Hunt to Test F/A | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hunt to Test F/A

I don't consider a player who played 70 snaps last year depth. We at least need to get Lamm back IMO. Then I think we are okay at LT.

Still for a small school prospect, he didn’t give up a sack. There’s enough potential there to at least call him depth. Especially when compared to our OG situation where we basically have Liam Eichenberg.

Still for a small school prospect, he didn’t give up a sack. There’s enough potential there to at least call him depth. Especially when compared to our OG situation where we basically have Liam Eichenberg.
Unfortunately potential and production are two different things. I wouldn't think the FO is comfortable risking the LT position with TA's injury history on Smith. If that's what happens, I'm getting my popcorn for the discussion around here.

Sorry, but I don't care about or follow the salary cap implications for everyone. I say this because I think it's stupid how they structure contracts so that money for a player can be counted against the cap even after he's gone. I think it should be a player gets so much $ in a year, and that's the number used against the cap. What the heck is "dead money"? Why is there "guaranteed" money? If a player leaves the team for whatever reason, then you don't have to give him any more money... simple. There's no need to make this so complicated!
Sorry you don't understand.

It's widely thought that the 49ers had the league's best OL. They lost the Super Bowl, not all because the OL was dominated but it played a large part. Grier knows the OL needs addressing, he said it at his combine presser. I think he expects to lose either Hunt or Williams. I like Hunt and would go 12 M to keep him, I don't know that you sign both without losing Wilkins.
Who thought that? The 49ers have a really good left tackle and nothing else really special. PFF had the San Francisco line rated 15th.

Armstead, Signed to a five-year, $75 million deal prior to the 2022 season, he remains under contract through 2026, owed more than $20 million in 2024, per Over the Cap.
And if he decides to retire due to so many injuries, why should Miami still have to pay him? Technically and logically, retiring before the end of the contract would be a breach of contract, so the contract would be null and void and they wouldn't owe him anything. And yet, if he retires, his money still counts against the cap. This is why it makes no sense to me, because I think logically, but these players and GMs use "creative accounting" to get around stupid rules and regulations which shouldn't exist in the first place!

And if he decides to retire due to so many injuries, why should Miami still have to pay him? Technically and logically, retiring before the end of the contract would be a breach of contract, so the contract would be null and void and they wouldn't owe him anything. And yet, if he retires, his money still counts against the cap. This is why it makes no sense to me, because I think logically, but these players and GMs use "creative accounting" to get around stupid rules and regulations which shouldn't exist in the first place!
That's the rules set forth for them to play with, as with every team. Remember Eddie DeBartolo? He still might owe players money.(sic)

Because it's guaranteed money. He could retire day 1 of his contract and we would owe it to him.

They won't, that's why Dallas let him walk.

That’s what I figure. My guess is he’s offered okay money as a guard however Miami will value him as an elite center while others probably won’t play him at center. He hasn’t played guard in two years either plus coming off another torn ACL. My guess is market hits him hard and hopefully comes back tail tucked.

That's the rules set forth for them to play with, as with every team. Remember Eddie DeBartolo? He still might owe players money.(sic)

Because it's guaranteed money. He could retire day 1 of his contract and we would owe it to him.
I understand that those are the rules they've made, but that doesn't mean that I have to think that they are logical or make sense. I see them as being "shady" business practices where GMs can use "creative accounting" to "kick the can down the road" when it comes to fiscal responsibility. IOW, a team will have no problem with "mortgaging the future" when signing an expensive Free Agent to a big contract, even though it affects the team's future ability to build and sustain a talented roster.

That’s what I figure. My guess is he’s offered okay money as a guard however Miami will value him as an elite center while others probably won’t play him at center. He hasn’t played guard in two years either plus coming off another torn ACL. My guess is market hits him hard and hopefully comes back tail tucked.
I'd rather replace Williams, who is now "damaged goods", than give him a big contract.

def, I am sure we tried with the others and I completely understand a player wanting the bag, it's a risk for them and often it is rewarded.

With that being said from a $$$ perspective his agent is an idiot.
Lol, AJ prior to getting hurt was "finally" showing he was a top notch RT.
Obviously he's young, athletic, and ascending like crazy.

He and his agent absolutely left money on the table by not testing the FA period.

As a Dolphins fan I want all our good players back at the best deals possible for the team.
But taking fandom out of the equations these players have a short career windows. If the money isn't close I have no issues with chasing the $$$.

Last edited:
I'd rather replace Williams, who is now "damaged goods", than give him a big contract.

He’ll be fine. Acl’s aren’t critical for olinemen especially if he’s cheaper. What we can’t do it have to replace all three interior linemen plus maybe armstead.

He and his agent absolutely left money on the table by not testing the FA period.

As a Dolphins fan I want all our good players back at the best deals possible for the team.
But taking fandom out of the equations these players have a short career windows. If the money isn't close I have no issues with chasing the $$$.

Win some lose some best to take the guaranteed money rather than risk it. We offered Williams a contract and now he’s coming off an ACL tear. That’s an ACL tear in both knees now. Teams probably hesitate to give him a multi year deal now when he could have been locked up prior to the injury. It’s the nfl, no tomorrow is guaranteed.

I think variables come in to play. I put myself in their shoes and there are circumstances that might make me stay put even if it’s less money. Some may find that they can live very nicely on say 15 million a year versus 18,000 million per year without completely uprooting your life

I may have a family, wife or girlfriend in the area that may not want to move away or have me away a lot, I may be very happy and comfortable where I am at and don’t want to start New somewhere else. Some people might love moving around others might like to stay put if life is good and maybe that extra million a year at that salary isn’t worth it to them.

I mean, if we’re talking 200,000 a year versus 300,000 a year I’ll move almost anywhere but when you already have multi millions I’m not sure another few million is worth it for everybody. I think that’s what causes some players to leave some on the table Versus others who may be in it strictly for the max Money, and frankly may not have much baggage at home.

Back
Top Bottom