....just saying that's what I think the team is thinking

Agreed. And that's what worries me.

But we'll have to wait and see.

So, we should release him and pay him? We have to pay him anyway.
Sorry, but I don't care about or follow the salary cap implications for everyone. I say this because I think it's stupid how they structure contracts so that money for a player can be counted against the cap even after he's gone. I think it should be a player gets so much $ in a year, and that's the number used against the cap. What the heck is "dead money"? Why is there "guaranteed" money? If a player leaves the team for whatever reason, then you don't have to give him any more money... simple. There's no need to make this so complicated!

I agree, but the premise to which I was responding seemed to say rather than resign Hunt and Williams, an option was to draft their replacements.

Relying on the draft to field a competent and cohesive Oline is risky. Too risky, IMO.
Risky because Grier has shown that he can't build a good o-line. If he's lucky, he'll end up with an average line after using top picks, while other teams find decent guys later in the draft.

I don't know how many guys have ever waited until June 1st to sign a new deal when they were UFA. If it were an extension I'd get it. Thats a pretty risky proposition to wait on a team if you're getting big offers in March.
Exactly! I bet Hunt will be signed within the first few days of free agency. There is no way he is going to wait until June to sign a new contract.

if we were to only keep one then Hunt is the one to keep as he's younger and he's been healthier.....Williams might not even be ready to start the season.....I have an idea as to what the team wants to do but a lot of people won’t like it.

if both Hunt and Williams leave.......the two guards spot and center will be filled from a ground of ONE draft pick.....a cheap veteran free agent and the other spot will go to the winner of Eich/Cotton/Hayes/kion Smith.......not saying that's what I want.....just saying that's what I think the team is thinking

don't disagree at all. I just find it hard to believe, given the holes to fill, Grier/Mcd/staff would be willing to give away both quality starters and need to find 3 starters in one off-season.
Like everyone here, I have no inside information and am only reading tea leaves. But, IMO, willingly losing two quality starters gives the appearance they're willing to risk losing games.

Almost any quality player that test free agency comes out a winner, just the way it is and can’t kill a guy for trying. It sucks but you can’t keep everyone that’s why locking them up early is the best way to go whenever possible.

Agreed! Were actually lucky A.Jackson was okay for extending mid-season.

He would have been gone if he tested FA

I agree 100%.

There is no way Miami is fixing the interior line if need be, done solely in the draft, not only tough to do, and taking resources to other positions we need to fix, but three rookies inside means a probable decline in running game, and possible death for Tua.

Getting one linemen early, a solid (But not breaking the bank) FA, and one of our remaining players that played better then most expected last year is as good and smart a plan as anyone could expect.

Back
Top Bottom