I dont understand reaching when you have a top 10 pick... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I dont understand reaching when you have a top 10 pick...

I agree we have to address the line, and I agree that LT is the leading candidate for upgrade. I do not agree with the premise that upgrading LT is the entire/only fix to the QB protection problem.

The line was playing better last year in the second half of the season. Not great, but serviceable. Several things contribute to them playing poorly, and also to them improving. The line was in flux from the year before, with no really clear starters at the beginning of '06 camp at any position except maybe RG. This continued into the season due to several injuries and reshuffling of the line. Add to that an immobile QB and some horrible play calling. By the end of the season, the line was starting to gel, the play calling had marginally improved, and we had a QB that could roll out.

I would gladly take another Richmond Webb with the 9th pick, but I also think that with the guys we have on the roster now, we could get a big, mean, nasty, G or C in FA and plug him in, and it would upgrade the entire line. Most of the sacks that I saw last year came right up the middle. And with CPep healed or Lemon in the backfield, we have a mobile QB not a sitting duck. With much better offensive play calling, (which has a HUGE impact on the line play!), I think we still end up with a line in the top half of the league.
I was not impressed with DMac two years ago, but he seemed to play much better at LT this past year, so if we don't draft at LT, I would re-sign him if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
IMO
:dolphins:

DMac will be an UFA and believe it or not he'll be the top rated LT :shakeno: now that's crazy. Anyway, FA starts more than a month before the draft so that's plenty of time for another team to throw a wad of cash his way. So again I ask who is our starting LT?

The days of us having just decent linemen will be behind us come this off-season imo.

Now as far as L. Brown goes he's a stud. I don't need to listen to these tv draftniks and/or web draft experts. From what little I witnessed this year Brown dominates the LOS.

I agree, but neither Ginn or Jarrett are that player IMO. IF it is somebody that you reallyfeel is OMFG... then he be ready to be a starter from day 1...

The point is that there are not many of those players in a draft. Johnson, Thomas, Russell, maybe Quinn. These are the OMG players, and of course you take any of them that drop to you at #9.

After that the water gets muddy. Do you take Branch or Okoye? I wouldn't, when we already have 4 young players with huge potential on the roster at that position. Adams or Anderson? Sure they could help, but I would shy away from the D side of the ball until we get the O shaped up a bit. You begin to evaluate need, because the value at several positions is much closer. The single, biggest aspect of the Fin's game that is lacking in actuality and future potential is the passing game. Upgrade the line, the WR spot, QB position. Out of all of those positions, the WR spot is the one with the least current potential on the roster, and the least potential to upgrade in FA.

again... JMO. :)

I coundn't take passing on Quinn, if there at #9 and watching him turn into another Drew Brees...........while we wait for a qb to return from a major injury, and hope he regains his form from 2004.....Ginn, also helps a stumbling return game, along with being and immeadiate deep threat....with all the wide recievers screens and end around runs, there will plenty of oppurtunities to use that blazing speed.....

I belive at this posting we has officially passed up on brees 2, 340, 231 times...

once again who is the best palyer out of the top 10 (right now anyways) if thomas, russell, and johnson are gone?

heres another interesting posibility,, say both linemen are gone and quinn is gone. what happens if peterson falls to us? Is he better then brown? does cam think he would be better for his style?

Heres 1 more for you. You are Cam Cameronand you dont care about needs at #9. You want to pick up the player that fits you and that ushers in your era. You dont even care if you move to the #1 spot to get him. Who is that player?

I belive at this posting we has officially passed up on brees 2, 340, 231 times...

once again who is the best palyer out of the top 10 (right now anyways) if thomas, russell, and johnson are gone?
What if you don't think those are the top players to begin with? What if you see the huge bust potential that Russell has because he makes poor decisions?
heres another interesting posibility,, say both linemen are gone and quinn is gone. what happens if peterson falls to us? Is he better then brown? does cam think he would be better for his style?
Trade down

Heres 1 more for you. You are Cam Cameronand you dont care about needs at #9. You want to pick up the player that fits you and that ushers in your era. You dont even care if you move to the #1 spot to get him. Who is that player?

Joe Thomas, because you've already stated you believe it all starts up front on both side of the ball.

I care not about Jason Allen's feelings. He's a career backup/special teams guy who happened to be picked in the first round. Let's draft Nelson and get a guy some attitude and pep on defense!

Wow, I don't know of anyone who is a decent judge of talent who thinks that.

DMac will be an UFA and believe it or not he'll be the top rated LT :shakeno: now that's crazy. Anyway, FA starts more than a month before the draft so that's plenty of time for another team to throw a wad of cash his way. So again I ask who is our starting LT?

The days of us having just decent linemen will be behind us come this off-season imo.

Now as far as L. Brown goes he's a stud. I don't need to listen to these tv draftniks and/or web draft experts. From what little I witnessed this year Brown dominates the LOS.

Leonard Davis or Mike Gandy are higher rated UFA LTs in my opinion. We should be able to sign one of them for cheaper than Brown is going to cost at #9.
:dolphins:

Trading down would be good if we get a good deal

For example, Carolina trades us Dan Morgan and their 14th pick for our 9th pick......14th pick would be good, we could still get Levi Brown and either Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson could be there, and the dark horse.....Dwayne Jarret

Trading down would be good if we get a good deal

For example, Carolina trades us Dan Morgan and their 14th pick for our 9th pick......14th pick would be good, we could still get Levi Brown and either Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson could be there, and the dark horse.....Dwayne Jarret

What?!?!?

You do realize he's pretty much done right? Way to many concussions.

[quote=IluvJuMiami;1061781748]
And Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry, I think they are both solid players but I have a big problem going saftey two years in a row. Not only is it unfair to the franchise because maybe Jason Allen get's caught behind the rookie or frustrated with the thought of Miami not believing in him and lapses never getting the proper time to flourish, but safety is not a major need postion for us. We have youth and talent with Allen, Bell and Hill. IMO all three guys are more than serviceable.

quote]

I care not about Jason Allen's feelings. He's a career backup/special teams guy who happened to be picked in the first round. Let's draft Nelson and get a guy some attitude and pep on defense!

Hence the reason why I stated "it is unfair to the franchise" and not "Jason Allen." If you think I choose Allen over the Dolphins I will tell you as plain as I can, you are wrong.

Allen may only need time to grow. If you don;t give it to him we'll never know.

You can't realistically say that. He didn't win them by himself, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without decent blocking on front of him. I see your point but to say he won them by himself is a bit much.

I knew someone was bound to go there. At the very least it's from a poster who I consider to be very sensible.

Would you say that Marino wasn't the only reason this franchise stayed above water for as long as it did? you could defintely make the arguement, but in life evrything is debatable, everything has two sides. I know you need a center to snap the ball, a tackle to cover yourr backside, a reciever to catch it, but you know what I mean. Without Marino, the equation falls apart. Same goes for Bush in those two games.

I knew someone was bound to go there. At the very least it's from a poster who I consider to be very sensible.

Would you say that Marino wasn't the only reason this franchise stayed above water for as long as it did? you could defintely make the arguement, but in life evrything is debatable, everything has two sides. I know you need a center to snap the ball, a tackle to cover yourr backside, a reciever to catch it, but you know what I mean. Without Marino, the equation falls apart. Same goes for Bush in those two games.

Well thanks :D

I definitely see your point. Too many variables for a definitive answer though.

What?!?!?

You do realize he's pretty much done right? Way to many concussions.

:lol: yeah I know it was just an example...a bad one though

alright let me try this again

for example, The Titans trade us Keith Bullick and their 18th pick for our 9th pick...

dang that sucks too..

just forget it ok!

I tried!

Miami shouldnt trade their pick at all

:lol: yeah I know it was just an example...a bad one though

alright let me try this again

for example, The Titans trade us Keith Bullick and their 18th pick for our 9th pick...

dang that sucks too..

just forget it ok!

I tried!

Miami shouldnt trade their pick at all

Actually, if they throw in a 3rd or maybe even a 4th I'd take that in a heartbeat. He is still relatively young and the cornerstone of their defense, hence the reason they probably wouldn't trade him.

Actually, if they throw in a 3rd or maybe even a 4th I'd take that in a heartbeat. He is still relatively young and the cornerstone of their defense, hence the reason they probably wouldn't trade him.

Yeah I think he is very under rated

Back
Top Bottom