Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense

Defense was bottom of the barell
They held KC and Buffalo to 14 points and yet lost both those games. They gifted the offense 14 points against the Titans. They scored a TD against Philly. Offense was the perennial no show in big games last year outside of September. They were 6 feet below the barrel.

This isn’t even close to accurate. First, let’s not understate just how much the Titan loss was on Vic, and just how damaging the loss was. Even if the rest of the regular season played out EXACTLY the same way, if Miami doesn’t gack up the lead to Tennessee, they finish as the AFC East Champs, the 2 seed, and would have been hosting an awful Pittsburg team in Round 1.

I also put more of the blame of the Baltimore fiasco on Vic and the Defense. If we go back and look at that game, Miami and the offense actually came out swinging and it was a dog fight after 1 qtr. Tyreke dropping a for sure TD, and the defense giving up huge play after huge play is what got that game out of hand and fast. McD certainly isn’t without blame for that loss, but I’m not sure what more the offense was supposed to do when the defense is literally giving up career days to Lamar and several other Baltimore offensive players. Sure, McD and Tua started pressing but I’m not sure you can blame them when it was more than obvious we wouldn’t be getting any defensive stops.

Maybe more importantly, I don’t remember McD, Tua, or anybody else on offense chucking Fangio’s D under the bus with backbiting. Fangio was petty, not as good as advertised, and was obviously in Miami for a 1 year paycheck. A hallmark of great teams is sometimes an offense or a defense isn’t having a great day, so the other side picks up the slack and gets the job done. It’s a concept that still seems to evade Fangio even with all his years of experience. I hope he enjoys next season in Philly, coaching under an HC that just got finished making his previous coaching staff sacrificial lambs in an attempt to save his own ass.

I’m happy Vic’s gone, I’m happy with his replacement, and I hope there’s a time in the not too distant future where we’re not even discussing the crotchety old prick. Sending him on his way was a win-win for all parties.
So let me get this straight.

The offence scored 9 points after the first quarter when they held a 3 point lead, 6 of those points with 8 minutes left in the game and somehow it's entirely on the defence.

You should be thanking Vic for keeping this team in games as it crumbled down the stretch and early too if playing a decent team. It’s not often a team can lose multiple games the defense scores a TD but we pulled it off. It’s not often teams hold KC to 14 points and none in the second half. Still not enough for our offense to actually pull out a win though.

Thanks for the 10 points at Philly offense, thanks for the 14 at home against Buffalo with the division on the line. Thanks for the inability to put away the Raiders almost losing that game before Vic and Ramsey sealed the deal, thanks for that same inability to close out the Titans.

Offense was fools gold while the D actually turned into a good unit before being decimated by injury but even then it was the better unit on the field in KC in the playoffs.
lol, everyone was to blame but Fangio was #1

No fan of Gio but we were playing relatively ok D (except Titans game) until our D started coming off injured one by one. Holland, Baker, JP, X, Chubbs ..did I miss anyone?

Look at the D we rolled out in minus 30 in KC.

That being said he didn't seem to be a good fit though I was hopeful. Anyways matters not now.

2024 is here.

Fangio wasn’t shy about stating that the offense didn’t carry its weight at the end of the season as the coaching staff heard over and over again.

Hell, neither was I at the end of the season! Anyone with eyes could see that. Although, they scored enough in the Titans game to win that one, that was a historic defensive collapse that cost us big time, so glass houses is all I’m saying…

We were a below average defense period end of story

#21 in points allowed, below average.

He sucked

This isn’t even close to accurate. First, let’s not understate just how much the Titan loss was on Vic, and just how damaging the loss was. Even if the rest of the regular season played out EXACTLY the same way, if Miami doesn’t gack up the lead to Tennessee, they finish as the AFC East Champs, the 2 seed, and would have been hosting an awful Pittsburg team in Round 1.

I also put more of the blame of the Baltimore fiasco on Vic and the Defense. If we go back and look at that game, Miami and the offense actually came out swinging and it was a dog fight after 1 qtr. Tyreke dropping a for sure TD, and the defense giving up huge play after huge play is what got that game out of hand and fast. McD certainly isn’t without blame for that loss, but I’m not sure what more the offense was supposed to do when the defense is literally giving up career days to Lamar and several other Baltimore offensive players. Sure, McD and Tua started pressing but I’m not sure you can blame them when it was more than obvious we wouldn’t be getting any defensive stops.

Maybe more importantly, I don’t remember McD, Tua, or anybody else on offense chucking Fangio’s D under the bus with backbiting. Fangio was petty, not as good as advertised, and was obviously in Miami for a 1 year paycheck. A hallmark of great teams is sometimes an offense or a defense isn’t having a great day, so the other side picks up the slack and gets the job done. It’s a concept that still seems to evade Fangio even with all his years of experience. I hope he enjoys next season in Philly, coaching under an HC that just got finished making his previous coaching staff sacrificial lambs in an attempt to save his own ass.

I’m happy Vic’s gone, I’m happy with his replacement, and I hope there’s a time in the not too distant future where we’re not even discussing the crotchety old prick. Sending him on his way was a win-win for all parties.

The D gave the O the ball at TEN's 7 and 12, resulting in two TDs. That's the good news.
The D gave up 2 TDs in the final minutes. That's the bad news.
It is fair to say the O *AND* the D sucked. That is a true statement. Either unit could have won the TEN game with better play. I've already posted data how bad the O was in 2H for SEVENTEEN GAMES. Others have confirmed that with differing data. It isn't possible to deny that. But, starting 2H of the TEN game, VF seemed to mail it in. Became better in the NYJ, DAL, and BUF games, with the injuries. I'm unsure what happened, but VF seemed to lose that 'adjust on the next drive' ability. Again, it's fair and accurate to blame both sides.

So let me get this straight.

The offence scored 9 points after the first quarter when they held a 3 point lead, 6 of those points with 8 minutes left in the game and somehow it's entirely on the defence.

I never said McD and the offense were blameless, and I even pointed it out in my comment. Sadly, I’m not surprised at all people decided to ignore that part.

My entire point is that we’re not getting reports of McD bus chucking Fangio and going at him when there was certainly some blame for him to carry too.

Fangio wasn’t interested in team unity. He wasn’t interested in sticking it out in Miami for the long haul. He wasn’t interested in working hand in hand with McD in any way, shape, or form. He was a stubborn prick who wasn’t as good as advertised and possibly let our 2nd round pick waste his rookie season for apparently no good reason.

It was a good divorce for everyone. This team wasn’t getting to where it needs to get with that type of personality running the D.

I never said McD and the offense were blameless, and I even pointed it out in my comment. Sadly, I’m not surprised at all people decided to ignore that part.

My entire point is that we’re not getting reports of McD bus chucking Fangio and going at him when there was certainly some blame for him to carry too.

Fangio wasn’t interested in team unity. He wasn’t interested in sticking it out in Miami for the long haul. He wasn’t interested in working hand in hand with McD in any way, shape, or form. He was a stubborn prick who wasn’t as good as advertised and possibly let our 2nd round pick waste his rookie season for apparently no good reason.

It was a good divorce for everyone. This team wasn’t getting to where it needs to get with that type of personality running the D.
Great post @Aqua Man . Can't wait to see the new dynamic with McD-Weaver in '24, they seem to be in lock step from day 1. Good riddance Vic, we hardly knew ye ( and that's probably a good thing! )

Fangio wasn’t shy about stating that the offense didn’t carry its weight at the end of the season as the coaching staff heard over and over again.

Didn't carry it's weight at the end of the season, yet still finished as the #2 scoring offense in the league. And top 5 in many other categories.

I guess Fangio missed the part about 3-4 starting lineman being out of the lineup for much of the season, including those games where the offense didn't carry it's weight.

If Fangio was really concerned about "pulling weight" he could point to himself and the Tennessee game where his defense surrendered 15 points in the final 2 drives and 3 minutes of the game. That IS the game that lost Miami the AFC East title and a home playoff game.

Yes, Jaelan Phillips was OUT, as were a couple other important defensive players. But since Fangio and others don't feel injuries and absences excuse the offensive struggles, then that card can't be played defensively.

Considering everything that did and didn't happen this season -- the offense was in the top 3 in the league. The defense was not. FACTS.

The offense was being talked about as a historic #1 after 5 weeks, so finishing top 3 isn't really something to brag about.

The offence scored 22, 19 and 7 points down the stretch when it mattered.

The truth is we have issues on both sides of the ball.

We scored 30 or more points 8 times last season.

It happened 4 out of the first 6 games and then 4 times in the last 12 games.

Didn't carry it's weight at the end of the season, yet still finished as the #2 scoring offense in the league. And top 5 in many other categories.

I guess Fangio missed the part about 3-4 starting lineman being out of the lineup for much of the season, including those games where the offense didn't carry it's weight.

If Fangio was really concerned about "pulling weight" he could point to himself and the Tennessee game where his defense surrendered 15 points in the final 2 drives and 3 minutes of the game. That IS the game that lost Miami the AFC East title and a home playoff game.

Yes, Jaelan Phillips was OUT, as were a couple other important defensive players. But since Fangio and others don't feel injuries and absences excuse the offensive struggles, then that card can't be played defensively.

Considering everything that did and didn't happen this season -- the offense was in the top 3 in the league. The defense was not. FACTS.
will Levi’s made Fangios ass bleed…. What

Fangio mopped up on horrible offenses and caved in to any decent offense . The proofs in the pudding 🍰

Back
Top Bottom