I dont understand reaching when you have a top 10 pick... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I dont understand reaching when you have a top 10 pick...

I agree, but neither Ginn or Jarrett are that player IMO. IF it is somebody that you reallyfeel is OMFG... then he be ready to be a starter from day 1...
okay Im big on Jarrett so for a minute forget about him. For the #9 postion who is you OMFG how is he still there player?

Perhaps, and Daunte has one heck of an arm, but even he cant throw the bomb while on his backside.
If we dont get some serious horses up front, its gonna be another long season.

One think I have ALWAYS lamented over is the fact that you hardly ever see Brady get sacked (Cept against us of course:lol: ). That guy usually has time to go over not only first and second read, but ALL his progressions. Last year, our collective QB's didnt have time to try to spot the primary much less secondary.

So, unless our passing game consists of Ginn going long and the other nine guys back blocking, we better figure out the Oline---IMO of course:wink:

You are certainly right when it comes Tom Brady's protection. The guy has time to have an expresso and a smoke before he launches the pigskin.

But I have a feeling that even with protection, defenses will continue to dare us to drive 70-80 yards on them with out making a mistake. And as much as I hate to say it, I don't think we can do it. I think we are capable of maybe two 70-80 yard drives in a game and then we have to hope we punch it in for 6 to boot.

A talent like Ginn, if he can bring it to the NFL, will threaten to put up 6 points every time he touches the football. For a team that averaged 16 points a game, it doesn't get any more importnat than that.

I realize we have needs, but we have a top 10 pick. Unless you can get a 2 1st rounders or a decent 1st round and 2 or 3 other 1st day picks i dont see trading down.

right now Levi brown is listed as the 2nd best olineman but NOBODY has him listed as a top 10 pick. So why would we waste our pick? Why take advantage of the fact that we have an opportunity to pick up a stud at another position?

If Joe Thomas fell to 9 and so did brady it would be a hard pick for me. If things dont change now til the draft we would have a chance to pick up [SIZE=-1]Dwayne Jarrett. I dont have the ability to pass up a 6'4 reciever with his ability. He is a break away reciver and we havent had a reciver that fast since mcknight (he couldnt catch but thats another issue). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I dont think Pep is gonna ever be at is 2004 season level again. I think he knee is shot, but if I'm wrong and he can play again then why not get a Moss clone (although a little slower) that he can air it out to? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]And if Quinn manages to fall to us, why not pick up a QB that Weis said was one of the smartest he'd ever worked with?[/SIZE]

If Thomas drops to 9...you pick him up. No doubt about it. Even over Quinn.
Dwane Jarrett is a reach at 9. Believe that. No matter what happens we will have some huge options at 9. We need to pick the best player available.

I realize we have needs, but we have a top 10 pick. Unless you can get a 2 1st rounders or a decent 1st round and 2 or 3 other 1st day picks i dont see trading down.

right now Levi brown is listed as the 2nd best olineman but NOBODY has him listed as a top 10 pick. So why would we waste our pick? Why take advantage of the fact that we have an opportunity to pick up a stud at another position?

If Joe Thomas fell to 9 and so did brady it would be a hard pick for me. If things dont change now til the draft we would have a chance to pick up [SIZE=-1]Dwayne Jarrett. I dont have the ability to pass up a 6'4 reciever with his ability. He is a break away reciver and we havent had a reciver that fast since mcknight (he couldnt catch but thats another issue). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I dont think Pep is gonna ever be at is 2004 season level again. I think he knee is shot, but if I'm wrong and he can play again then why not get a Moss clone (although a little slower) that he can air it out to? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]And if Quinn manages to fall to us, why not pick up a QB that Weis said was one of the smartest he'd ever worked with?[/SIZE]
:clap: I couldnt agree more.

:yeahthat:

Speed means nothing unless you have time to throw. To those who want a 1st rd speed pick no matter what, uh who is our starting LT? We have to pick Brown, especially if we're priced out of any top FA tackle before the draft.

People seem to forget how good the Oline was gelling by season's end. Now, I'm definitely not of the opinion that we should hope that it transcends into next year, we should definitely take the initiative. But IMO, gun to my head you ask me what needs more help, our CBs or our OL, it's hands down the CB's.

I'm not making an argument for Leon Hall(don't like the 5'11 CB sorry) my point is that if the OLine were to take it's improvement into next year, and again I wouldn't just hope on it, but if they would, they'd be more than fine.

Look at what Lamar Smith was able to do with an okay OL and make no mistake about it they were just okay that year so don't go all homer on me.

What we've always lacked is a guy who can demoralize an entire team, an entire defense, an entire stadium by putting up 6 points in a couple of seconds.

You are certainly right when it comes Tom Brady's protection. The guy has time to have an expresso and a smoke before he launches the pigskin.

But I have a feeling that even with protection, defenses will continue to dare us to drive 70-80 yards on them with out making a mistake. And as much as I hate to say it, I don't think we can do it. I think we are capable of maybe two 70-80 yard drives in a game and then we have to hope we punch it in for 6 to boot.

A talent like Ginn, if he can bring it to the NFL, will threaten to put up 6 points every time he touches the football. For a team that averaged 16 points a game, it doesn't get any more importnat than that.

I disagree completely. Our entire team right now is built around sustained drives-both offensively and defensively.
Once again, if the QB whoever it is doesnt have the time, not even Jerry Freakin Rice is gonna shred the d.
Also, not even Reggie freakin bush was able to single-handedly decide games. Do you think that Ted Ginn is gonna be able to?:wink:

Let's assume Thomas, Johnson, and Russell don't fall to #9. That's three players gone leaving eleven players...

Adrian Peterson
Brady Quinn
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Ted Ginn Jr.
Amobi Okoye
Gaines Adams
LaRon Landry
Reggie Nelson
Dwayne Jarrett
Levi Brown

Any of those guys would be a solid pick at #9.
ditto

I disagree completely. Our entire team right now is built around sustained drives-both offensively and defensively.
Once again, if the QB whoever it is doesnt have the time, not even Jerry Freakin Rice is gonna shred the d.
Also, not even Reggie freakin bush was able to single-handedly decide games. Do you think that Ted Ginn is gonna be able to?:wink:

Reggie Bush won two games by himself, ALL by himself. He scored the winning return to comeback in the last moments of a game and had three 20+ yard TD's in a N.O. was trailing in, two of which were screens where he just took off and did what Reggie Bush does best, what only reggie Bush and freaks like him can do.

Without those 2 victories, the Saints go 8-8 and lose a tiebreaker to carolina who had the better division record.

Reggie Bush won two games by himself, ALL by himself. He scored the winnning return to comeback in the last moments of a game and had three 20+ yeard TD's in a N.O. was trailing in, two of which were screens wehere he just took off and did what Reggie Bush does best.

You can't realistically say that. He didn't win them by himself, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without decent blocking on front of him. I see your point but to say he won them by himself is a bit much.

You can't realistically say that. He didn't win them by himself, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without decent blocking on front of him. I see your point but to say he won them by himself is a bit much.

Unless he breaks 11 tackles you can never say that.

:yeahthat:

Speed means nothing unless you have time to throw. To those who want a 1st rd speed pick no matter what, uh who is our starting LT? We have to pick Brown, especially if we're priced out of any top FA tackle before the draft.

I agree we have to address the line, and I agree that LT is the leading candidate for upgrade. I do not agree with the premise that upgrading LT is the entire/only fix to the QB protection problem.

The line was playing better last year in the second half of the season. Not great, but serviceable. Several things contribute to them playing poorly, and also to them improving. The line was in flux from the year before, with no really clear starters at the beginning of '06 camp at any position except maybe RG. This continued into the season due to several injuries and reshuffling of the line. Add to that an immobile QB and some horrible play calling. By the end of the season, the line was starting to gel, the play calling had marginally improved, and we had a QB that could roll out.

I would gladly take another Richmond Webb with the 9th pick, but I also think that with the guys we have on the roster now, we could get a big, mean, nasty, G or C in FA and plug him in, and it would upgrade the entire line. Most of the sacks that I saw last year came right up the middle. And with CPep healed or Lemon in the backfield, we have a mobile QB not a sitting duck. With much better offensive play calling, (which has a HUGE impact on the line play!), I think we still end up with a line in the top half of the league.
I was not impressed with DMac two years ago, but he seemed to play much better at LT this past year, so if we don't draft at LT, I would re-sign him if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
IMO
:dolphins:

[quote=IluvJuMiami;1061781748]
And Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry, I think they are both solid players but I have a big problem going saftey two years in a row. Not only is it unfair to the franchise because maybe Jason Allen get's caught behind the rookie or frustrated with the thought of Miami not believing in him and lapses never getting the proper time to flourish, but safety is not a major need postion for us. We have youth and talent with Allen, Bell and Hill. IMO all three guys are more than serviceable.

quote]

I care not about Jason Allen's feelings. He's a career backup/special teams guy who happened to be picked in the first round. Let's draft Nelson and get a guy some attitude and pep on defense!

I coundn't take passing on Quinn, if there at #9 and watching him turn into another Drew Brees...........while we wait for a qb to return from a major injury, and hope he regains his form from 2004.....Ginn, also helps a stumbling return game, along with being and immeadiate deep threat....with all the wide recievers screens and end around runs, there will plenty of oppurtunities to use that blazing speed.....

Back
Top Bottom